Home improvement (1 Viewer)

Yup thanks you spotted a mistake in my copypaste/columns!

The difference is 1.60 per year per timer/smartplug. I was just running the check to see if I get more is there any point in getting smart plugs or not. For this application, it's a lower case nope.

The smartplug isn't smart enough to run on 5ghz internet so is now just piece of e waste.

What i've found can also help is to get onto the router, turn off 5ghz, set up the offending device, then turn 5ghz back on again. Or you can run them with separate SSIDs? I wouldn't. I think? I kinda forget how it was all set up before this tp-link mesh network thing went in.

What i've found can also help is to get onto the router, turn off 5ghz, set up the offending device, then turn 5ghz back on again. Or you can run them with separate SSIDs? I wouldn't. I think? I kinda forget how it was all set up before this tp-link mesh network thing went in.
you're with Eir? How did you do this?

I have a tonne of devices that don't work anymore since switching to Eir because they need 2.5Ghz

Actually I did more than that. Initially that’s how I set it up, but that broke the phone service, so I put a little 5 port switch between the fibre box and the router they supplied, then connected my router to that switch and configured it with the same broadband APN settings, which effectively gave me two broadband routers. The eir one sits there with only the phone connected to it, while my one does the broadband & wifi & stuff.

ANYWAY you should be able to log into the eir router & disable 5ghz, configure your devices, then reenable 5ghz? I think that used to work for me. You maybe could have two separate SSIDs also, one for each? That’s how the virgin setup *used* to be I think. Sorry it’s all a bit hazy.

ANYWAY you should be able to log into the eir router & disable 5ghz, configure your devices, then reenable 5ghz? I think that used to work for me. You maybe could have two separate SSIDs also, one for each? That’s how the virgin setup *used* to be I think. Sorry it’s all a bit hazy.
yea thats what my research told me too, but I didn't get around to every trying to login to the box. One day, maybe.

Using a Vodafone Gigabox here and it’s pretty easy to separate the two bands in the router settings. We did it because we’ve got an awkward dead zone for Wi-Fi in the kitchen and it would drop completely on dual-band devices even when there was a signal for one or the other.

I’m a big fan of wifi mesh stuff. My router is a tplink ax20 and I’ve two €25 plug in mesh devices, an re300 and an re330 (that one also has an Ethernet port), and the whole thing just *works*.

i've never had a problem that's needed any of that to solve. all sounds too much like work to me (and i work with computers - currently googling the syntax for the setting to manually set the MTU on my cisco VPN connection to see if that will fix the drops)

Just a quick overview of whats going down here

I have the vodaphone box and thats giving solid high speed signal 5ghz across the house, no issues
I have a wifi/cat 5 over plug socket extender that I want to put out in the workshop to have a little dumb music player type pc out there and I also do a lot of DIY planning on gdocs now so just a terminal job out there for the meantime.

Thats the plan anywhooo - I hoping i just plug it in and it all works.

I’m a big fan of wifi mesh stuff. My router is a tplink ax20 and I’ve two €25 plug in mesh devices, an re300 and an re330 (that one also has an Ethernet port), and the whole thing just *works*.

How does the mesh stuff work? Do they pass along signal to the next device or do they all need contact with a hub?

i've never had a problem that's needed any of that to solve. all sounds too much like work to me (and i work with computers - currently googling the syntax for the setting to manually set the MTU on my cisco VPN connection to see if that will fix the drops)
You can test that by pinging a target host and setting the flags to not fragment the packet while gradually decreasing the mtu size. When you hit an mtu that works, that’s the mtu to set.

it's a very specific issue; in the morning, about 4 or 5 minutes after i connect, the connect drops and re-establishes twice. not sure if there's something resetting the MTU which is causing that - i think anyconnect dynamically picks the MTU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back