Solar PV (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 262
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 1
Lads, yis honestly need to have a thread just for the solar

Not just cos people that don't have it can't relate
But sooner or later, we're all gonna be on it, and we'll want a dedicated thread to read through

I know Pete's never busy, so it should be an easy fix
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Might be knocking down half of the gaff at the end of the summer.
There's an old house with at least two extensions built onto it. I might just knock the whole lot back up to the original house, and then put something similar back.
Along with rewire, replumb, heating system install, new floor, new windows, and a new roof. So, there's a solid weekend in it anyway.

It'll be solar central once she's put back together though.

Thinking about this. I wouldn't bother.
They say it's light not sun that gives the power, it is though. North facing panels would be a waste of money.
Still hoping for 7 front and 2 on the side though. Need to hit 9 panels for the €2400 grant.

Apparently north facing is only a bit less efficient than south facing during winter time overcast-y weather, but the real reason to get them is to max out the grant, get them for a marginal cost of like €270 each or something, then move them when the new bit of roof becomes available.

Also I checked this evening and the "north facing" back roof gets some direct sun...for a couple of summer weeks (days?) anyway.

we've had a visit from our solar guy yesterday;
Said the panels have improved so much some we put a deposit down last summer that we no longer need them on our garage, and they may weigh a little more on the house but they're more powerful.
Also means I don't have to run cables to the garage which is great. And also hopefully a cheaper inverter since we don't need one that takes two feeds

So we’ve ended up with 6 to the front and 3 to the back. The 470w panels are just that bit bigger, so my plans went out the window.

Battery and inverter going in now.

we've had a visit from our solar guy yesterday;
Said the panels have improved so much some we put a deposit down last summer that we no longer need them on our garage, and they may weigh a little more on the house but they're more powerful.
Also means I don't have to run cables to the garage which is great. And also hopefully a cheaper inverter since we don't need one that takes two feeds
Would you not be tempted to just go all in and do the garage anyway?

Would you not be tempted to just go all in and do the garage anyway?

Wouldn't be able to afford to go all in right now.
I reckon I may get them to install the 2-array inverter and when the time comes, inspect/investigate their approach and have a go myself when they are Panels are better again, maybe in 3-4 years.

so it turns out there's a problem with 3 of the panels and the roof guy has to come back to check some cabling or something, but even on 66% we're already seeing the benefits. Obviously this is the absolute best weather and it won't be the norm, but still. Very happy with it... 99% "self sufficiency" so far, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back