Home improvement (2 Viewers)

Excellent thread!

I would post here but there's too much crossover with my work situation being a handy person and all that

may need to brush up on my plumbing skills. the overflow pipe from the water tank in the attic was dripping yesterday morning and this morning; it stops when you start to use water, so the working assumption is that the valve in the ballcock mechanism isn't sealing fully and it continues to dribble into the tank after it should have shut off.

Weirdly, that problem never returned. But the day after I posted the above, I spotted our neighbour's overflow pipe was also dripping. Maybe a temporary increase in water pressure?
Today's work was up on the flat roof one the garage and kitchen, using patches of torch on felt to patch up potential leaks in the roof. My hands have multiple little burns on them now.

Weirdly, that problem never returned. But the day after I posted the above, I spotted our neighbour's overflow pipe was also dripping. Maybe a temporary increase in water pressure?
Today's work was up on the flat roof one the garage and kitchen, using patches of torch on felt to patch up potential leaks in the roof. My hands have multiple little burns on them now.
I think you are playing a fucking blinder with all this

The fairest of fucks to you

This is the business for non burny repairs

Pro tip: have a fire extinguisher when you’re blow torching the roof. If it catches fire, you can wave goodbye to your house. There’s a reason that Maynooth University had a new canteen built about 15 years ago and called it the Phoenix…

thankfully this is just the flat roof over the garage and kitchen; it has a half inch thick layer of bitumen or asphalt on it which has shrunk and cracked a little over the 70 years its been there, so i just patch up the cracks every year or two.
i've had roofers come out and quote me for ripping the old stuff off and re-covering it, but they only every want to lay torch-on over the top which doesn't address the underlying problem.

thankfully this is just the flat roof over the garage and kitchen; it has a half inch thick layer of bitumen or asphalt on it which has shrunk and cracked a little over the 70 years its been there, so i just patch up the cracks every year or two.
i've had roofers come out and quote me for ripping the old stuff off and re-covering it, but they only every want to lay torch-on over the top which doesn't address the underlying problem.
And what would you rather they do? Genuine question

strip the covering that's there, off, and replace it with something modern; a neighbour had this done, but that job involved insulating the roof with the replacement covering, which i don't really want to pay for as most of that section is over the garage.

i just don't want to pay for someone to felt over the top of what's there if it's going to continue to shrink, and which could just tear the felt.

strip the covering that's there, off, and replace it with something modern; a neighbour had this done, but that job involved insulating the roof with the replacement covering, which i don't really want to pay for as most of that section is over the garage.

i just don't want to pay for someone to felt over the top of what's there if it's going to continue to shrink, and which could just tear the felt.
Buy something modern, do you mean epdm? Or something similar?

Or are you talking about building a pitched roof?

i haven't done a lot of research into what's available, to be fair.
one other minor complicating factor is that many years ago, a hole was punched through the flat roof for an asbestos flue; and i'd need to get that hole filled in/repaired.

i haven't done a lot of research into what's available, to be fair.
one other minor complicating factor is that many years ago, a hole was punched through the flat roof for an asbestos flue; and i'd need to get that hole filled in/repaired.

so its bitumen/asphalt on concrete - the old mid-20th century favourite?

I can't imagine torchon over that would be subject to any more stress than on a wooden frame roof that was constantly shifting with changing temperature.*

*look at me talking like I have a fucking clue

the main issue is where that feathers up against the wall of the first storey of the house - in places, gaps of half an inch or an inch have opened, and i suspect it'd just pull the felt off slowly.
this also happened recently, i think during the hot spell.

PXL_20220824_103753803a.jpg

the main issue is where that feathers up against the wall of the first storey of the house - in places, gaps of half an inch or an inch have opened, and i suspect it'd just pull the felt off slowly.
this also happened recently, i think during the hot spell.

View attachment 16160

is that the original coating or later torch on?
I've used the below on concrete coves at the edges of roofs

not a permanent permanent solution, and as foul a smelling thing as I've ever applied to anything else.

This is the business for non burny repairs

Tec7 is the biz. best gear widely available for adhesives / sealants

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back