Home improvement (1 Viewer)

This sounds not only understandable technically, but very doable.
Here's how! Solartricity.ie will help you with designing a system and give you an itemised quote based on your roof area and roof tiles etc, they'll give you all the bits down to the correct screws. They deliver or you can fit it in a big car. Then the install is (reportedly) very simple, everything plugs or clicks together, no splicing cables. Solartricity can recommend local installers also apparently, but I've no reviews of that aspect.

They have an 'ask a question' page that's delightful reading. I have no first-hand experience of them, but based on the questions page I love and trust them. Looks like people are doing self installs, from the questions, but that's DC that you're playing with. On a roof.

Here's how! Solartricity.ie will help you with designing a system and give you an itemised quote based on your roof area and roof tiles etc, they'll give you all the bits down to the correct screws. They deliver or you can fit it in a big car. Then the install is (reportedly) very simple, everything plugs or clicks together, no splicing cables. Solartricity can recommend local installers also apparently, but I've no reviews of that aspect.

They have an 'ask a question' page that's delightful reading. I have no first-hand experience of them, but based on the questions page I love and trust them. Looks like people are doing self installs, from the questions, but that's DC that you're playing with. On a roof.

Do the SEAI grants still apply if you're to install it yourself?

Re choice of electric heater, in case you haven't already considered it, the nicest heat is from the oil filled - there's no smell or dryness or noise like there can be with the ones with the element. They're also pretty efficient if you're timing them on for long enough to come up to full heat, they'll stay banging out the heat for a long time after they're switched off. Also pretty safe unsupervised, if you're looking at timing them on twice a day to keep an empty room in good condition.

For very quickly heating up a human, the halogen heaters are very light on power to run. And available super cheap. They won't do much for your house though.

I don't know what the power ask is like from a dehumidifier, but it might be worth it.

Update on the winter gas / UTM discussion.

After not really point it out other than trying to guess what fuckery putin would unleash around october today we are filling the gas tank as the cheapest get through winter option.

I am also gonna throw an oil filled one on a low thermstat at the cold part of the house just to ward off condensation (i also sleep there).

Both types of solar was referring to
A: the type that makes electricty
B: the type that makes water warm.

Gonna do some math and study on this place over the next few months around BTU / Current Electricity Load / Electricty load heating from electric and see whats going to work long term.
Also gonna run the math on gas / electric for this.

Both electric showers went kaput last week. One was ancient anyway and the other only had a small issue.
Would have replaced both with brand new units (because when we get solar and a heat pump we plan on having an always hot water tank) but I found the fault in the newer shower and ordered a replacement part which Sorted it! And bought the same model again almost brand new secondhand down the road to replace ancient one.
Now to install the fucking thing...

Bumped against a pipe that has no support and water started pissing out of the side of the radiator. Managed to isolate radiator, loosen the collar, push the pipe in to be more snug and stuck a bit of a brick under it between the joists to support it and tightened the collar. Day and ceiling/floor saved!

Ha. Night nearly ruined; fucking plumbing again. Didn't see a pipe when I was jamming in a crow bar under an old floorboard, I heard the water hissing and pissing out and copped. Closed off all valves and under instructions from my aul fellah (with me panicking and roaring at the missus to go get some towels), cut the pipe and then used a vice grips to bend it back on itself and close off the flow. Was going nowhere anyway. Sorted again. Bit hairy though!

Ha. Night nearly ruined; fucking plumbing again. Didn't see a pipe when I was jamming in a crow bar under an old floorboard, I heard the water hissing and pissing out and copped. Closed off all valves and under instructions from my aul fellah (with me panicking and roaring at the missus to go get some towels), cut the pipe and then used a vice grips to bend it back on itself and close off the flow. Was going nowhere anyway. Sorted again. Bit hairy though!

Fairplay.
This sort of drama is what has put me off the trades.

It's bad enough in my work, but we're not gonna actually utterly wreck the gaff. Usually.

When the carpets were lifted in the place I grew up in, my dad copped that the freaking floorboard outside my bedroom door was missing two nails, and decided 'aha, that explains the creak' so hammered two nails through it. One through the hot pipe and one through the cold pipe.

When the carpets were lifted in the place I grew up in, my dad copped that the freaking floorboard outside my bedroom door was missing two nails, and decided 'aha, that explains the creak' so hammered two nails through it. One through the hot pipe and one through the cold pipe.

Amazing!
Spose that's why the floorboards man never nailed them down!

So the job I did was only temporary.
Started weeping when we turned the water back in this morn.
Still have to remove a T-Piece and cap it off. Thankfully there's a spare bit of pipe we cut off last night with an end piece on it.
Hope this bloody works. Mr Plumber will take all my money otherwise

Amazing!
Spose that's why the floorboards man never nailed them down!

So the job I did was only temporary.
Started weeping when we turned the water back in this morn.
Still have to remove a T-Piece and cap it off. Thankfully there's a spare bit of pipe we cut off last night with an end piece on it.
Hope this bloody works. Mr Plumber will take all my money otherwise

Also the sister in law stepped in between the joists yesterday when she was over helping us and her leg went through the ceiling into the room below. Was pretty funny after the initial scare. It's Only plasterboard so not too worried about fixing it

Also the sister in law stepped in between the joists yesterday when she was over helping us and her leg went through the ceiling into the room below. Was pretty funny after the initial scare. It's Only plasterboard so not too worried about fixing it

sounds like youre having great fun.
you'll have earned a few beers by the time youre finished!

Bumped against a pipe that has no support and water started pissing out of the side of the radiator. Managed to isolate radiator, loosen the collar, push the pipe in to be more snug and stuck a bit of a brick under it between the joists to support it and tightened the collar. Day and ceiling/floor saved!

Dude, you are sticking with it
Fair fucking balls
Keep that positive attitude going. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back