Home improvement (3 Viewers)

So everything is sanded out and I went nuts with the filler (which I may regret)

View attachment 15887

View attachment 15888

One more sanding
Well two
One with 80 grit, and one with 120
Then hoover it and tack it
Then the fun part
Coats and coats of finish

It is gonna look so good
Here's an update on my floor that everyone has been asking for

All sanded down to 120, hoovered, wiped and tack-clothed

1656784097508.png

First coat of sealer
1656784153824.png
The very old wood absolutely DRINKS it up
1656784165349.png

Excess wiped off. I keep old socks for this kind of thing.

1656784235018.png

Another coat tomorrow

1656784254469.png

what sort of sealer are you using? seems to be darkening the wood very noticeably.
i've never bothered with tack cloths, if it's a wooden floor like that you're not going to worry that much about a little dust, especially if it's not the last coat.

what sort of sealer are you using? seems to be darkening the wood very noticeably.
i've never bothered with tack cloths, if it's a wooden floor like that you're not going to worry that much about a little dust, especially if it's not the last coat.
I'm using this stuff I found online
I wanted something that was going to penetrate the wood, as it's very old.
But also this stuff will be piss easy to recoat in a year or so; just a light scratch, lash the stuff on and done.

It's clear, but the wood is red oak, I think? Fuck knows or how you'd find that out.

Anyways I like it dark enough like that, and I think the old black glue is contributing.
The bathroom will have a lot of white in it. Will be a nice contrast maybe.
Tack cloths are cheap and it only takes a few minutes. Probably doesn't make a difference, like you said. Would just like it done right the first and only time. And I will be barefoot in there a lot.

Second coat tomorrow. The stuff is solvent based. Place smells like a meth house.

I'm using this stuff I found online
I wanted something that was going to penetrate the wood, as it's very old.
But also this stuff will be piss easy to recoat in a year or so; just a light scratch, lash the stuff on and done.

It's clear, but the wood is red oak, I think? Fuck knows or how you'd find that out.

Anyways I like it dark enough like that, and I think the old black glue is contributing.
The bathroom will have a lot of white in it. Will be a nice contrast maybe.
Tack cloths are cheap and it only takes a few minutes. Probably doesn't make a difference, like you said. Would just like it done right the first and only time. And I will be barefoot in there a lot.

Second coat tomorrow. The stuff is solvent based. Place smells like a meth house.

looks good.
the next few coats will probaby even out the dark patches as the lighter stuff darkens more that the already dark bits.

If you wanted to darken down where you've filled you could try dab on a extra coat with a cloth or similar on those parts alone (not that you necessarily want to - the floor wont have a fully even color anyway).

yeah - and the meth house smell is why I'm moving entirely to using non-oil or solvent based finishes/paints etc where possible. (shellac is ethanol soluble - so not nearly as noxious - actually smells quite sweet.)

Put another coat on the floor
The three or four boards on the left are where I transitioned from the last of the sealer to the finish (I just wanted to use it all)
So that looks patchy, but it will look like the rest of it tomorrow

This took forever to soak in, I was cacking

1656933064266.png

Spent a lot of yesterday salvaging about 3 feet of 19th century skirting
It split on me when I was pulling the old lath and plaster off

1656933164951.png

Found the missing piece
1656933205779.png

1656933267089.png

Planed and sanded the fuck out of it

1656933297452.png

Then realised it was too short

1656933330959.png

Found the missing piece in the basement

1656933369593.png

1656933397403.png

Glue up
1656933416961.png
1656933442984.png

Job's a good 'un, right?

1656933475435.png

No, job is not a good 'un
Finally figured out how to get the bottom piece out of the floor

So another glue up
1656933668072.png

1656933684051.png

The sad thing is that I am probably going to have to paint it :-(

I also conjured up a homemade tracksaw
1656933758428.png

1656933775329.png

yeah - and the meth house smell is why I'm moving entirely to using non-oil or solvent based finishes/paints etc where possible. (shellac is ethanol soluble - so not nearly as noxious - actually smells quite sweet.)
We used a water based thing on some floorboards, grand stuff. No smell, dries quickly .

We used a water based thing on some floorboards, grand stuff. No smell, dries quickly .
Does it wear well underfoot?

I like some of that real sticky icky
Or I have convinced myself that I need the old stuff with all the chemicals

any time i've varnished floors, i've used water based acrylic. would not recommend it (well, the stuff i used) for areas which would get wet.

We only did an upstairs bedroom. The bit under the computer chair could do with a freshen up. That's after 2 years. Yea, not great.
The great thing with wood is you can just scuff up in an individual plank or two, give it a wipe with a cloth and throw some stuff down quickly with a brush
You don't need to do the whole floor
Or that's my theory

The great thing with wood is you can just scuff up in an individual plank or two, give it a wipe with a cloth and throw some stuff down quickly with a brush
You don't need to do the whole floor
Or that's my theory

Do you not have to let the wet wood to sit a while to 'raise the grain'?

getting wood wet usually raises the grain fairly instantly, in my experience.
if i'm preparing anything wooden that i know will get wet, i sand it, then wet it to raise the grain, dry it, and sand it again; and sometimes repeat that a second time. means when it does finally get wet, the grain won't raise nearly as much.

getting wood wet usually raises the grain fairly instantly, in my experience.
if i'm preparing anything wooden that i know will get wet, i sand it, then wet it to raise the grain, dry it, and sand it again; and sometimes repeat that a second time. means when it does finally get wet, the grain won't raise nearly as much.
I think I have done that in a few spots on my floor
But by using different sanders

Also if you are varnishing the first coat hardens and brings up the top layer of grain, sand after each coat and you eventually turn the top layer to somthing approaching plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back