Home improvement (1 Viewer)

That said, I still don't get what you said above - will need to read it three or four more times :)

I find it sorta tough too and have to revert back to google A LOT. it wont stick to my brain.

In short: All electric heaters are basically the same despite the marketing.
Everything else, ask @ernesto
Also we live in ring circuit territory because of ww2 copper shortages so doing most sketchy shit is sorta safe, or at least protected.

Stoves and / or back boiler and rads?
I think there might have been a stove in there once. There's a suspicious looking hole in the kitchen wall that looks like it would be the right height for a Stanley or something, and a chimney. But it's not there.

No back boilers as far as I can tell.

re underfloor, I dunno, I just thought that's what would work best? Plus there were so many issues with the floor anyway I thought I could roll a couple of jobs into one.

I find it sorta tough too and have to revert back to google A LOT. it wont stick to my brain.

In short: All electric heaters are basically the same despite the marketing.
Everything else, ask @ernesto
Also we live in ring circuit territory because of ww2 copper shortages so doing most sketchy shit is sorta safe, or at least protected.
The difference with the infrared shit (if the marketing stuff is true) is that you don’t need to have them switched on for as long as standard radiators/convection heating need to be on to effectively heat the same room (or rather the people /stuff in the room) because you’re not heating a load of empty space/air that just rises to the ceiling. Or something.

I’m considering getting one installed in one room (the attic maybe) to see how it performs over winter.

The difference with the infrared shit (if the marketing stuff is true) is that you don’t need to have them switched on for as long as standard radiators/convection heating need to be on to effectively heat the same room (or rather the people /stuff in the room) because you’re not heating a load of empty space/air that just rises to the ceiling. Or something.

I’m considering getting one installed in one room (the attic maybe) to see how it performs over winter.
Some space with thermal mass, an exposed fireplace or even just timber floors would work well also

Would probably be great for drying out a basement

The marketing stuff is utter bollocks. The air needs to be warm for the room to feel warm

My next home improvement thing that will never happen is to dig a basement under the extension we’ll also never get.
When the kids have grown up, finished college, and got jobs and moved out and you've helped them with a deposit and then saved some money for yourself, there'll be time then

The marketing stuff is utter bollocks. The air needs to be warm for the room to feel warm
I think as long as you are in line of sight of the yoke, you're getting warm
And after a while it achieves equilibrium with the air, because the things in teh room are warming the air

I trust Kryten on this

pretty sure NASA would disagree

Pointed out to my Da earlier that his porch is sinking. sliver of a gap of outside light coming in down the frame of the big porch window.
"Expanding foam".
He's not arsed doing anything about it so I thought yeah I suppose fair enough.

Then we go outside and see the porch's pitched roof has separated from the house about an inch at the top and a crack creeping down.

No idea how long or fast or slow that's happening but that's also in addition to the centre of the house dropping 10mm because of shit pipes and crap shower seals. Sodden joists that have to be replaced. Big job.

In the open kitchen dining room the ceiling is removed in a section under the bathroom upstairs.

My gaff might be wonky but at least I don't have that problem (yet)

i once demolished a porch which was doing something similar. a passing car had kicked up a chipping, or a passing ne'er do well had thrown a stone at one of the windows, and the frame was so shot that when the glass broke, the whole thing sagged a little.
an architect friend told me that what i did broke planning law. a quirk of the system is that you're allowed build a porch on the front of your house, as long as it's single storey and doesn't exceed i think 2.5sqm, without needing to apply for planning permission. but if you knock the porch the next day, PP is required.

i once demolished a porch which was doing something similar. a passing car had kicked up a chipping, or a passing ne'er do well had thrown a stone at one of the windows, and the frame was so shot that when the glass broke, the whole thing sagged a little.
an architect friend told me that what i did broke planning law. a quirk of the system is that you're allowed build a porch on the front of your house, as long as it's single storey and doesn't exceed i think 2.5sqm, without needing to apply for planning permission. but if you knock the porch the next day, PP is required.
That sounds nuts.

Sagging Porches, good band name?

another take on the infrared shit

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

another take on the infrared shit

He's cracked the code a little bit on charging the battery at the cheap night rate and then running the heat pump off that.

Not to discount the secret to a happy marriage. She works nights, he works days.
And a clean tidy house - presumably no kids.

Respect a Youtuber who doesn't ask for any subscription or anything, til they've given you something of value.

Have you done your homework on these, Pedro?

He's cracked the code a little bit on charging the battery at the cheap night rate and then running the heat pump off that.

Not to discount the secret to a happy marriage. She works nights, he works days.
And a clean tidy house - presumably no kids.

Respect a Youtuber who doesn't ask for any subscription or anything, til they've given you something of value.

Have you done your homework on these, Pedro?

I’m only scratching the surface.

Is there a video where he lays out his reasoning for transitioning to muted greys with white accent everywhere?

1656771373788.png

1656771419790.png

I'm honestly surprised that plywood didn't get a wallop before the batteries went on it

1656771515116.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back