Home improvement (4 Viewers)

Built-in appliances are daft IMO. Let's make everything in the kitchen indistinguishable!

Yeah - i've found they dont really have a standard face either. The washing machine is going too and i'm just gonna trim off the kickboard and put in a generic one. the price difference is mad too - i guess if they can sell them then they are gonna.

Coming in the next few months, lots of flooring and tiling before and afters...

we recently replaced a built-in dishwasher. we went for a bosch; the choice was a cheap one for about €275 IIRC or the bosch for about €400. also have built in under the counter fridge and separate freezer, but my main issue with the latter is that the door seal has 'relaxed' a little so is not providing an airtight seal for about 15 or 20cm along the top of the door, but a replacement seal is not available, and the freezer slowly frosts up.
if that had happened along the bottom, i suspect it would have necessitated replacing the whole freezer.

we recently replaced a built-in dishwasher. we went for a bosch; the choice was a cheap one for about €275 IIRC or the bosch for about €400. also have built in under the counter fridge and separate freezer, but my main issue with the latter is that the door seal has 'relaxed' a little so is not providing an airtight seal for about 15 or 20cm along the top of the door, but a replacement seal is not available, and the freezer slowly frosts up.
if that had happened along the bottom, i suspect it would have necessitated replacing the whole freezer.

I had detatch the built in door from the wooden doors a few years back because they were making something like that happen. two doors to get into the fridge ever time.

c'mere - where we're on the subject of power tools. anyone have any recommendations for a mid-priced jigsaw?

probably don't want to spend over 70-80 euro.

thinking either/either the below:

Erbauer EJS750 750W Electric Jigsaw 220-240V

want it for curvy cuts in reasonably thick timber primarily, but also straight - so the guide included in the erbaur would be a plus.

Of those two, definitely Erbauer. I have a DeWalt but it's battery powered. I've seen DeWalt mains powered ones around. Everyone I see has Makita or DeWalt, or Milwaukee or Festool if they're showing off.

Good blades and patience are more important. The blade wiggles about when cutting thick wood. I destroyed the door of a boat once trying to make it a little bit shorter. 36mm marine MDF. The inside and outside of the door were anywhere up to 30mm different. It was a shit door anyway. MDF on a boat? G'way.

got it. yeah - it might be a way to go in the medium term if I keep at this lark.

Oh final other considerations

There are two types of replacement blade fits at large on the market

T and U shape - T is easier to replace which is good if you are going from wood to steel or something regular. i'm locked in the U shape economy at present, think i'd be better with T's.

One of my jigsaws is a vintage black and decker with metal body. If you like lots of vibrations and fear i'd recommend one. The good thing about is i got it essentially for postage price on ebay because the previous owner couldn't wire a plug essentially.

Hang on - a jigsaw isn't just for sawing stuff quickly? No wonder I could never get mine to do what I wanted, and always reverted to the handsaw

only small or curved things - depends on what blade you put in it too, and the cut angle adjustment down near the blade is kinda if you want fast or accurate.

circular saw to cut things in straight lines quickly but a jigsaw isn't the worst if you just want to have one electric saw.

when i only had a jigsaw i did a lot with clamping guides on things to do straight lines.

Hang on - a jigsaw isn't just for sawing stuff quickly? No wonder I could never get mine to do what I wanted, and always reverted to the handsaw

That's pretty much all I have ever used it for. Emergencies.

But it's good for curves and notches.

For example, you're doing a set and you've been told all the measurements, shown the CAD drawing by the man in the suit. IT DEFINITELY FITS GUYS!. And then when it comes to putting up the set I'm like "none of us noticed that sprinkler here, or that camera there. it's alright, we'll notch it out with the jigsaw".

at other times, like when we had to black out some church windows, the straight bits were done with a skillsaw, the curvy bit with the jigsaw. 18mm ply cut at 45 degrees. We were up a 13m tall scaff tower, so we measured, went and cut it at ground level, then roped our bespoke window covers up. Didnt' want to fuck about up there. Jigsaw was yer only man for getting the curve of the window right.

I haven't heard of anyone dieing of falling badly cut ply yet, so success! And btw someone else did the cutting, I was too scared. Makita standard he used.

Last edited:
im in the market for a nice cirular saw and jigsaw.
already have a few dewalt cordless tools i got from old work so ill prob keep em the same.

I also have a skill saw that I got for free, from a friend, because reasons. Plus a 5AH battery.

If you've already committed to a brand, then getting body only stuff might be a way to go. How old is your DeWalt stuff?

It's a bit like Photography, it costs much money, but is more likely to make some money back.

Last edited:
I also have a skill saw that I got for free, from a friend, because reasons. Plus a 5AH battery.

If you've already committed to a brand, then getting body only stuff might be a way to go. How old is your DeWalt stuff?

It's a bit like cameras, it costs much money, but is more likely to make some money back.

ah about 4 years old i think.

3 x 5ah batteries
2 x impact driver
1 x sds drill (chuck already replaced)
1 x brushless combi dril (chuckalready replaced)
1 x angle grinder
2 x battery chagers

i was half thkning of getting some cheap parkside tools and then also a battery adaptor but those adaptors are like 50-70 delivered so sscratch that.
yeah i reckon some body only dewalt is my best option. probably selling that second impact driver might help

I don't need a second impact.....or do I?

Interested in the angle grinder and the batteries.

I hate all this hidden shit in kitchens

I have to work with design firms at times and the amount of super rich people hiding shit behind panels is wild
They don't want to see what things are
It's like this Apple design prerogative of everything being smooth with no buttons or wires that everyone is in love with - and it sucks balls - things should be what they are

Working on this right now

1656368605651.png

But you see it everywhere
Like this kitchen seems fine

1656368744361.png

but it comes with doors so you don't have to see it

1656368785893.png

I hate this design aesthetic
LET THINGS BE WHAT THEY ARE

Motherfuckers think they are in Dune

1656368974782.png

Paul Atreides' jacks

1656369134485.png

@Deadmanposting

I was drinking with an architect a while ago and he was talking about in houses you are always trying to tuck away the utlities from the living area. like making a utility room, or putting the kitchen/laundry in one little box to free up the rest. I suppose it's a natural* evolution from this if the market is reducing the amount of rooms for living, you literally have to shit in the living area.

*not the right word for sure

In an old job, a shop-fitting workshop essentially, that shit became a hilarious joke. NO ViSIBLE MECHANICAL FIXINGS!!!! We used to roar that at each other whenever someone suggested just wanging a screw in there.

That doesn't really make any sense, but that's what the client wanted. And dammit, we did it. The amount of money it costed to make that happen though.

+1

I bet those kitchens are a fucking nightmare to cook in. That Leicht one has single tiny sink, and it looks like a 2-ring hob. Fine if you have a servants' kitchen downstairs I suppose
What we get told a lot is that these kitchens - at this end of the market - are less to cook in than entertain in

Not sure how true that is. But it's rich people, what are you gonna do?

We had a rep in from Leicht, and the only thing i could afford from their catalogue was a cutlery organiser that goes in a drawer made from bamboo that was 140 euros

@Deadmanposting

I was drinking with an architect a while ago and he was talking about in houses you are always trying to tuck away the utlities from the living area. like making a utility room, or putting the kitchen/laundry in one little box to free up the rest. I suppose it's a natural* evolution from this if the market is reducing the amount of rooms for living, you literally have to shit in the living area.

*not the right word for sure

I kind of understand the separation - I put my washing machine in the bathroom in my last house, cos it just made more sense there for me than the kitchen. The electrician had a fucking fit, but we got it done.
Crucially I had teh space to do this. Not everyone does.

In an old job, a shop-fitting workshop essentially, that shit became a hilarious joke. NO ViSIBLE MECHANICAL FIXINGS!!!! We used to roar that at each other whenever someone suggested just wanging a screw in there.

That doesn't really make any sense, but that's what the client wanted. And dammit, we did it. The amount of money it costed to make that happen though.
And yet we all live with this in commercial spaces, how many restaurants you been in with exposed mechanicals and electrics in the ceiling space - just all sprayed a uniform colour so they are pleasing to look at
I'd love more exposed conduit, ducting and the like.

We've also had clients that wanted the "industrial aesthetic". Buy new shit to make it look old.Fake old costs more than real new.
A shoe company wanted a fake steel I beam around their stairwell. Cost more than the steel beam would have.
Nowt as daft as folk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back