Home improvement (2 Viewers)

in the last few days it's started making more noise than usual; i talked to a couple of lads and one said it's almost certainly the bearings, but that it won't crap out instantly, you can get up to a year sometimes before they fail completely.

i've tried bleeding it, didn't seem to be any air in the system, and i'll try cleaning the filter next, for pig iron.

one guy quoted supply and fit of a new pump for €180, or supply and fit of a new shower for €380.
he also seems to sell refurbed pumps for €50, not sure if i'd have the chops (or my wife would let me) to repair an electric shower with a new pump.

TBH honest, unless its a straightforward job and not something too plumber-y, (i sometimes call me Da for his semi-expert advice), id reckon have a go at replacing the pump yourself. youd have to drain the entire heating system though. pumps go eventually so it will need replacing at some point regardless.
youd only be out the price of the pump. installing a new shower with the same / updated model is a piece of piss and totally DIYable
either youre in a for an evening of youtube videos and research and a few hours of trying to fix it, or youre going to just pay the man

id reckon have a go at replacing the pump yourself. youd have to drain the entire heating system though. pumps go eventually so it will need replacing at some point regardless.
it's a cold feed only shower with a tap on the infeed pipe, and a bleed tap too so that shouldn't be the difficult part.

Case study:

Had to unblock the drain under the corner gutter drainpipe. Tried to do it without taking the grill covering the drain off as it was a fairly tight squeeze to remove it from under the drainpipe.

Eventually realised it was a Drain Rod Job and managed to move the drainpipe out of the way enough to remove the cover, whack in the drain rod, and sort the problem.

Went to put the cover back on and the entire drain pipe detached from the gutter and dropped about 3 inches into the drain.

With the assistance of my neighbour I managed to manoeuvre the drainpipe back into place from ground level and got it reconnected(ish) to the gutter, but only after knocking another bit out and dropping it on our heads.

Now I’ve to borrow a ladder and go up and fix the thing properly before the first bit of proper wind brings it all down again.

NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF I’D JUST GAMI TO UNBLOCK THE DRAIN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Or at least it wouldn’t have been MY problem.

40A
Not for the faint hearted.
Before you go near it check that it’s on its own 40a trip switch, and that that trip switch is after the rcb/elcb.
If the answer to part 2 of above is ‘no’ you’ve been risking your life every morning

if it was working fine to begin with, lets assume it was intially wired correctly

if the replacement doesnt work, then maybe question the initial wiring

I’m not suggesting the wiring is at fault in it not working. More to check that it’s been wired properly in terms of safety when/before you’re messing with it.

I’m not suggesting the wiring is at fault in it not working. More to check that it’s been wired properly in terms of safety when/before you’re messing with it.
ah yeah i mean, a shower is on its own circuit so just check the diameter of cable used and the circuit breaker rating and a continiuty test between them wouldnt be a bed idea either

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back