HMV's fucked (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 343
  • Views 32K
  • Watchers 7
Didn't read the article,but do think it has at least as much chance of having a negative effect on smaller shops than positive. Especially if the chain of payment is hit.

Luke them or not,they sold the lions share of physical product. Imagine the stock they have

Obviously not happy they've gone to the wall but when the one here closed, there were AMAZING bargains to be had. Picked up a load of vinyls for about a third of the normal price. I wish they'd open here again, then go to the wall again so there'd be more bargains.

Golden Discs have found a new home on the Northside!

Their new flagship store will officially open in Jervis Shopping Centre tomorrow Saturday 16th November.

2019 has been a year of expansion for Golden Discs and this theme continues with today’s announcement that they will open a flagship store in Dublin’s Jervis Shopping Centre on 16 November. This comes hot on the heels of recent store openings in Drogheda, Sligo and Tralee, bringing the total number of Golden Discs stores to twenty-one. Golden Discs now employ over 150 people nationwide, and the Jervis store will employ ten staff, doubling that number in the Christmas period.

The vinyl renaissance is driving this expansion, and the flagship Jervis store will be a whopping 2,500 square feet full of new release and deep catalogue vinyl. The store will also stock a broad range of turntables, headphones and speakers as well as an extensive range of CD, DVD, Boxset and Blu-ray releases. In addition, the store will carry the groups largest ‘Loot Vault’ section with an increasing array of T-shirts, posters, games, books and limited-edition collectibles for sale. Golden Discs Jervis will be a one-stop shop for all your entertainment needs, perfect for the busy shopper in the run up to Christmas.

CEO Stephen Fitzgerald says, ‘Having only one city-centre store in Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre, we have been inundated with requests to return to the Henry Street shopping district. Our team has spent a lot of time looking for the right space and we believe this spacious flagship store will be a superb return to the Jervis Shopping Centre.’

Golden Discs have also expanded their online offering into international markets, starting with the United States. Last year goldendiscs.ie was the most popular Irish website for music and entertainment, and was voted ‘Top 3’ New Websites of the Year in the 2019 Retail Excellence Awards. Building on this success, goldendiscs.com is a brand new online storefront launching traditional and contemporary Irish artists and music into North America, one of the biggest music markets in the world. Catering to the large Irish diaspora and fans of Irish music, Golden Discs offer sounds of home, from classics such as Planxty to recent hits such as Dermot Kennedy. This site has just launched and is already attracting strong international traffic.

Fifty-seven years after they first launched, Golden Discs is one of Ireland’s most well-known and trusted retail brands, and the expansion they have undertaken in 2019 underscores their continuing success.

Join us this weekend in Jervis Shopping Centre for opening day offers, giveaways and goody bags!

Goldendiscs.ie / @Goldendiscs / Golden Discs

I was in the one in Liffey Valley recently. I overheard a middle-aged lady saying to her daughter; "They're not LPs, they're vinyls"

HMV used to have a decent enough stock -
Worked there for years and the business model was to screw music fans. So a bob dylan catalogue album could be e35+ on cd (if not in a sale). I remember Raging Bull on DVD was 54.99. Nearly all profit.

They'd then order 20,000 copies of the new Coldplay CD and sell cheaper than other places.

The options were great though thanks to good music buyers. They then stopped the staff ordering. They then stopped hiring staff who like music.

I worked on hmv for years in the stockroom.
Those expensive catalogue items were usually imports and were often not currently available domestically . Sometimes it was pulled because a reissue was coming sometimes just the overall interest wasnt there.
Hmv ( or virgin,or tower or whatever) would order from a one stop distributer who in turn was more expensive than buying direct from us record companies. Not quite the gouging commonly believed.

And then of course the staff who would print the wrong sticker that would be more expensive ( could work to make things cheaper too) and then fuck up the stock quantities.

Any shops in town feels like a positive. How the two Tower Records keep going I dunno, must be pure stress paying the rent. I'll go in an buy a couple of CDs in O'Connell street when I'm in town, place isn't hopping.

Any shops in town feels like a positive. How the two Tower Records keep going I dunno, must be pure stress paying the rent. I'll go in an buy a couple of CDs in O'Connell street when I'm in town, place isn't hopping.

whatever about the dawson st one - the one is easons is always pretty quiet when I'm in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back