Hellworld Thread (2 Viewers)

actually, i think the use of the word inefficient was incorrect; i think my main issue was seeing him sandblast something outdoors. i avoid using epoxy/resin in my turning; the world doesn't need more microplastics. but at one point i think i remember seeing him sandblast what was probably a chassis and i couldn't help thinking that everything within a 50m radius (including his veg beds and chickens possibly) were covered in a thin coat of dust of whatever he was sandblasting.

How do you mean seal up? Like stop all the drafts in the house?

That's a fair amount alright. Hm. Seems like it's a bit more than an AC unit in the US, I was expecting it to be about the same.
The heatpump itself was coming in around 8 grand (ex-VAT), but then there was replacing all the radiators (the output from the heatpump is lower than from a boiler, so your radiators need more surface area) and the labour for that, plus VAT

To get the govt grant we'd also need to spend around 2 grand on extra attic insulation - this is for a house that's already airtight (with heat recovery ventilation) and windows that were damn near top of the range when we bought them in 2006. One big thing going against us was the actual shape of the house - it's a narrow bungalow, and so has a high proportion of external wall area

The heatpump itself was coming in around 8 grand (ex-VAT), but then there was replacing all the radiators (the output from the heatpump is lower than from a boiler, so your radiators need more surface area) and the labour for that, plus VAT

To get the govt grant we'd also need to spend around 2 grand on extra attic insulation - this is for a house that's already airtight (with heat recovery ventilation) and windows that were damn near top of the range when we bought them in 2006. One big thing going against us was the actual shape of the house - it's a narrow bungalow, and so has a high proportion of external wall area
Ah, ok. When you break it down it seems a bit more reasonable.

I'll be broke for the forseeable future, so it's a more on the theoretical side anyway!

Nope, your standard fibreglass - supply and fit, plus them putting in a couple of walkways so I could still access stuff like the ventilation unit
Thats interesting. Huge profit margin on that. I did my friends attic as a favour. Brought it up to code. 30 cm. Took me a day. Dirty auld job.

Big profit margin on most building work atm it seems. Got a chimney liner in last week and he charged us 800 quid. Coulda bought one for 300-odd and put it in myself, but I couldn't have signed it off for insurance :/

How long would it have taken him to put in. Generally allow about €40 per hour for labour in building. That's before you consider people with trades like sparks', chippies, pipies, plasties etc.

i used to work with a guy who denied the moon landings happened. i managed to stump him with my first question after he challenged me to name something he couldn't reasonably explain away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back