Hellworld Thread (3 Viewers)

Tell us more about the times you met her! GOSSIP AT ME
my memory is really messed up from that period as I wasn't sleeping, so what I remember is almost random and triggered by something else.

I remember other people getting a bit worked up about her, especially the HBS contingent. I talked to her, or I was introduced to her? because I was considered to be "a technical person", and she apparently was too? I don't know. There are these sort of VC events, and a tiny click of people that rotate through them, so you'd see them in that same context in NYC, then in SF say, then in Phoenix or something. I can't remember where any of the things happened, except for a few which were in bars around NYC that I knew.

Everything that I remember probably doesn't reflect very well on me. I didn't take her seriously, she seemed like an enthusiastic about God American teenagers. Phenomenally sure of herself, talky, smiling, and... yeah, I didn't really care. I think I remember wondering why the fuck am I even being introduced to this person, she wasn't in my field, I didn't have anything to say to her. I only remember it at all because one of the HBS types was really into that thing, and I didn't understand how it worked. I was told "microfluidics", which I don't know anything about. The HBS person got annoyed with me saying I was being obtuse and I DID understand microfluidics but I just didn't want to explain it to HER. I think I saw Elizabeth more than once, because I remember thinking she got dressed up to look like a grownup the second time, but still looked like a teenager.

At some later point I was flown out to the SF to do an interview for another company, just acquired by Illumina I think, who were also talking about this lab on a chip thing, and I remembered thinking that was similar sounding to what they were doing, and I still didn't understand anything about it. Along with the fact that I didn't want their job. Plus rental car I was given had absolutely bollixed brakes, and SF is really really hilly, and I had to drive that VW bastard for the next couple of days.

Wait, you haven't seen the documentary? Dude, watch the documentary, it's so good!
There’s a book too, it’s good but the documentary is *chef kiss* because you really need to see her to believe the weirdness of it all.
I was told "microfluidics", which I don't know anything about.
NEITHER DOES SHE IT TRANSPIRED!

There’s a book too, it’s good but the documentary is *chef kiss* because you really need to see her to believe the weirdness of it all.
Yeah, I need to watch it. I guess I'm not understanding how she ended up where she did.

I have had zero interaction with any of those start up / VC / blah people since I left that whole thing. Well... barring some threatening lawyer letters, and some of them trying to torpedo me in another job it turned out.

But I just left the scene and didn't stay in contact. I saw one of them in that film Uncut Gems, which was very strange. The idea that I open up The Guardian, she's on the front page, she became a billionaire (??) and is now up shit creek with the Plod is, odd, to say the least.

Whoa whoa hang on - is the thesis of the documentary that she basically made up the whole thing? And never had a product in the first place? If so then I gotta watch it, that sounds amazing

I find the American thing of super-confident younger people very weird. We hired a (super confident) woman not so long ago into a "director" role, which means her salary is around double mine, and as far as I can tell all she's doing is blocking people. Can't be more than 28. Like wtf

Whoa whoa hang on - is the thesis of the documentary that she basically made up the whole thing? And never had a product in the first place? If so then I gotta watch it, that sounds amazing
She's probably watching this shit and seething

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I find the American thing of super-confident younger people very weird. We hired a (super confident) woman not so long ago into a "director" role, which means her salary is around double mine, and as far as I can tell all she's doing is blocking people. Can't be more than 28. Like wtf

americans have finally ended sexism by now allowing all genders to aspire to overconfident mediocrity

I suppose that's a bit of an elephant in the room thing: VCs aren't necessarily all that smart. They're confident, and the good ones hire relatively smart people to help them out. But they're usually guys that got lucky on a long shot, or did some very very close to being criminal stuff which got shored up directly after they did it, and ended up with a pile of cash. Or just inherited it from Daddy.

They in no way think they got lucky, they were destined to have this money. They often have loads of stories, fables, little sayings or mottos, sometimes they like to confidentially tell you them with their arm over your shoulder, doing the Dad vibe thing. A lot of these little fable things are straight up wrong. I remember one guy talking about the origin of the word "shit". He claimed it was derived from STOWE HIGH IN TRANSIT, they'd have to write this on boxes that go on boats, and something something piss knocking around on the lower berths of the boats. I just remember that one because I did German, sheisse is a German word, and it's clearly related to shit, the origin is nothing to do with boat storage. A lot of them are absurdly cheesy, roaring "GO BIG OR GO HOME" :punching air: and zooming out of the room like a Boss.

I guess I don't exactly know who these tech bros are that people always go on about. There's coders, and coding is pretty tough going honestly. There's the VC guys, who believe they know what they're talking about when it comes to technology. And there's the Harvard Biz School people who at least know enough to know they don't understand the tech stuff, but also know they don't need to. At the bottom of the pile are the coders, or "the technical people". And, you're definitely at the bottom of that pile.

I'm gradually learning to accept that wealth is your "power" score in the game of human society, and that in an unequal world most people are compelled to concoct an "I deserve it" narrative justifying their wealth/power in order to feel like moral people (because power is zero-sum, so any extra power you have means power that someone else doesn't have)

I'm gradually learning to accept that wealth is your "power" score in the game of human society, and that in an unequal world most people are compelled to concoct an "I deserve it" narrative justifying their wealth/power in order to feel like moral people (because power is zero-sum, so any extra power you have means power that someone else doesn't have)
Your wealth is your score in a society? Yes It's called capitalism, it's in the name, and i'll have you know that it's the "only system that works" according to all the capitalist propaganda i've been reading for 30 years.

I suspect it might be the same in any version of the game with private property
I'd happily live in rented accommodation for my entire life if it was secure. I haven't really got a clue if the answer is full communism or full anarchism or full capitalism or what, since none of them have really been tried, but capitalism is very much winning these days and it's not going well.

Same here - I'm not dismissing what you're saying, I'm just adding that I think wealth/power equivalence is not just a property of capitalism, unless by capitalism you mean "any societal system with private ownership of stuff you can't carry around with you"

I suppose that's a bit of an elephant in the room thing: VCs aren't necessarily all that smart. They're confident, and the good ones hire relatively smart people to help them out. But they're usually guys that got lucky on a long shot, or did some very very close to being criminal stuff which got shored up directly after they did it, and ended up with a pile of cash. Or just inherited it from Daddy.

They in no way think they got lucky, they were destined to have this money. They often have loads of stories, fables, little sayings or mottos, sometimes they like to confidentially tell you them with their arm over your shoulder, doing the Dad vibe thing. A lot of these little fable things are straight up wrong. I remember one guy talking about the origin of the word "shit". He claimed it was derived from STOWE HIGH IN TRANSIT, they'd have to write this on boxes that go on boats, and something something piss knocking around on the lower berths of the boats. I just remember that one because I did German, sheisse is a German word, and it's clearly related to shit, the origin is nothing to do with boat storage. A lot of them are absurdly cheesy, roaring "GO BIG OR GO HOME" :punching air: and zooming out of the room like a Boss.
I've been reading that 'Champagne Football' book and you just described John Delaney there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back