Heat (1 Viewer)

i remember wearing wellies working in heat like this years ago. saturated socks and soaked shins all day - yuck.
not terrible if yer not doing physical stuff but miserable if you are.

I've been sent away from my flat because she's sorting her stuff out, so I've taken the laptop to a local hub community workspace with wifi. i mean the pub.
This shit is brutal, I didn't want to leave the house. Forcing me out of the house today says a lot about her. It's just a bit shit.

Another note, on a recent hot day I was talking to a Jamaican and a Kenyan, they both said it gets hotter back home but the heat is different. London has "dutty heat".

I've been sent away from my flat because she's sorting her stuff out, so I've taken the laptop to a local hub community workspace with wifi. i mean the pub.
This shit is brutal, I didn't want to leave the house. Forcing me out of the house today says a lot about her. It's just a bit shit.

Another note, on a recent hot day I was talking to a Jamaican and a Kenyan, they both said it gets hotter back home but the heat is different. London has "dutty heat".
grimey heat, pollution, vomit and fast food scraps baking in the sun

Heat that comes off a concrete island is unrelenting, and comes up off the ground so even shade doesn't work very well. It doesn't stop at night, and it just piles up over the days. Then the buildings sort of stop any breeze from getting to you, unless you stand at the right junction or something.

So yeah, agree with dirty heat alright.

Heat that comes off a concrete island is unrelenting, and comes up off the ground so even shade doesn't work very well. It doesn't stop at night, and it just piles up over the days. Then the buildings sort of stop any breeze from getting to you, unless you stand at the right junction or something.

So yeah, agree with dirty heat alright.
This pub is near the water, so at a certain time, around dusk, the air pressure from the city pushes through to here, and there's a mighty wind (yes, I said that) that would blow you away. It's mad experiencing man made weather phenomena.

But right now, the heat is just stagnant and inescapable,

Last edited:
This pub is near the water, so at a certain time, around dusk, the air pressure from the city pushes through to here, and there's a mighty wind (yes, I said that) that would blow you away. It's mad experiencing mad made weather phenomena.

But right now, the heat is just stagnant and inescapable,

yeah, don't envy that. The heat was one reason (of many) I left the US. I was able to handle it if I was very very skinny and fit-ish, but even then the amount of water I'd lose was scary. I'd be weighing myself when I got home, and drinking electrolytes to get back up to weight. There was no other way to get a gauge on it, and you're invariably miles off. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn't really eat, I'd just get the fluids in and by the time that was back to weight I'd be asleep. Then you can't really ride back in on a full stomach either in the heat.

Like, i'd be losing several kilos on the ride home, no matter what I did. Drinking constantly in work. There was simply no way you can drink enough when you're out in it. If you're not careful you can go to bed massively dehydrated too, so you have to watch that otherwise you wake up with something like a hangover.

I dreaded the summers out there. Pile in the fluids Sean, you're more dehydrated than you think.

yeah, don't envy that. The heat was one reason (of many) I left the US. I was able to handle it if I was very very skinny and fit-ish, but even then the amount of water I'd lose was scary. I'd be weighing myself when I got home, and drinking electrolytes to get back up to weight. There was no other way to get a gauge on it, and you're invariably miles off. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn't really eat, I'd just get the fluids in and by the time that was back to weight I'd be asleep. Then you can't really ride back in on a full stomach either in the heat.

Like, i'd be losing several kilos on the ride home, no matter what I did. Drinking constantly in work. There was simply no way you can drink enough when you're out in it. If you're not careful you can go to bed massively dehydrated too, so you have to watch that otherwise you wake up with something like a hangover.

I dreaded the summers out there. Pile in the fluids Sean, you're more dehydrated than you think.
currently on two pints of water for every pint of beer. And I have no particular interest in drinking beer today.

If you think you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I do know this.

I just want to go home and hide with all the curtains closed.

although, you can't just drink water alone. You can only get away with a liter or two, then you start pissing it off without absorbing it somehow.
The way to get rehydrated I found was to get a piece of boiled potato, or bit of bread or pasta or something. Then mix the water with those fizzy tablet things. Normally the idea of food was nausiating, but if you chew something up and throw another pint of your water mix in it's way more effective than water mix alone. The tablets are much better than plain water though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back