Headphones for recording / Mixing (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter tim
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

tim

Been using standard Ipod earphones for a while now for recording/mixing but the cable lenght and in-earness is pretty off putting. I like the sound quality that you get with the ipod earphones and the space of sound in each ear but need something that is going to be more comfortable for long time use. Willing to spend about 50-60 to get something good quality.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

you might need top remix everything again too. most stock headphones like that are very 'coloured' in thier sound quality, so your hearing their characteristics aswell as what you've recorded. if your on a tight budget, i'd say get a few different brands of cans and run everything through each and compare, or, spend loads of money on great studio headphones and a good set of monitors. also, are you using the headphone jack or the sound card output???

you might need top remix everything again too. most stock headphones like that are very 'coloured' in thier sound quality, so your hearing their characteristics aswell as what you've recorded. if your on a tight budget, i'd say get a few different brands of cans and run everything through each and compare, or, spend loads of money on great studio headphones and a good set of monitors. also, are you using the headphone jack or the sound card output???

I use the headphone jack on a Mac.
So what are good brands of headphones to use then? Im ok with mixing things as I go. And having to remix etc if neccessaey, I know its a long process.

Im getting good results as I go and am Im really working on traditional music so the speak, although EQ is very important to what Im working on.

Ok so I'm essentially looking for monitor headphones for recording sounds through a line, micing and mixing.

Other forum recommended the AKG 240M's. Thomann have the AKG 240 MKII. Anybody have any experience with them?
And yes I would be looking for something uncoloured. I know what you mean about the ipod earphones etc being "coloured" in their sound.

Willing to spend a reasonable amount of money if I am going to get something of good quality that suit my needs ultimately.

So any recommendations for monitor/mixing headphones for serious home recording?

I use the headphone jack on a Mac.

i cant recommend you good cans but someone here might in the next few days.

the jack out on the mac mightn't be too colored, but its not pro audio stuff either. has your audio interface got a headphone option you could use??

i cant recommend you good cans but someone here might in the next few days.

the jack out on the mac mightn't be too colored, but its not pro audio stuff either. has your audio interface got a headphone option you could use??

I don't know what you mean by audio option but I can adjust my monitor input volume and whether the "IN" signal is mono or stereo.

I've been recording a while now and I know what I ultimately want to achieve and I've been getting there bit by bit just by developing my own recording tricks etc.

Don't like using in-ear earphones anymore, it can't be good for me, + the lead lenght is not practical.

My advice is don't use headphones! Heaphones are very flattering,
Very easy to get into "sounds great on headphones but sounds wishy washy on stereo when compared to other recordings" territory

, if your really stuck on using them just make sure you mixdown to cd and cross reference alot!

I'm not going to recomend any cause its a waste of money - get a usb sound card and monitors or accept that your doing it the hard way and brace your self for trial and error and trial and error and error and error and error muahahahahahaaahah
then hopefully sucess

My advice is don't use headphones! Heaphones are very flattering,
Very easy to get into "sounds great on headphones but sounds wishy washy on stereo when compared to other recordings" territory

, if your really stuck on using them just make sure you mixdown to cd and cross reference alot!

I'm not going to recomend any cause its a waste of money - get a usb sound card and monitors or accept that your doing it the hard way and brace your self for trial and error and trial and error and error and error and error muahahahahahaaahah
then hopefully sucess

Good advice, thanks Dawwwwg.

So what would you recommend monitors wise? Thinking 100-200 region but could go more if it would be worth it.

A friend of mine had a set up where he had decent monitors/speakers and a preamp so that he could switch between his Mac for his music and then a record player tape deck etc for listen to music.

I would be interested in trying to get a good set up like that. For a combination of recording / mixing music and listening to my vinyl etc. Would be nice to be able to build up my listening equipment alongside recording equipment.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm

i have a set of these and really like them for recording and mixing, although mostly i just listen to the ipod with them at home. they don't do bass the way a lot of headphones do - seal your ear and pump it with air -they are not enclosed, so they're no good for the bus or anywhere public because they spill a lot of sound. they're very basic and retro in construction, but quite light and comfortable on the ear, and you can hear perfectly without taking them off when there's no sound coming through them. worth researching

Thanks.

I'm thinking now that I'll get headphones primarily just to track with, something comfortable for long usage, decent un-coloured sound.
I've been doing all my tracking with in ear earphones and it's obviously not good for me. So that's my main reason for wanting headphones, plus having a decent cable lenght.

Thinking about a set of AKG's.

Thanks man. If that review is anything to go by then they seem like exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

No worries Tim. Pricey enough but I reckon they're a solid investment. I'm really looking forward to tracking and mixing with studio-quality cans.

I just got a used pair of DT770s on ebay for about €50 and man are they comfortable (these ones to be precise).
I haven't spent much time listening to them yet, but they seemed fairly bright, which is at odds with what I've heard about them, but I have noticed that the earpieces are fairly worn - I'd say there used to be some foam in there that's gone now. I assume whatever foam was there originally probably absorbed some of the high frequencies.
After seeing the pics on the ad I was thinking I could just replace the old vinyl padding on the earpieces with the newer velour ones, but once I got them and tried them on, I'm thinking they're grand as they are. Way more comfortable than my HD205s.

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron, someone's selling a faulty pair of DT990s for half nothing cos one can isn't working - I would guess that the wires inside the earpiece have come off, which, while a pain in the ass, is fixable - I managed it with my old pair before. Of course I could be wrong and the coil might be fucked or something...

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron, someone's selling a faulty pair of DT990s for half nothing cos one can isn't working - I would guess that the wires inside the earpiece have come off, which, while a pain in the ass, is fixable - I managed it with my old pair before. Of course I could be wrong and the coil might be fucked or something...

OK - forget about this idea then. I messaged the guy today and he only ships to the UK :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back