HD Video Cameras (1 Viewer)

aoboa

My Dad is looking to buy a decent one.
Anyone here got the nerd-how to offer some advice?

One of the big questions is the media format - tape, card, hd????
He was looking at the Canon HG21 or HV40 one is hd and the other is MiniDV.

One of the big questions is the media format - tape, card, hd????
He was looking at the Canon HG21 or HV40 one is hd and the other is MiniDV.

i've a sony one with a 120Gb HD and it's spot on, apart from THE FEAR of HD failure. oh and it just shuts down if the volume gets too high. or maybe it's if it's vibrating too much from the volume - not sure which.

i think dudley went for SD.

Best advice as always is get one fit for purpose if he really wants HD get the one he can afford. As far as I know HD actually means very little at the end of the day because most people don't care about the lens there using or the fact that they're going to watch the resulting footage on a piece of shit monitor. DV can be time consuming to transfer f your using some editing package but overall it's a fairly hard wearing format and at least the tape is hard enough to wipe by accident. If it has a Carl Ziess lens you're on to a winner other than that they're all basically the same stop gap mid range over the counter cheap cheerful version of the HD which you get with these type of things

image.php

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/sony-hvr-z7u-1080i-hdv-camcorder-interchangeable-lens-reviews

So in answer to your question if you're expecting HD spend the 5 Grand. If not worry not

i got the canon vixia hf200. pricey here, but only $589 or something on amazon.

absolutely love it, it's tiny, shoots in full hd at 24p. no hard drive, but sd cards are getting remarkably cheap. i bought a ton of sd cards thinking that would be the major drawback and i'd need to be swapping them out all the time. i've yet to fill even half of one.

gets decent press too
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/canon-vixia-hf200/4505-6500_7-33483231.html

majorly in it's favour, for me, is it's terribly simple to use, just point and click, and you can then fit it in your jacket pocket

As far as I know HD actually means very little at the end of the day because most people don't care about the lens there using or the fact that they're going to watch the resulting footage on a piece of shit monitor.

i'm sure people would have said similar during the leap from 1mp to 2 mp camera's, but everyone will have a HD monitor in about 3 years time.

since HD isn't even one megapixel resolution, i don't think the lens will be the limiting factor.

Lens is the deciding factor on all cameras, always will be, always has been since the invention of the camera. Maybe thats the photographer in me talking

i'm sure people would have said similar during the leap from 1mp to 2 mp camera's, but everyone will have a HD monitor in about 3 years time.

In 2 or 3 years time that over the counter mid range HD camera will be crocked anyway, but point taken.

alright, simmer down fools.

tell us a bit more about what your dad wants from his camera - is he just noodling around, shooting sports, holidays, does he want to edit it in any particular way, does he want to keep the footage for a long, has he had other cameras in the past, does he have lenses that he wants to use with it, does he want to be able to plug in decent mics, what's the budget, and so on.

The more info the better.

yup..

on that subject, guys, what is the most reliable/sturdy stills camera on the market, i've been killing a point and shoot anually for some time now. do toyota make them yet???

I was agreeing with you. I'm just saying in three years time what is now HD will almost certainly be obsolete so in the interim unless you already ave a HD monitor you won't get the full benefit of it. and the most reliable sturdy stills camera on the market is this

00KCzn-35320184.jpg

cos digital is cock anyway.

oh and it just shuts down if the volume gets too high. or maybe it's if it's vibrating too much from the volume - not sure which.

My Camcorder is not Hi-Def but is Hard Drive and is a Sony about 30 months old. it's only shut down twice as you mentioned and both of these were at Rebellion when I was at the front at the biggest stage and the Music was just so so loud, some bands seem to go for louder then others.
It always recovered excellently though, Only reason why I never upgraded is because the gigs I go too are poorly lit and HDef would make no difference in quality and also because of the formats, I want something my PC can handle without any hassle/converting.

Here is a recent video I shot in Fibbers. (I do have a small external mic and that is why the sound is excellent)
I would class this as a mid quality sound set up (although excellent)
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JANER64#p/u/16/xFLsoJUBC08

This video from the lower deck is a basic sound set up and you can tell the difference.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JANER64#p/u/16/xFLsoJUBC08

And 1 from Rebellion at that huge stage...I was underneath the band almost cos I had a Photo pass. Sound/bass is richer because of the massive expensive set up.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JANER64#p/search/2/A5AWtuk2lms

Remember vids have been converted from MPRG4 to .AVI so the quality is not as good as the original and then you have youtube compressing them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back