Have I left it too late to ask for a pay rise? (1 Viewer)

jonah

Here's something I need advice on:

If you've been working for a company for a year and a half, and in your performance review got an awesome bonus but no pay rise mentioned, is it unreasonable after the review (because you're a nervous sort and missed the opportunity to bring it up) to mail your manager and request a meeting to discuss your options going forward?

Sorry I'm a baby with stuff like this, but I know another person on the team got a payrise after pushing them for it, and I know that unless I say something now it wont be reviewed again til next years reviews and fuck that.

Is this bad practice? am I better saying nothing?

Solution
so I might get away with the I've been assessing things coming into the next year thing... ugh.

This is definitely the time if you're going to do it. "I've been thinking over a few things..." is a good tack

Let him/her mention the bonus. Don't bring it up otherwise.

You might want to say something along the lines of "I was wondering when a decision might be made on any pay rises within the department"
Sandwich it though. Something positive about your review/work, ask about pay rise, say something positive about work.
Here's something I need advice on:

If you've been working for a company for a year and a half, and in your performance review got an awesome bonus but no pay rise mentioned, is it unreasonable after the review (because you're a nervous sort and missed the opportunity to bring it up) to mail your manager and request a meeting to discuss your options going forward?

Sorry I'm a baby with stuff like this, but I know another person on the team got a payrise after pushing them for it, and I know that unless I say something now it wont be reviewed again til next years reviews and fuck that.

Is this bad practice? am I better saying nothing?

I can't see the harm in asking, and the sooner the better.

The time to bring it up was the performance review, but the manager probably did say their door is always open or something like that. Take them up on it.
What's the worst that can happen?

I can't see the harm in asking, and the sooner the better.

The time to bring it up was the performance review, but the manager probably did say their door is always open or something like that. Take them up on it.
What's the worst that can happen?

yep, missed opportunity because I'm an anxious mess, but it was only yesterday so I might get away with the I've been assessing things coming into the next year thing... ugh.

so I might get away with the I've been assessing things coming into the next year thing... ugh.

This is definitely the time if you're going to do it. "I've been thinking over a few things..." is a good tack

You might want to say something along the lines of "I was wondering when a decision might be made on any pay rises within the department"
Sandwich it though. Something positive about your review/work, ask about pay rise, say something positive about work.

Solution

Excellent advice thank you! I'm going to send the meeting request today and ask to meet before the end of the week. We get paid on Monday coming, and all bonuses etc are implemented then, plus any pay rises. Reviews are currently ongoing, so it might still be ok. Snooze ya lose I guess.

Excellent advice thank you! I'm going to send the meeting request today and ask to meet before the end of the week. We get paid on Monday coming, and all bonuses etc are implemented then, plus any pay rises. Reviews are currently ongoing, so it might still be ok. Snooze ya lose I guess.

It won't be easy, but you'll feel great after doing it.

Is it the kind of thing you can do via a "Do you have a few minutes?" pop-in?
You know your own systems there best though.

Last edited:
I sent an email basically asking for a quick chat whenever she has a chance, and said I had a few questions about pay reviews. I read this article on what to do and what not to do, so I'm going to follow its advice and be direct, not mention the bonus, talk about the upcoming year and where im at etc, why i deserve it, and it said to mention why you're going in when making the appointment so you dont go in twisting your words and trying to figure out how to ask.

I sent an email basically asking for a quick chat whenever she has a chance, and said I had a few questions about pay reviews. I read this article on what to do and what not to do, so I'm going to follow its advice and be direct, not mention the bonus, talk about the upcoming year and where im at etc, why i deserve it, and it said to mention why you're going in when making the appointment so you dont go in twisting your words and trying to figure out how to ask.

Good stuff and good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back