Has anyone ever been a witness for the "defence" in a law suit??? (1 Viewer)

whathappen?

Hey, I am going to court as a witness for the "defendant" in a law suit . What should I expect? I am have not met the solicitor yet and am quite anxious.
Any advice either here or through pm would be appreciated
Thanks

Just stick to the facts . The other side will probably try to discredit any evidence you give . You will be nervous . Helps to write down and rehearse your recounting of the facts . Don't let them rush you .
Take your time , pause when you need to and think carefully about what you're saying and about what you're being asked .
I had to give evidence about a car crash once and used the bible as a prop to show what happened , it was gas ........ "we" lost though , so maybe don't do that .
If it starts to go wrong just clear your throat and yell ,DENNY CRANE!.That seems to work.

if they try to treat you as a hostile witness then plead the fifth and go state's evidence if you can

Ignore all the advice in this thread other than Pete's (and my advice to ignore the rest of them and listen to Pete)

The simple truth is always going to be the easiest thing to remember - and sooner or later liars trip themselves up.

Oh, and dress well, but in clothes that make you feel comfortable too. It definitely helps if you feel like a million dollars.

listen to the question.
Wait for a second to make sure you understand the question. Ask them to clarify the question if it seems unclear in any way. Ask them to define a word if it is not clear, even if it is clear but open to interpretation.
ie define "A lot", define "most".
Once you are completely 100% sure you understand the question, wait.
A whole second. More even. Breath.
Answer the question.
Just the question asked, no more. If you do not give enough info they can ask more questions.

If they try to ask two questions at once, pull them up on this.
Say, "you asked me two questions; regarding the first... "etc.

Dealing with scientists is a lot like dealing with lawyers.
Le sigh.

331087ad-d45e-e841-d1d8-ae03fe7f9573-ontv_fb_thewire_OmarinCourtroom.jpg

wear a tie

Oh, and dress well, but in clothes that make you feel comfortable too. It definitely helps if you feel like a million dollars.

....and make sure that you have some one in the audience to take a picture of you while you're up there for the occasian lololol.

Just stick to the facts . The other side will probably try to discredit any evidence you give . You will be nervous . Helps to write down and rehearse your recounting of the facts . Don't let them rush you .
Take your time , pause when you need to and think carefully about what you're saying and about what you're being asked .
I had to give evidence about a car crash once and used the bible as a prop to show what happened , it was gas ........ "we" lost though , so maybe don't do that .
If it starts to go wrong just clear your throat and yell ,DENNY CRANE!.That seems to work.

Dont forget to try to stay as relaxed as you can.

Ally McBeal taught me that you should wear a short skirt and develop some nervous ticks and possibly hire an entourage of followers

double jeopardy means you can shit on the judges hammer twice and get away with it. third time will get you locked up.

listen to the question.
Wait for a second to make sure you understand the question. Ask them to clarify the question if it seems unclear in any way. Ask them to define a word if it is not clear, even if it is clear but open to interpretation.
ie define "A lot", define "most".
Once you are completely 100% sure you understand the question, wait.
A whole second. More even. Breath.
Answer the question.
Just the question asked, no more. If you do not give enough info they can ask more questions.

If they try to ask two questions at once, pull them up on this.
Say, "you asked me two questions; regarding the first... "etc.

Dealing with scientists is a lot like dealing with lawyers.
Le sigh.

this is good advice. Take it on board.

I did it before. Not for a lawsuit, it was for an inquest. Its not too bad once you're up there. The anticipation is the worst thing. I wouldn't be fearful of doing it again having done it already.

Be truthful. Be straight in your head as to what you're going to say, and as flashback says, be sure you know what you're being asked before you answer any questions.

And do it all in your own time. Don't let them rush you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back