Hardy Bucks (1 Viewer)

hardy bucks is, without doubt, the best new comedy i have seen since "extras". i've watched them all several times each and i so much want to see more.

i had a touch of the cynical "ugh i bet this is going to be crap" thing that most irish people have when it comes to new irish comedy, its a trait i deplore in myself but the offerings of comedy on RTE in the last few years have been so absymal its hard not to succumb to it. i first watched the episodes in order, the first one (they are all only about 10 min long each) i was unsure but it had something, the second one i laughed a good few times, and by the fourth i was certain that i was witnessing comedy gold.

my favourite episode, and the one i would recommend as an introduction, is episode 5:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

for anyone who isn't sure on first watch, give the others a try. i am 100% sincere and enthusiastic when i say this stuff is comedy gold. all the deleted scenes and related videos are also all well worth watching.

i want to see more hardy bucks! the boo, lavin, koffi, the viper, french toast and ladybird are some of the greatest comedy characters ever (the two main characters are absolutely perfect also), and i adore the authentisity... it's totally believable, i reminds me more of spaced (in that i know people and have been in situations exactly like those in the show) than of trailer park boys. in fact, to those who weren't into trailer park boys, ignore the reference, it's got a quality entirely of its own. i really hope they are snapped up for a proper tv version in an uncensored and uncompromised form (if anyone is looking for the perfect example of how everyday swearing can be tear-jerkingly hilarious this is it).

highest possible recommendation.

If heard it's not really that great if you're not from the country, particularly the Wesht. Would you say that that's true? Was told it's because it's easier to relate to the characters and situations if you're familiar with that part of the country.

not at all. it might help, but i'm a dubliner and i love it, and some friends of mine from outside of ireland - never been to mayo in their lives - whom i recommended it to, enjoyed it very much. you don't have to be living in london to be able to relate to spaced, and its the same in this case...

Fair enough, thanks. I just worried about it, as the only other person who recommended it to me has suggested a lot of dud films/books/tv shows to me before. Find it hard to trust his judgment :)

I grew up in Mayo so I know those characters inside and out. But I really think it's not just a west thing - those sort of lads are in every small town.

It's really top class stuff.

Also - the lad who plays Eddie actually talks with an English accent in real life!

Yeah, it is very good. They're in that RTE competition 'Storyland'. Not sure how it works but they essentially fund filmmakers and allow people to vote on who is the best. I do see a lot of trailer park boys in it but they're not mimicking it. Also see some Garth Marenghi in it, especially the similarity between Dr Sanchez's voice and the Viper's.

yeah, i read that the guys who play eddie and the viper - who are also the writers - are actually english.

the viper's voice alone cracks me up:

I think it's fantastic too. I'm from Mayo and I've always thought the sense of humour of kids I went to school with was pretty weird and original. I'm glad it's travelled well.

If heard it's not really that great if you're not from the country, particularly the Wesht. Would you say that that's true? Was told it's because it's easier to relate to the characters and situations if you're familiar with that part of the country.

Na no chance, sure I'm from Belfast and have always lived in cities, it's just amazing!

P.S The Viper is fucking amazing

The greatest scene out of the entire thing (and it's been pretty amazing so far) was when the cops raided the illegal raid and you see the car burn it in, camera cuts across and the entire crowd are half way up the hill. Amazing.

its pretty funny, but the last episode was pure SHITE!

the speed dating one? i thought that was brilliant, one of the best... that had the most amount of the viper in it... also the boo attempting to combine pick up artist speed seduction with a head full of poitin was priceless.

"Wat cologne are you wearin'?
Scent of a champion, Lidl's finest!"

"Have you seen Titanic? What in the fuck was the driver playin' at... crashin' into the fuckin' sea.. or the boat, or the big shtones..."

"Yeah, good man yourself, you're a sound fucker, good luck... prick."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back