Harbo "Niall" Harbison (1 Viewer)

No. From what I know of the abuse that Ali gave Frazier, it wasn't racist in any meaningful sense of the word

Ok as I said above,
I’m not sure what fighter it was exactly but he was being a massive racist prick to him.
I was watching an Interview of his opponent in some doc about two years ago

Ok as I said above,
I’m not sure what fighter it was exactly but he was being a massive racist prick to him.
I was watching an Interview of his opponent in some doc about two years ago
Ali was completely out of order with Frazier, but they were difficult times – institutional racism was bringing a lot of militancy into how black people were dealing with the system and each other. Ali tapped into something that was already out there. But probably crossed a line.

He copped to it in later years.

I don’t know how useful it is to constantly apply these purity tests to everyone and everything they’ve done. No one’s perfect. Everyone’s done things they’d like back.

Ali was a fundamentally good man trying to make his way in a very fucked up world.

No. From what I know of the abuse that Ali gave Frazier, it wasn't racist in any meaningful sense of the word

Frazier found all the Uncle Tom taunting to be very hurtful and held a grudge about it for decades.

I recall seeing a documentary about the Thrilla In Manilla in the past decade and in it Frazier, still full of anger said something about when he sees the state that Ali was in at the time of the interview WRT to his Parkinsons he thought to himself, "I did that to him" with some satisfaction.

It's an awful statement, I'm not sure if he was proud to have made it, but consider how much you'd have to hate someone to feel that way.

Frazier found all the Uncle Tom taunting to be very hurtful and held a grudge about it for decades.

I recall seeing a documentary about the Thrilla In Manilla in the past decade and in it Frazier, still full of anger said something about when he sees the state that Ali was in at the time of the interview WRT to his Parkinsons he thought to himself, "I did that to him" with some satisfaction.

It's an awful statement, I'm not sure if he was proud to have made it, but consider how much you'd have to hate someone to feel that way.

hats what I was watching.
Hat interview where he was referring to Ali’s disease and was like “who really won” etc

Yeah he hella big grudge due to being the subject of vile racism from Ali

Frazier moved to Philly in his teens and spent his fighting career there

He was undisputed heavyweight champion of the world - one of the baddest ass things there is to be, arguably one of the only two titles worth having in sports

The city erected a statue to Rocky Balboa - a person who does not exist

I'd be angry as fuck

Ali was completely out of order with Frazier, but they were difficult times – institutional racism was bringing a lot of militancy into how black people were dealing with the system and each other. Ali tapped into something that was already out there. But probably crossed a line.

He copped to it in later years.

I don’t know how useful it is to constantly apply these purity tests to everyone and everything they’ve done. No one’s perfect. Everyone’s done things they’d like back.

Ali was a fundamentally good man trying to make his way in a very fucked up world.

No doubt he copped on. And overall was a good man.
And i think ‘Applying these purity tests’ or whatever you’d like to call them is useful.
It allows us to look at both sides of the person.
I just think people are too quick to attach ‘hero’ status to people who were actually being awful bolloxes at the time.

George best being another one.
Fucking serial-Wife-beating dipso.

“but great footballer y’know....”. 🙄

They have that in GAA too, sledging being the technical term. Saying stuff to your opponent in order to make them too angry to think straight, giving you an advantage before the game even is on. Its 'frowned upon' in GAA, but happens.

The thing is, you can either let it get to you, or you can be above it. Is Ali's sledging in keeping with his day to day behavoir, or is it part of his game?

Getting pretty problematic here Ann.

“vile racism” - back up a bit there dude. Your leveling this accusation while unable to tell us exactly what he said and a few posts ago were unable even to remember who he said it to.

I think we need authoritative sources here. Seen that doc but don’t really remember the details.

It allows us to look at both sides of the person.
Well, I think it often just allows people to dismiss everything else about a person

Not saying that's what you're doing here

Ah come on, Ernesto. George Best had chronic alcoholism.
He was as beat down and pathetic as an addiction can lower a person. I'm not sure dipso covers what he went through.

I think we're getting off the point here though - Harbo's still an irredeemable and awful cunt, right?

This is a really good doco on the topic

Ali & Frazier - One Nation Divisible

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Puts a lot of what went on between the two in the context of the time

“vile racism” - back up a bit there dude. Your leveling this accusation while unable to tell us exactly what he said and a few posts ago were unable even to remember who he said it to.

I think we need authoritative sources here. Seen that doc but don’t really remember the details.

I have already said that it was attributable to his religion’s heavy influence. The shit he was yelling I recall being pretty racist. To the point that it hurt his opponent emotionally, long after he healed from the physical fight

Well, I think it often just allows people to dismiss everything else about a person

Not saying that's what you're doing here

Ah come on, Ernesto. George Best had chronic alcoholism.
He was as beat down and pathetic as an addiction can lower a person. I'm not sure dipso covers what he went through.

I think we're getting off the point here though - Harbo's still an irredeemable and awful cunt, right?

There is no doubt, in my kind, at all, that Ali was the greatest fighter that ever lived, and he had his heart in the right place.
BUT, you do have to take into account the bad shit that person also does too

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back