Happy Valentine's day (1 Viewer)

Few years ago I went into tesco on valentine's day on the way home from work and the lads who'd clearly forgotten were fighting over the scraps left in the flower stall like feral dogs. Savage it was.

A word to everyone that didn't wake up to a card
"single, childless women are the happiest group of people."

Separate your values from societal norms
People, and especially women, are taught that the happiest, most fulfilling existence is a married one, bonus points if you procreate. This could be true for you, but it also might not be, and it can be helpful to interrogate your feelings and desires around such “goals.” (Journaling or seeing a therapist can help you suss this out.) If happiness expert Paul Dolan is to be believed, single, childless women are the happiest group of people. According to Business Insider, while speaking at the Hay Festival last year, Dolan said that while marriage offers health benefits for men, this is not the case for women: “You [a man] take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and she dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children.”

I don’t mention Dolan’s work in an attempt to discredit the happiness of those who are joyously married with children (this blog isn’t for you!), but to highlight that it is possible—and perhaps even easier—to be happy as a single person, especially if you are a woman, which is the exact opposite of what you have probably been told since you were a child. You shouldn’t feel guilty if the absence of another human in your home turns out to be the thing that was missing from your life.

A word to everyone that didn't wake up to a card
"single, childless women are the happiest group of people."

Separate your values from societal norms
People, and especially women, are taught that the happiest, most fulfilling existence is a married one, bonus points if you procreate. This could be true for you, but it also might not be, and it can be helpful to interrogate your feelings and desires around such “goals.” (Journaling or seeing a therapist can help you suss this out.) If happiness expert Paul Dolan is to be believed, single, childless women are the happiest group of people. According to Business Insider, while speaking at the Hay Festival last year, Dolan said that while marriage offers health benefits for men, this is not the case for women: “You [a man] take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and she dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children.”

I don’t mention Dolan’s work in an attempt to discredit the happiness of those who are joyously married with children (this blog isn’t for you!), but to highlight that it is possible—and perhaps even easier—to be happy as a single person, especially if you are a woman, which is the exact opposite of what you have probably been told since you were a child. You shouldn’t feel guilty if the absence of another human in your home turns out to be the thing that was missing from your life.
Yeah, no shit, but who's going to look after you when you're old and infirm?

Yeah, no shit, but who's going to look after you when you're old and infirm?

Three-pronged approach

-I'll have amassed enough money and property to play my nieces and nephews off each other in the hopes of staying in my good graces

-Move to a country with excellent public health services for the elderly

-Tap out at some point and just get married (the original romance scam)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back