Haiti Benefit: Andy Irvine, Spook, Mumblin' Deaf Ro, The Hounds & Big Monster Love (1 Viewer)

Re: Haiti Benefit: Andy Irvine, Spook, Mumblin' Deaf Ro, The Hounds & Big Monster Lov

it's a tight schedule tomorrow but this is what we're aiming for.
please come early for Big Monster Love & The Hounds.
Mumblin Deaf Ro will perform as a full band

Andy Irvine 10.30-11.30
Spook 9.50 – 10.20
Mumblin Deaf Ro 9.10 – 9.40
The Hounds 8.30 – 9.00
Big Monster Love 7.50 – 8.20

Re: Haiti Benefit: Andy Irvine, Spook, Mumblin' Deaf Ro, The Hounds & Big Monster Lov

tonight! gonna be an amazing show!

loved every set at this. I suppose being annoyed at all the talking during MDR was just what I deserved for talking the whole way through his gig at the Ballroom recently. the three piece Spook were brilliant and I'm looking forward to see The Hounds again.

Really good night. Ran like clockwork (Hi Uncle Meat!). Andy Irivine fits more chord changes into a song than I have on an album.

i had a ticket for this but couldn't go, really wanted to see joss play with MDR.

That was a great night. Enjoyed all 5 acts immensely as did the fella. His favourite Irish gig to date.

Biggest surprise was The Hounds. They were excellent. I was gonna go fucking mental during MDR when people wouldn't shut the fuck up, but as always a stellar set. My mother loved the Spook set. My friend described them as "if the IT Crowd played trad music". :) Andy Irvine's playing is amazing, that kid'll go far :) . That was my friend who made the request with the note lol. I was singing along for MDR, Spook and Andy, I hope that's "kosher". With playing, and then the 4 other acts, it was a very intense evening. Fair play to Foggy and all others involved, and it was cool there was a decent turnout, considering it was the Valentines and a Sunday to boot.

Anyone know how much € was raised at all?

thanks to everyone who performed and supported this show, admirable generosity in this tough ecomnomic time

on ticket sales we raised €2,718
additional to that www.tickets.ie are donating back the booking fee on tickets they sold minus the VAT charges. after the next Haiti benefit on Wednesday we'll know exactly what that figure is, as well as the total value of donations given to the Concern collection buckets in Whelan's

we expect to raise, at least, another €5,000 next Wednesday at the show featuring David Kitt, Jape, Legion of Two, Patrick Kelleher and Goodtime John - there are a very limited number of tickets left on sale for this

also, for those interested, the recent Haiti benefit w/ Glen Hansard in Whelan's raised €5,500.

after all the shows are done, we'll be able to inform people of the total donation to Concern

That's a fantastic total Leagues - well done.

That's a fantastic total Leagues - well done.

Yeah fair play on that.

Great gig, Andy Irvine was amazing as was pretty much everyone else, will have to pick up some of his music. Glad I got their early enough to catch Big Monster Love, great stuff altogether.

Aye, great stuff there Leagos.

My mother loved the Spook set. My friend described them as "if the IT Crowd played trad music".
My mother loved the Spook set. My friend described them as "if the IT Crowd played trad music".

I should get about a year's worth of slagging out of this, high five .|..|

The Hounds were excellent, definitely going to check them out again. It was great to finally see Andy Irvine too after Unclealo pointed me at some of his stuff a while back. His voice hasn't changed a bit and amazing playing. What was the yoke other than the smaller bouzouki that he was playing? Like a guitar body but 4 paired strings? Going by his website it's another type of bouzouki maybe?

yeah it's a bouzouki with a guitar body. easier to hold with the guitar body apparently

The Hounds were excellent, definitely going to check them out again. It was great to finally see Andy Irvine too after Unclealo pointed me at some of his stuff a while back. His voice hasn't changed a bit and amazing playing. What was the yoke other than the smaller bouzouki that he was playing? Like a guitar body but 4 paired strings? Going by his website it's another type of bouzouki maybe?

he does a wee run down of what he plays on his website

My Instruments

My instruments have been made for some years, by Stefan Sobell (www.sobellinstruments.com)in Northumberland in the North of England. I wanted a rounder, warmer sound and we came to the conclusion that a bigger body was the answer. Rather than have a very large tear drop shaped body, I opted for the guitar shape which is easier to hold. A pity in a way because people who do not know me think I'm playing a guitar.

Stefan also made me a mandolin/mandola. Never quite know what to call it. Its two frets longer than a mandolin. I used to play a Gibson mandola which had the same string length as Stefans. Classicly, a mandola should be tuned way down to CGDA but I always thought this stupid with a Gibson because it didn't have a big enough body, nor a long enough string length to cope with the hawser-like strings required. So I thought it logical--as it was two frets longer than a mandolin-- to tune it a tone lower, using mandolin strings. So I tune it FCGC (I nearly always have the top string tuned down a tone)

When baggage allowances permit, I also play a bass bouzouki, made for me by Davy Stuart in Christchurch, New Zealand. This is a large bodied bouzouki-shaped bouzouki with heavy strings. At present I have .056s on the 4th, 38s on the third, 26s on 2nd and unwound 16s on the top. I have been tuning it DAEA--a 4th down from the usual Irish bouzouki tuning of GDAD but recently found that it would go down to CGDG--a 5th lower. It sounds grrreat!

this show raised a total of €3203.97 from ticket sales and donation.
thanks again to all the artists and those people who bought tickets
thanks to Concern for their help w/ volunteers and promotion
special thanks to www.tickets.ie & WAV for their generosity
thanks to the Whelan's staff and management
also special thanks to logan print n copy for printing the posters for free - Colin runs a small business based on Aungier street and offers competitive prices on poster print loganprintncopy [at] eircom.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back