Guitars on planes (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
What's the story. I've never had a problem with my guitar on a plane before - except Ryanair, who insisted on it being put in the hold.

However, I'm flying with Aer Lingus soon and they say this:

A musical instrument can be carried in the cabin provided it is within the hand baggage size/weight limits.
(The maximum dimensions for a cabin bag are - 56cms x 45cms x 25cms or 22ins x 18ins x 10ins)
(The maximum weight for a cabin bag is - 10kgs or 13lbs)
It must be small enough to fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front.

Does that mean I can stick my guitar in the overhead compartment? I really don't want to buy an extra seat for my guitar, or place it in luggage.

oversize luggage,no? That's where mine was before and it was treated fine.

After landing I found it in the airport just sitting in the middle of the arrival floor though

This is just a guitar in a strap-on-your-back soft case. I don't want it to go into any luggage compartment in a soft case. hmmm

any other experiences?

A musical instrument can be carried in the cabin provided it is within the hand baggage size/weight limits.
(The maximum dimensions for a cabin bag are - 56cms x 45cms x 25cms or 22ins x 18ins x 10ins)

Does that mean I can stick my guitar in the overhead compartment? I really don't want to buy an extra seat for my guitar, or place it in luggage.

Unless you've a really small guitar, then no.

if the neck of guitar is screwed on, ever thought of removing it just for the duration of the journey, then there would be no problem with it fitting it into overhead luggage, it might need a quick setup afterwards though.

European travel, I'd say chance your arm taking it on the plane.

I worked on transatlantic flights so if your traveling that way, speak to the airline staff, you have to get it scanned at oversize then you can take it right to the entrance of the plane (down the air bridge and all) then some aerlingus bloke will take it off ye and put it where they put the post and buggies. Safe as a house in there. When ye get off at your destination you will be handed your guitar on the air bridge again.

Traveling on a plane without a hard case is not advisable.

European travel, I'd say chance your arm taking it on the plane.

I worked on transatlantic flights so if your traveling that way, speak to the airline staff, you have to get it scanned at oversize then you can take it right to the entrance of the plane (down the air bridge and all) then some aerlingus bloke will take it off ye and put it where they put the post and buggies. Safe as a house in there. When ye get off at your destination you will be handed your guitar on the air bridge again.

Last time I got the child's buggy back, it had a broken wheel. They don't give any compensation if they break anything in those compartments. Wheeling a child around JFK with a broken wheel is still easier than playing a gig with a broken guitar though.

Oh yeah, the airline were total pricks about it as well.

To be honest, I'd rather borrow a hard flightcase and bung it in the hold. What if they don't let you onboard the plane with it as carry-on? You're left with the options of leaving it behind, or putting it in the hold in a soft case. Neither are particularly nice options.

Last time I got the child's buggy back, it had a broken wheel. They don't give any compensation if they break anything in those compartments. Wheeling a child around JFK with a broken wheel is still easier than playing a gig with a broken guitar though.

Oh yeah, the airline were total pricks about it as well.

Traveling on a plane without a hard case is not advisable.
I agree with the total pricks hence the reason why i no longer work in the airline industry

time for another airing

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hard flight case

+ extra sponge/towels for padding

+ belt around the case, passing through the handle so it won't fall off

+ a few quid

= More chance of guitar getting on plane and arriving in one piece

it's science

Mate of mine traveled back from JFK with his acoustic put in over-sized baggage. Got the guitar back in Dublin, completed fucked. Broken in 5 different spots. The case was fine though. Was like the baggage handlers took it out of the case before loading onto the plane.
Once again, Aer Lingus refused to compensate him for the damages. Pricks.

Hey,

I flew with Aer Lingus last month and they wouldn't let me carry on my guitar. I had a hard case and i had it locked. The lady at the check in counter was really nice about it and wrapped loads of tape around it and stuck some fragile stickers on. I would say to do those things yourself because that was an exception. The guitar arrived fine, but there were lumps taken out of the case.

Definitely bring it in a hard case and make sure the case is taped up. Also don't forget to tune it completely down.

this is all good stuff

My preference is to take it on as hand luggage since I've always done this and it's safer and I can keep an eye on it. But I'm just wondering if Aer Lingus have placed new, tighter restrictions recently and, if so, if I turn up with it in a soft case will make me put it in the hold. If that's the case, I'll plan ahead for that with a hard case or whatever, or else just pay for an extra seat for the guitar(s).

Or is it a case of you saying nothing and just walk on and they go "ah sure it's grand". That's the way it used to be, and if nothing has changed then I'd prefer that. It'd save a few quid and all.

Hey,

I flew with Aer Lingus last month and they wouldn't let me carry on my guitar. I had a hard case and i had it locked. The lady at the check in counter was really nice about it and wrapped loads of tape around it and stuck some fragile stickers on. I would say to do those things yourself because that was an exception. The guitar arrived fine, but there were lumps taken out of the case.

Definitely bring it in a hard case and make sure the case is taped up. Also don't forget to tune it completely down.

hmm, just saw this

whats the few quid for?

I think myself and chutney farmer were hit with an extra €30 quid for guitars last year if i remember correctly.

Also, when we asked the lady at check in for fragile stickers she said "We don't give fragile stickers because we treat all our luggage with the same respect", she the laughed and continued "do you like that line".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back