Gross Food (1 Viewer)

I've never had truffles, I'd love to try them though.

Has anyone tried durian? I was disappointed that it wasn't as rancid as I was lead to expect, it was grand. not great, not bad

I've never had truffles, I'd love to try them though.

Has anyone tried durian? I was disappointed that it wasn't as rancid as I was lead to expect, it was grand. not great, not bad

Yep, I've had it. The smell and the texture are disgusting... but the flavour is ok... not amazing enough that I'd want to repeat the experience though. Durian is banned on public transport in Bangkok.

I think eugenics is applicable only to humans (?) but fair point. Goddam animals.
It goes on at all levels the most simplistic example is carrots.

They also look like this

purple-carrots-number-1-heather-kirk.jpg

But because was considered less appealing so farmers en masse stopped growing them.
Cows could probably get along okay without us. They only need grass.

As long as they could deal with the packs of wild dogs roaming the land, they'd be okay.

I don't have a worry in my head about pigs, they'll eat anything.

And sheep. Well, who exactly gives a fuck?

It's not the food that gets them it's weather. They're so used to cow sheds and mild climates that a cold snap decimates their numbers.
Their immune systems are also near useless because of generations of immunisation by humans.

Oh and I forgot Bulls kept in captivity become homosexual. That's why most insemination is done artificially.

Pigs are the one best placed to survive a sudden down turn in industrial use apparently.

It's not the food that gets them it's weather. They're so used to cow sheds and mild climates that a cold snap decimates their numbers.
Their immune systems are also near useless because of generations of immunisation by humans.

Oh and I forgot Bulls kept in captivity become homosexual. That's why most insemination is done artificially.

Pigs are the one best placed to survive a sudden down turn in industrial use apparently.

So the pigs will have a pretty abundant food source in the early going it seems.

I could see the gay bulls taking over somewhere like South Wexford and making the uber des-res for animals.

So the pigs will have a pretty abundant food source in the early going it seems.
I don't think there's all that much meddling you can do with pigs and in general they're quite intelligent. Plus as you rightly said they eat almost anything so they'd end up turning up in cities eating out of bins like small hairless bears. "Pigs the scourge of the restauranteur" headlines in the daily Mail etc.
I could see the gay bulls taking over somewhere like South Wexford and making the uber des-res for animals.

They'd be arguing in the aisles of Ikea before you could say futon.

I don't think there's all that much meddling you can do with pigs and in general they're quite intelligent. Plus as you rightly said they eat almost anything so they'd end up turning up in cities eating out of bins like small hairless bears. "Pigs the scourge of the restauranteur" headlines in the daily Mail etc.

They'd be arguing in the aisles of Ikea before you could say futon.

Ah, I'm imagining some manner of Hollywood post-human future.

The world without us, kind of thing.

washingcattle, where are you getting this stuff from?

Cattle in Ireland are not immunised, and antibiotic use is minimal (only prescribed in the case of severe illness if there is a chance of saving the animal).

A lot of farmers here can keep their animals out on land all year round, rain is the problem more than cold weather as they tear up the fields and bury the grass if the ground is waterlogged, meaning they would run out of food and have to be supplementary fed, and be in mud. So if there is a lot of rain it makes more sense to bring them in, give them a nice straw bed so they don't get infections and feed them hay/silage while the grass grows.

Bulls do not become homosexual if kept in a herd. They do (a) break through fences to get to young female animals too small to safely bear a calf yet (b) break through fences to get to breeding age females who are still being milked (c) break through fences for laughs (d) attack one another (e) attack their owners, small children, other farm animals and (f) cost a fucking massive fortune. Plus, to avoid inbreeding in a herd you do not want to use the same bull to inseminate a female as you used to produce her, or her mother, or her grandmother... and if you keep your own bull that's what you'd be doing without AI.

Cattle in Ireland are not immunised, and antibiotic use is minimal (only prescribed in the case of severe illness if there is a chance of saving the animal).

A lot of farmers here can keep their animals out on land all year round, rain is the problem more than cold weather as they tear up the fields and bury the grass if the ground is waterlogged, meaning they would run out of food and have to be supplementary fed, and be in mud. So if there is a lot of rain it makes more sense to bring them in, give them a nice straw bed so they don't get infections and feed them hay/silage while the grass grows.

Oddly, I have learned a lot about Irish Dairy farming and I agree with Squiggle. Cows produce something like 10% more energy than they need that makes them warm in colder weather. They are outdoor animals. It's the rain that's more the issue but even then you can herd to feed them meal/straw if the grass is water logged and still not bring them in, so to speak. Also, the creamery won't take milk from those with antibiotics in it.

Also, roast beef from country butchers is highly delicious. Cute cows are also very tasty.

How the fuck are they not on the menu of every gastro pub around?
You can get them here in some fancy places apparently they taste exactly the same.

I think the thing I read was from the states. Where they pump all sorts of shit into their cattle. This is one of those rare occasions where I read something in a magazine and can't find it online. I just liked the argument to be honest. I don't remember much of the fine details.

By cold snap. I meant two months of snow snow. Like a few years ago.

Bulls do not become homosexual if kept in a herd. They do (a) break through fences to get to young female animals too small to safely bear a calf yet (b) break through fences to get to breeding age females who are still being milked (c) break through fences for laughs (d) attack one another (e) attack their owners, small children, other farm animals and (f) cost a fucking massive fortune. Plus, to avoid inbreeding in a herd you do not want to use the same bull to inseminate a female as you used to produce her, or her mother, or her grandmother... and if you keep your own bull that's what you'd be doing without AI.

Yeah, I said captivity I meant isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back