Great Opening Sentences In Fiction (1 Viewer)

Hmm. I dunno. I reckon if OHYOS is your entry-point re: Marquez' fiction pretty much everything else pales in comparison. I quite liked No-One Writes To The Colonel though...hmmm I've not read any Marquez since my early-twenties mind you but I'm not sure I want to read any more Magical Realism either. There's only so many novellas about levitating hunchbacks impregnating blind virgins in the shade of the guava tree a fella can take.

I wouldn't agree with you. i started with 100 years and then read Love... immediately after.
i have a soft spot for magical realism.
real life is real enough.

do you like borges?

You talkin' to me?

Yeah love Borges & Kafka. I s'pose Milan Kundera could be 'classed' as Magical Realism too but it was just the slew of fiction from India and Latin America that I reckon was dull and repetetive.

Salman Rushdie, Carlos Fuentes, Vargas Llosa(spl?), Rohinton Mistry, Ben Okri...all that sort of whimsical guff. Just write about fairies and wizards and be done with it etc.

would you call rohinton mistry whimsical? i am a huge fan of a fine balance and family matters but found nothing whimsical about them

Vargas Llosa(spl?),

I loved Death in the Andes. It's only one I read.

Ben Okri's Famished Road was a good read too.

Anyone read Independent People by Haldor Laxness? While not exactly magical realism, the characters believe in fairies, pixies and the like. It's a beautiful book... well...I didn't read it in the original Icelandic, but the translation was fantastic.

would you call rohinton mistry whimsical? i am a huge fan of a fine balance and family matters but found nothing whimsical about them

Mea Culpa. Blinded by my rising bile I wrote Rohinton Mistry instead of Arundhati Roy.

A Fine Balance is still on my shelf, untouched. For shame.

Wanna post up some of your fictiom, Mitchum? Go on go on go on go on.

Nah. Neither the time nor place & most of it's written under my real name on t'interweb & I'd prefer to keep my relative anonymity here thangewe verymuch.

"It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me."

Earthly Powers, Anthony Burgess.

"It was the best of times, it was the......blurst of times?!?!"

TypingMonkeyLarge.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back