Great hip-hop albums of our time (1 Viewer)

So glad :) it is one of my all-time favourite records. Have been thinking on about other hip-hop records that haven't been mentioned yet.

Common - Like Water for Chocolate
El-P - Fantastic Damage
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jean Grae - This Week
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Madvillain - Madvillainy
People Under the Stairs - O.S.T.
Nas - Illmatic
Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Dilla - Welcome to Detroit//Donuts
Mos Def & Talib Kwel - Black Star
Various Artists - Soundbombin 1 and 2 ( on Rawkus, and so great)
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full
Various Artists - Music for the Advancement of Hip-Hop ( this came out on the great, weird label Anticon, always interesting stuff, and a great compilation of some of the most creative artists associated with the label)
Antipop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue
cLOUDDEAD - Ten
Aesop Rock - Daylight EP
Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5 EP
Why? - Alopecia
Jaylib - Champion Sound
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Edan - Beauty & the Beat
Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory/ Midnight Marauders
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Anything by Kendrick
Anything by Run the Jewels
Outkast - ATLiens

-----there are so many others, but these came to mind and kept coming back to my mind, and hopefully I haven't repeated any that other people recommended, and there are so many others, an equally long list! Crossing fingers they provide a good soundtrack to your summer :)

So glad :) it is one of my all-time favourite records. Have been thinking on about other hip-hop records that haven't been mentioned yet.

Common - Like Water for Chocolate
El-P - Fantastic Damage
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jean Grae - This Week
Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Madvillain - Madvillainy
People Under the Stairs - O.S.T.
Nas - Illmatic
Atmosphere - You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having
Quasimoto - The Unseen
Dilla - Welcome to Detroit//Donuts
Mos Def & Talib Kwel - Black Star
Various Artists - Soundbombin 1 and 2 ( on Rawkus, and so great)
Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me
Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full
Various Artists - Music for the Advancement of Hip-Hop ( this came out on the great, weird label Anticon, always interesting stuff, and a great compilation of some of the most creative artists associated with the label)
Antipop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue
cLOUDDEAD - Ten
Aesop Rock - Daylight EP
Jurassic 5 - Jurassic 5 EP
Why? - Alopecia
Jaylib - Champion Sound
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Edan - Beauty & the Beat
Brother Ali - Shadows on the Sun
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory/ Midnight Marauders
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
Anything by Kendrick
Anything by Run the Jewels
Outkast - ATLiens

-----there are so many others, but these came to mind and kept coming back to my mind, and hopefully I haven't repeated any that other people recommended, and there are so many others, an equally long list! Crossing fingers they provide a good soundtrack to your summer :)

holy hell, that's some list. Thanks so much.

that caught my eye. Anticon is Andrew Bird's label?

Obviously a lot more diverse than I thought they were.

I know that Andrew Bird collaborated with Dosh on Anticon over a couple of releases, but don't think he had anything else to do with the label other than that, but the label is very eclectic, and Martin Dosh is in Andrew's band the last many years.

Hip hop isn't really my thing but there are ones I like, my favourites being (in no way being the greatest)

Roots manuva - run come save me
Del that funkee homosapien - I wish my brother George's was here
Cadence weapon - after party babies

I like Michael franti & spearhead and he is categorised as hip hop/rap but I don't see his stuff as being so, there's a greater blend of styles and evolution in Michael franti's vocals since the disposable heroes of hiphopyrisy days so I won't include any of his work in this

I know that Andrew Bird collaborated with Dosh on Anticon over a couple of releases, but don't think he had anything else to do with the label other than that, but the label is very eclectic, and Martin Dosh is in Andrew's band the last many years.
yeah, I checked that out when I went home last night. I picked up a Dosh album at the Andrew Bird gig in Crawdaddy a few years back. That was on Anticon and I wasn't mad about it. But, as far as I could tell, AB never put anything out on that label.

a handy reference

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not a single person has mentioned Tupac yet, worst hip hop thread

526x297-9R2.jpg

@Lili Marlene - you're right, and I recommended Eric B & Rakim's 1987 record! Haha! I didn't put Biggie or Tupac on my list, as I thought they were kind of the poster boys for hip-hop, I tried to steer the list to more underground artists, or ones that didn't get as much love, maybe, but deserve even more accolades than even maybe those two, controversial, I know. I like them very much, but they are not my favourites. It's great to have this thread!

@scutter please ignore @Youngheart's recommendations of obscure underground artists like Outkast, A Tribe Called Quest and Kendrick Lamar and stick to the classics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back