gonna lean out of the bunker here.... (1 Viewer)

anonymous coward

i come here a lot, i rarely post, but i always check the listings and most of the time i read the message board.
but here's the problem, with the exception of one or two people, every one on this board comes across as a complete wanker. i mean, i know nobody on this board personally, but i go to all the same events and i've talked to a few of the posters here at gigs etc, and those i have talked to come across as nice, but my christ the board seems to be populated with small minded pricks, to use a board catchphrase....
i mean you only have to look at other boards to see the bad rep this place has. for a public forum it's one of the most clicky ignornant place on the web, where no-one new is welcomed, unless they have the persistence to keep posting until they gain a good rep.
with the exception of pete, whose opinions i regularly read on the ireland offline board, herv, and stuart little, who was funny, the rest of you seem to be the type of people that make me avoid gigs connected to this board and turn me off bands that are mentioned here...
perhaps i am wrong, but if i am i am not alone, with numourous people in agreement.
i'm signing this as anon, as it can be disregarded by every subsequent poster as they rush to protect the board. my opinion will not change, however it will be interesting to see how this is viewed by the thumped community....

anonymous koward (16 Apr, 2002 08:22 p.m.):
i come here a lot, i rarely post, but i always check the listings and most of the time i read the message board.
but here's the problem, with the exception of one or two people, every one on this board comes across as a complete wanker. i mean, i know nobody on this board personally, but i go to all the same events and i've talked to a few of the posters here at gigs etc, and those i have talked to come across as nice, but my christ the board seems to be populated with small minded pricks, to use a board catchphrase....
i mean you only have to look at other boards to see the bad rep this place has. for a public forum it's one of the most clicky ignornant place on the web, where no-one new is welcomed, unless they have the persistence to keep posting until they gain a good rep.
with the exception of pete, whose opinions i regularly read on the ireland offline board, herv, and stuart little, who was funny, the rest of you seem to be the type of people that make me avoid gigs connected to this board and turn me off bands that are mentioned here...
perhaps i am wrong, but if i am i am not alone, with numourous people in agreement.
i'm signing this as anon, as it can be disregarded by every subsequent poster as they rush to protect the board. my opinion will not change, however it will be interesting to see how this is viewed by the thumped community....

How can u take the whole of this board,bar three people and call us wankers?
I do see what you mean when you talk about the cliqueiness of the board,but understand this,boredom is a terrible affliction.I know there is a hardcore of about 10-15 people who post here at least five times a day,and usually just take the piss.I can guarantee the vast majority have jobs that entail sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day and have nothing better to do.

If you are going to call people small minded pricks,then back it up.Give examples,you don't have to name names,just cite posts or threads that you thought were shite.Don't just point your gun wildly and fire at random.

The way i see it,the board is a place to announce gigs,ask for help,and discuss topics of concern to us.I whole-heartedly agree that some of the threads descend into shite,and i for one and not innocent of this.But i'm not fuckin harming or offending anyone,am i?

I have a feeling you read the posts by those 'kids' that were around calling everyone 'gay' and talking complete rubbish last week.You have to expect that,and you have to ignore it.

hello there.

i'm not exactly too sure how to respond to this. i would have to say that i reckon 90% of web boards do exhibit a certain amount of cliquey-ness, there are various electronic music web boards that i have posted to in the past, (and still occassionally do, when i can pluck up the courage to make a point without feeling like a great wally) that i have never recieved any response from anyone on. it is undoubtedly irritating, when you think you have something interesting and worthwhile to add and it just falls by the wayside. i noticed it here on thumped on numerous occassions when i first started posting heavily several months back, but gradually people begin to get some idea of who you are and what you stand for.
i guess one argument, (which does side with the cliques, and fuck it, lets be honest here, it can get pretty bloody cliquey here at times) is that there have been on several occassions people just posting bullshit (i do it myself and i know that if i didn't post as much as i do i would be ignored, and probably rightly so) which doesn't really amount to much at all. if this sort of posting isn't genuine, and relatively sporadic, then it gets ignored, simple as that.
but for people just joining the board it is pretty disillusioning when their initial posts are lumped in with the "spam", so to speak.
theres a lot of really cool and friendly people on here, but i guess we should occassionally try to be a little more accomodating. there are new generations of thumped people coming up all the time; i think now with the onset on THiNGS and all that has appeared as a result, and the open ended policy of things where supposedly anyone can get involved, that more people with be drawn to the board.
i don't want to be all preachy and stuff, just because the person who origionaly posted this mentioned my name, but it actually has been on my mind for a while as well.
this is gonna sound crap but the idea of THiNGS was of achieving so much more together as opposed to individuals running in our own little circles, and as the birth place of THiNGS i guess this board should in theory work like that too.

thats my two cents anyway.

call me an eejit, whatever.

ewan.

How can u take the whole of this board,bar three people and call us wankers?
I do see what you mean when you talk about the cliqueiness of the board,but understand this,boredom is a terrible affliction.I know there is a hardcore of about 10-15 people who post here at least five times a day,and usually just take the piss.I can guarantee the vast majority have jobs that entail sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day and have nothing better to do.

yes, i'd have to say i'd agree here though, boredom does play a major role in posting. and people do start to realise common ideas when we're all bored out of our tits. hence groups form.

If you are going to call people small minded pricks,then back it up.Give examples,you don't have to name names,just cite posts or threads that you thought were shite.Don't just point your gun wildly and fire at random.

The way i see it,the board is a place to announce gigs,ask for help,and discuss topics of concern to us.I whole-heartedly agree that some of the threads descend into shite,and i for one and not innocent of this.But i'm not fuckin harming or offending anyone,am i?

I have a feeling you read the posts by those 'kids' that were around calling everyone 'gay' and talking complete rubbish last week.You have to expect that,and you have to ignore it.[/quote]

How about we have a section for those of us that are bored at work?That way we can leave the main board free for the important stuff and we still get to spout shite.

Herv for moderator?

nine (16 Apr, 2002 09:18 p.m.):
How about we have a section for those of us that are bored at work?That way we can leave the main board free for the important stuff and we still get to spout shite.

Herv for moderator?

christ on a bike nine! twice in the one day??? :)

herv trouser mouse (16 Apr, 2002 09:23 p.m.):
nine (16 Apr, 2002 09:18 p.m.):

Herv for moderator?

christ on a bike nine! twice in the one day??? :)

It's the mullet herv,it's all about the mullet.;)
Woops,are we bullshitting again?

eh, yup... i think so. anyway, i'm off home to bed. i've been in this flippin interweb cafe too long. all i wanted to do was post an ad for my house! lets just see how this progresses in the morning..

nitey nite all.

Are you selling your house or wha...?

ah gives a fuck, just wanted to breifly show off my real name, talk a bit of shite cos I'm a cliquey wanker...
Yiz are all pricks... ALL of yiz!

nah, i'm not selling it, just renting a room out.

a question for you... if you liked the name ommo so much, why don't you just change your nickname back? easy peasy.

I've changed desks and have a manager behind me now! Guess that pretty much ends most of my involvement in Thumped.....

I'll still post....just not too often....and mostly on Things....

nine (16 Apr, 2002 08:54 p.m.):

not wanting to get in to a fight here, but it would be fair to say that in the bullshit versus music stuff talk stakes, the bullshit is winning hands down around here

The Caption Competition Thread, The Deadly joke thread, the fall over ourselves chatting up the bird thread...

now I post a fair whack of bollocks myself, but I like to think the majority of it is somewhat related to the topic up for discussion

I can understand that for someone who checks the board on a semi-regular basis it can be fustrating when they go to thumped to see what gigs/relaease/ general buzz is going on in the undeground thing and end up having to read a ton of pointless one liner in jokes...

jeez maybe I'm being hypocritical here, but thats a what I think

I'll say no more

ah yeah, point taken pantone. we all get bored though as was said before. but being directly responsible for one of those threads and responsible for the continuation of 2 of the others i think maybe its time to curtail my shit.

maybe if there was one thread running like in the days of the thumped neverending story...

The kid has a point guys... seriously.

but here's the problem, with the exception of one or two people, every one on this board comes across as a complete wanker.

with the exception of pete, whose opinions i regularly read on the ireland offline board, herv, and stuart little, who was [3]funny[/3], the rest of you seem to be the type of people that make me avoid gigs connected to this board and turn me off bands that are mentioned here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back