going back to college (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 0
im heading back to do a postgraduate course and i applied for a grant back in december.
since applying however i found out that the course has to be full time otherwise you're pretty much not gonna get the grant.

anyway, i cant wait to be a student and get 10% off burger king!!!!!!!!¬!!!!!!1

is this the bodybuilding degree we were talking about?

I did it for 6 years.

RE: Pad, could you not just take a night course for fun? Like it might take forever to actually get a degree but you could still take a course and see if the interest is really there or you're just feeling temporarily stagnant?

Yeah I could, but they don't do psychology part time as far as i can see. I could do psychotherapy part time though, so I might do that and then do psychology after.

Ok. I'm in a decent well paying job that I'm not particularly gone on anymore. It may sound like insanity, but I'd like to go back to college to study what I always wanted to study. Psychology. I've no savings and am wondering is it possible to do it? Financially speaking? I'd be a mature student at this stage.

you might be able to to a h dip (conversion course) in psychology, depending on what you did your undergrad in. if you've done arts, or done some psychology as part of arts its defo a runner id say. any relevant experience would help too. you can do that full time or part time if you wanted to keep working, and maybe through an arts by night course? you can also do it through the open university. also depending on your undergrad you could do a masters with psychology as part of it. in my MA class there were psychology people and engineering people too. dont have a notion about fees!
if youre doing the course with a view to working as a psychologist eventually it can take quite a while. you'll have to do at least a masters (for occupational or forensic psychology, plus a year to get chartered in the uk). if its educational/clinical/counselling psychology youre talking a structured phd, with a good bit of work experience (and most likely a masters) in between.
if you could stay working and do the undergrad somehow id recommend that... itd be a ridiculous amount of work but at least youd still have the job at the end of it and could decide whether you wanna take it further or not.
hope that hasnt put you off it completely!

Like Daydream Nation said if you've a degree already you can do a 2 year HDip instead of a 3 or 4 year degree in psychology. I went back to college to do this in 2006. As far as I know though they're all full-time (certainly the ones in UCD and TCD which I think are the only ones in Dublin), apart from the Open University. It would be possible to work at the same time and lots of people did but there's a pretty serious workload so prepare to be a bit knackered if you do so. For UCD and TCD they don't have a requirement that you had a certain amount of psychology as part of your undergrad (there were people who'd done engineering, law and general arts in my year. My undergrad was in something unrelated as well). I think the UCG course might require that you do, as do some of the British ones. They do ask that you demonstrate some sort of commitment to the area and an understanding of what psychology is so any relevant courses, work or volunteer work would help for the application. If you have any questions about it pm me! As regards fees I only had an undergrad so I got the grant. I was also able to get a loan which the bank deferred for two years but that situation might've changed what with the ould recession and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back