going back to college (1 Viewer)

pad

Since 2000
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Ok. I'm in a decent well paying job that I'm not particularly gone on anymore. It may sound like insanity, but I'd like to go back to college to study what I always wanted to study. Psychology. I've no savings and am wondering is it possible to do it? Financially speaking? I'd be a mature student at this stage.

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Not sure on how it works here but could you not just take out a loan? Enough to pay your college fees & rent & transportation and then get a part-time job (that might be difficult in this climate) to pay for food, etc. The way I see it, life is too short to hate what you're doing. So you may go into a it of debt for a while but so is half the world. You'd be better off than most people in college in the states since fees here are virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things. You'd need to make concessions for a few years and it might seem a bit rougher than your use to now but hell better to be challenging yourself than just sitting around, no?

pad

Since 2000
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Absolutely. I'm just wondering if you can take a loan here though. Everyone talks of grants and things like that so I guess I'm wondering a) if I can get a grant and if not then can I get a loan somewhere? Anyone know?

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Absolutely. I'm just wondering if you can take a loan here though. Everyone talks of grants and things like that so I guess I'm wondering a) if I can get a grant and if not then can I get a loan somewhere? Anyone know?
Not sure about grants here but I would think what ever program you were looking into the school would probably be able to answer those questions and tell you what's available. As for loans, if a bank here gave me a loan, I think they'd give anyone one. They might even have special ones geared toward students these days. Isn't Ernesto a mature student?

Froog

Get some!
Supporter
Threads
if you go back to do a masters, and you haven't done one before, i think you'll get fees paid and full maintenence grant. prob not for a second degree tho.

riath

Supporter
Threads
If you have a degree you can get your fees paid for a Hdip or Masters but not both.

pad

Since 2000
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Ah right.
I have a masters degree already.
So this is going to be a particularly costly experience.
Can I get any sort of grant in that case?

mr pharmacist!!!!1

Threads
im heading back to do a postgraduate course and i applied for a grant back in december.
since applying however i found out that the course has to be full time otherwise you're pretty much not gonna get the grant.

anyway, i cant wait to be a student and get 10% off burger king!!!!!!!!¬!!!!!!1

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
imho working and doing college is great fun and everyone should do it. ps. kill me now
I did it for 6 years.

RE: Pad, could you not just take a night course for fun? Like it might take forever to actually get a degree but you could still take a course and see if the interest is really there or you're just feeling temporarily stagnant?

ernesto

Big stanks
Supporter
Threads
Website
strikeaction.bandcamp.com
think theyre doing away with grants but only for BTEA recipients.
quitting a fulltime job for returning to education isnt looked kindly upon in terms of receiving free monies of any description from the government.

shower another shower

Threads
RE: Pad, could you not just take a night course for fun? Like it might take forever to actually get a degree but you could still take a course and see if the interest is really there or you're just feeling temporarily stagnant?
I'm in the same boat myself. Not sure if I want to be an authority or an enthusiast.
In any case, I'm going back to do a FETAC course first, as all I've got is a HS diploma and life experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons Main Theme
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons Main Theme
    VGR
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons Main Theme
  • Happy Birthday
    Mars in Virgo
    Sneaks
    Happy Birthday

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads