Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Vicar Street, 18th April (1 Viewer)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
20b5dc5f887e6fe6c5015df5dbc4373e_XL.jpg

'They were, in a word, immense' - Dara Higgins on Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Vicar Street gig

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace shrill woman with young lad who looked like one of the Inbetweeners doing a running commentary of Godspeed trivia to his friend, doing Bez dancing to all the new stuff and having no craic at all during "East Hastings" and you described my night.

Also, I know ladies go to the toilets in twos but when did it become a thing for young lads to go to the bar in groups of four?

Replace shrill woman with young lad who looked like one of the Inbetweeners doing a running commentary of Godspeed trivia to his friend, doing Bez dancing to all the new stuff and having no craic at all during "East Hastings" and you described my night.

Were you standing reasonably close to the front, just inside the left end of the horseshoe of amps?

Nope, about halfway back on the right. I was the guy with glasses and a beard, I should have been really obvious in that crowd.

Friend of a friend watched the gig with me and almost his first words were, "I'm the only man here not in black."

Reason I asked was that you described a pair of goons that were standing very close to me.

I remember sitting upstairs in the Ambassador for one of their gigs years ago and two lads behind me discussed soccer at the top of their voices for ages. I asked them to save it till after the gig and they looked at me incredulously before carrying on deliberately louder. I'm still furious about it. Luckily I got a free ticket and don't like the bands anyway.

I remember sitting upstairs in the Ambassador for one of their gigs years ago and two lads behind me discussed soccer at the top of their voices for ages. I asked them to save it till after the gig and they looked at me incredulously before carrying on deliberately louder. I'm still furious about it. Luckily I got a free ticket and don't like the bands anyway.
Fucking thugball fans.

The drone bit at the start and the first "song" proper were both brand new. Then they played "Mladic" (AKA "Albanian") from 'Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend, then the new album in fun and finished with "East Hastings" from F# A# infinity.

The drone bit at the start and the first "song" proper were both brand new. Then they played "Mladic" (AKA "Albanian") from 'Allelujah! Don't Bend Ascend, then the new album in fun and finished with "East Hastings" from F# A# infinity.

I'd say it was from the new one then, which I've not heard yet. Thanks.

i actually have no idea what these lads sound like; i always assumed they were some kind of joke band based on the name

Yeah it was probably Mladic you're thinking of by the sound of it man. Cracking gig, was also standing beside a yattering moron though. New album is decent, maybe a little underwhelming compared to their older stuff but still came across very well live. They really are a terrific outfit. Really in sync with each other but not boringly precise or perfect either. And probably rocking out more than ever.

I like listening to this short segment when I need calming down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They played it at a gig years ago in Temple Bar, walking through the audience while doing so. Nice memory.

I like listening to this short segment when I need calming down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They played it at a gig years ago in Temple Bar, walking through the audience while doing so. Nice memory.

There's a nice live recording of that on the Constellation compilation "Song of the Silent Land" - it's about 7 minutes long there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back