godparenting (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
What does one need to do? I can't recall mine ever doing much for me, but I'm not sure if they should have or not.

Anyway, I've just been asked by a mate to stand for one of his kids.

I've said I will, but haven't a clue whats involved. As far as I know;

- go to christening (godparents is a religious thing, no?)
- go to wedding

thats it?

What's the status if your a godparent and then leave the church? I left the CC about 5 years ago but I was already a godparent to my sister (we'd run out of relatives to ask, she was the 6th kid) so I don't know what I'll do if I get asked to stand for her Confirmation like..

nah, it's just about looking after the spiritual well being of the child, has no legal standing at all

I thought the whole deal was like saying, if god takes me these are the people I want looking out for my child. Not in a legal way but the financial and well being of the child would be on their moral shoulders.

I thought the whole deal was like saying, if god takes me these are the people I want looking out for my child. Not in a legal way but the financial and well being of the child would be on their moral shoulders.

I thought that too. I guess there are 2 answers though, from what I gather from what people have posted.

1: The religious responsibilities. I have no problem with that. I'm still catholic and all.

2: The other responsiblities. To do with remembering birthdays and christmas and stuff.

But as far as religious stuff goes, I'd imagine if I turn up at my mate's doorstep and tell him I want to spend a couple of hours with my godchild to I can preach to them about religion and spirituality, that he'd run me from the place. In reality, that shit ain't gonna happen.

So it seems that its an exercise in seeing if you can get a child's affection by showering them with fanciful delights (or hard cash)?

Edit: I've just twigged. This kid is being brought up in an affluent area and is gonna be dead good looking. And its a she. Jaysus, this is gonna break me. I better sell everything I own....

I thought that too. I guess there are 2 answers though, from what I gather from what people have posted.

1: The religious responsibilities. I have no problem with that. I'm still catholic and all.

2: The other responsiblities. To do with remembering birthdays and christmas and stuff.

But as far as religious stuff goes, I'd imagine if I turn up at my mate's doorstep and tell him I want to spend a couple of hours with my godchild to I can preach to them about religion and spirituality, that he'd run me from the place. In reality, that shit ain't gonna happen.

So it seems that its an exercise in seeing if you can get a child's affection by showering them with fanciful delights (or hard cash)?

Edit: I've just twigged. This kid is being brought up in an affluent area and is gonna be dead good looking. And its a she. Jaysus, this is gonna break me. I better sell everything I own....

I believe the spiritual guidance is elective. On the godchild's side.
You just have to be available.

i feel a little bit weird about being a godparent because i'm in no way religious. made my communion and confirmation and all but everyone knows i don't believe in that shit.

but still, both my sisters asked me to be godmother.
i spoke with both of them about it and said "as long as you know where i stand and you're comfortable with me lying to the priest during the ceremony then i'll do it'. they didn't give a shit.
one of my sisters told me she was only getting him christened because it would be "easier" to get him in to the school she wanted to get him in...
i could kind of understand it. i just know i won't be christening my kids for any reason.

so far, all i've had to do was be at the ceremony. and that took about 10 minutes, all you have to do is stand up by the font and hold a candle and say somthing like "i will" a few times. you'll be grand scutter.

when i was a kid, the only way i even knew who my godparents were was because it said so on the cards they gave me. i don't give godmother cards, i give auntie jill cards. i care loads about all my nieces and nephews whether i'm their godmother or not. so for me, being a godparent is some sort of token gesture, and my agreement to be one is for easiness sake.

what is the sitch though, if the parents die? like, legally?

cheers Jill and number 7. Good to know.

Must look into whether theres any legalities or not.

I guess its common for a lot of people to ask family members to stand. In this case I'm not a family member. They've run out of them with their other kids, so I'm next. To be honest its an honour to be asked. But I guess it'd be an honour to be asked to look after someone's kid too. Doesn't mean I'm gonna do it though.

i feel a little bit weird about being a godparent because i'm in no way religious. made my communion and confirmation and all but everyone knows i don't believe in that shit.

but still, both my sisters asked me to be godmother.
i spoke with both of them about it and said "as long as you know where i stand and you're comfortable with me lying to the priest during the ceremony then i'll do it'. they didn't give a shit.
same here, an avowed atheist and was asked to be a godfather.

there's nothing legally binging about being a godparent, you've just got to stand there and agree with the priest when he asks do you agree to be a spiritual guide for the kid and do you reject Satan, the rest is a bit of a blur tbh.
it does however mean you have to babysit a bit more and get them a little extra for their birthday and crimbo. Eve has 4 godparents, i picked people i though would be good role models for her and definatly not for religous reasons as 2 are atheists, the priest knew this and was cool about it.

there's nothing legally binging about being a godparent, you've just got to stand there and agree with the priest when he asks do you agree to be a spiritual guide for the kid and do you reject Satan, the rest is a bit of a blur tbh.
it does however mean you have to babysit a bit more and get them a little extra for their birthday and crimbo. Eve has 4 godparents, i picked people i though would be good role models for her and definatly not for religous reasons as 2 are atheists, the priest knew this and was cool about it.

yeah defo means a lot more babysitting! i don't mind though, we chill.

i'm an amazing spiritual guide, if i do say so myself. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back