Giving up the smokes (2 Viewers)

How did you do it? When I know I'm going out I'll buy a pack that morning to save me the hassle of caving later that night and having to leave the pub and find a shop. Sober I don't even think about smoking.

A bit of failing until it stuck, to be honest. Also coming to the realisation that it was such a social anxiety trigger for me when drinking/out kind of changed my mindframe. I was convinced I just loved smoking when drinking, but I kind of let that romantic idea go. I don't think about smoking at ALL when I'm sober, it kind of grosses me out now, but when I'm drinking I still get tempted every once in a while. Once or twice this year I've gone so far as to take a drag and felt immediately sick. I think, honestly, if you minimize the drink while you're trying t oget through the first 2-3 months, it helps, then you feel more like you've got something to lose.

Also, I've said this to my mam, who's tried and failed SO many times. I really think that the main thing you need to quit for good is the belief that you will NEVER smoke again, in ay circumstances. So not a "I'll quit but if I have the odd one drinking so be it" or "hopefully ill keep going for as long as i can etc.". You have to FULLY believe you're never smoking again under any cirumstances. I know that crossing into that mentality is what did it for me.

A bit of failing until it stuck, to be honest. Also coming to the realisation that it was such a social anxiety trigger for me when drinking/out kind of changed my mindframe. I was convinced I just loved smoking when drinking, but I kind of let that romantic idea go. I don't think about smoking at ALL when I'm sober, it kind of grosses me out now, but when I'm drinking I still get tempted every once in a while. Once or twice this year I've gone so far as to take a drag and felt immediately sick. I think, honestly, if you minimize the drink while you're trying t oget through the first 2-3 months, it helps, then you feel more like you've got something to lose.

Also, I've said this to my mam, who's tried and failed SO many times. I really think that the main thing you need to quit for good is the belief that you will NEVER smoke again, in ay circumstances. So not a "I'll quit but if I have the odd one drinking so be it" or "hopefully ill keep going for as long as i can etc.". You have to FULLY believe you're never smoking again under any cirumstances. I know that crossing into that mentality is what did it for me.
I think you're right there about the romantic idea that smoking and drinking are lovely things together.

Also I thought that the Juul was shite. I stopped using it after 2 months although my girlfriend still uses it and also smokes when drinking

I think you're right there about the romantic idea that smoking and drinking are lovely things together.

Also I thought that the Juul was shite. I stopped using it after 2 months although my girlfriend still uses it and also smokes when drinking

I mean listen, also in the greater scheme of things the pair of you are already doing pretty well just smoking when drinking. I had the idea that if I could do that I'd have kept going, for a while, but it always started taht way then slipped into smoking the leftover box from saturday when monday was rough, then buying another box etc.

I mean listen, also in the greater scheme of things the pair of you are already doing pretty well just smoking when drinking. I had the idea that if I could do that I'd have kept going, for a while, but it always started taht way then slipped into smoking the leftover box from saturday when monday was rough, then buying another box etc.
The leftover box is a fucking killer.

What year were individual cigarette sales banned in Ireland? Was it as late as the 90s?

I've been working outdoors with a heavy smoker, loads of various stress, pubs when they have been open are outdoors. Nice to be at a pub at all but there's a bit of social anxiety that permeates the whole beer garden, not just me. So I've been smoking LOADS.

It's pretty horrible. I'm depressingly aware that I'm gaining nothing but I've no idea how to broach it all mentally. i thought I'd figured all this out last time I quit smoking.

Still off them. Even though I haven't had a slip since my last post I'm solidly standing as a smoker who is not smoking today. The pandemic has dropped the social situations to zero but I still get cravings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back