Girl Band On Tour (1 Viewer)

7f23dcfbe64e4348bd21e29b1ec76fb1_XL.jpg

The hard-working Dublin noise rock unit play six dates around Ireland in between jaunts to Europe

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Like, not to sound like the world's most bitter loser - but my band made an album that's highly influenced by Sonic Youth, full of noise and uses a lot of the elements that Girl Band use but........... none of The Lads like us because we're openly feminist and are female-fronted.

Ok maybe I am bitter but why is it that the bands that are "legends", "heroes" and "unique" are.....never women, in Dublin?

Eyebrow raise and ego aside I bet they're excellent and I look forward to listening to them. My beef isn't with the band at all, its more Irish traditional medias tendency to ignore certain bands and FREAK out over others. It always feels like an ACTUAL girl band has to be "the voice of LGBTQ" or "a new feminist voice" and whereas a band by Girl Band gets totally focused on for their sound, heroic stage presence, pedals, etc. Again NO beef with the band, seems like absolutely lovely, hard-working lads who TOTALLY deserve the praise. Just...ugh, imbalance.

Like, not to sound like the world's most bitter loser - but my band made an album that's highly influenced by Sonic Youth, full of noise and uses a lot of the elements that Girl Band use but........... none of The Lads like us because we're openly feminist and are female-fronted.

Ok maybe I am bitter but why is it that the bands that are "legends", "heroes" and "unique" are.....never women, in Dublin?

Eyebrow raise and ego aside I bet they're excellent and I look forward to listening to them. My beef isn't with the band at all, its more Irish traditional medias tendency to ignore certain bands and FREAK out over others. It always feels like an ACTUAL girl band has to be "the voice of LGBTQ" or "a new feminist voice" and whereas a band by Girl Band gets totally focused on for their sound, heroic stage presence, pedals, etc. Again NO beef with the band, seems like absolutely lovely, hard-working lads who TOTALLY deserve the praise. Just...ugh, imbalance.
OK, none of The Lads is unfair.

To get down to specifics, I think your band (Alien She I assume?) have too many songs, and not enough grinding grooves with someone rambling over the top. I'd say people would be more than happy to hear a woman do those kind of vocals but singing, please, this is serious head music, can't be having tunes.

To get down to specifics, I think your band (Alien She I assume?) have too many songs, and not enough grinding grooves with someone rambling over the top. I'd say people would be more than happy to hear a woman do those kind of vocals but singing, please, this is serious head music, can't be having tunes.
My god. YOU'RE RIGHT.

just fixed that there for you.
Noise rock became synth wankery.
Nothing redeemable about them.
I remember really looking forward to seeing them at Primavera almost 10 years ago and I was so gutted they were fucking atrocious
They were obviously better earlier in their career but still have a bit of something to them.

I'm just jealous clearly and have penis envy.

#metoo

In fairness, I don't have much to contribute that you wouldn't explain better than me but if you are making the point that there is an unseen and undocumented bias against female artists in Ireland I agree with you 100%, but I've too much work to do to write that essay this week.

I don't think GB feature in it tbh but that doesn't invalidate the point either.

#metoo

In fairness, I don't have much to contribute that you wouldn't explain better than me but if you are making the point that there is an unseen and undocumented bias against female artists in Ireland I agree with you 100%, but I've too much work to do to write that essay this week.

I don't think GB feature in it tbh but that doesn't invalidate the point either.
They're fairly bang on as far as I know and donated money to Girls Rock so I value them. Just those DAMNNNNNNNN.....audience members

They're fairly bang on as far as I know and donated money to Girls Rock so I value them. Just those DAMNNNNNNNN.....audience members

I think there's an element in cultural cringe involved in their success here, they've got the Brit/Yank endorsement so people are more prepared to jump on them.

That's not a comment on their quality, just on Irish audiences.

i expressed surprise GB were popular (two LP's got to #11 in Irish charts)
in my previous post. never listened to GB until a few days ago.

it's usually fruitless checking out new bands / artists.
you could check out 50 bands and none of them would above mediocre.

the Irish media are twits - people from abroad often tell me how
small the local scene is compared to their own Dublin sized
(or smaller) city.
(esp. punk and metal folks but this is almost across the board)

when the media like a band that sounds like early SONIC YOUTH
(early 80's no wavey era) it's a surprise.

seeking validation from folks who are the problem is a waste of time
- Fuck 'em.
wanting approval from the establishment (especially in music)
is something i don't get.

just listened to ALIEN SHE :
you don't sounds like SY to me - you're much better than them.
the three songs i've heard were really, really good.
anymore bands around that sound like this ?

my only criticism of AS that is i have a prejudice against bands
putting cutesy posed photos of themselves on records.
but that's just me.

Don't worry Katie, I have a prejudice against bands who think they're too good to put some posed photos of themselves on a record so it evens out.

I don't get the whole Girl Band/Fontaines/Murder Capital media love. These bands are decent and all, but I don't get anything from them that I haven't heard before. It seems to me like a lot of the love for them comes from people that just haven't really heard the kind of music that helped define the genres these bands take influence from. I'm fairly sure most of the media presence is just coming from Aiken/MCD or whoever represents them. Not criticising that in the sense that they can do what they like, it's just akin to the kids that like Versatile never having heard early hip-hop.

I don’t know, I think Girl Band are the only ones that have anything really going on with them musically. I only heard of them through a couple of mates (who are old enough to hear most of Girl Band’s influences the first time around) and who are still actively engaged in listening to new music (as opposed to someone who hasn’t listened to anything new since their teenage years and are suddenly surprised that bands still exist).

Fontaines DC are fucking shite though.

I find Fontaines more interesting than Girl Band tbh. I mean, neither are in regular rotation or anything but I prefer the swaggering silliness of them to Girl Bands alt-dad rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back