Girl Band On Tour (1 Viewer)

7f23dcfbe64e4348bd21e29b1ec76fb1_XL.jpg

The hard-working Dublin noise rock unit play six dates around Ireland in between jaunts to Europe

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I only got into them a few months ago but love the LP. There was a cool video of them playing at SXSW or something similar that got me hooked, it was all stuff from the EPs rather than the album. I need to track down the EPs actually.

Ah fair enough.

For what it's worth I think they're excellent. Holding Hands with Jamie is a brilliant album and the new one sounds great on first couple of listens. I'm going to see them in November myself. Haven't seen them in years. Really looking forward to it.
Those lads just put on a fantastic show
Just great stuff, fantastic energy

And the singer is sound and grew up down the road from me (so extra sound)

Good thread!!

How I, an old person - whose rods and cones are failing and whose ability to experience joy is fading into nothing like the heat death of the universe - experienced the show

1570538870483.png

How the many more, younger people, optimism and hope intact, and who have yet to fully experience life's beat downs (and are probably on drugs anyway) experienced the show.

1570538946937.png

--------------------------------------------------
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gave the record a listen over lunch. It's a real triumph of mixing and production. As Moose said earlier, they don't really have the harshness of a lot of noise rock, very little nasty treble and loads of space carved out for the vocals.

Really liked the way the record breaths. Tension release, tension release, tension release. It sounds great even though the songwriting isn't really my thing.

met some people on Saturday night who been to see them.
so i listened to 'em yesterday.
guess what ? they are good !
didn't know they are from Dublin either,
reminds me the first JAMC single or MEMBRANES or EX and that era.
but that's not even accurate they have their own sound.
the guitarist's tone is a big part of it.

nice surprise that a decent band is popular.

met some people on Saturday night who been to see them.
so i listened to 'em yesterday.
guess what ? they are good !
didn't know they are from Dublin either,
reminds me the first JAMC single or MEMBRANES or EX and that era.
but that's not even accurate they have their own sound.
the guitarist's tone is a big part of it.

nice surprise that a decent band is popular.

It's a funny one, they're a brilliant band, they've sold out 1 of the 2 nights they were playing Vicar Street, the place was rammed and absolutely hopping on Friday night, but pretty much nobody I was talking to leading up to the gig seemed to have heard of them.

I never listened to them but I will soon. I've heard they're great. A lot of people seem to have similar anger they do as towards the Fontaines in that they're doing a lot of what many punk, underground or female-majority bands are doing, but lacking the same attention and let's face is huge hero-worshipping. Thoughts?

I never listened to them but I will soon. I've heard they're great. A lot of people seem to have similar anger they do as towards the Fontaines in that they're doing a lot of what many punk, underground or female-majority bands are doing, but lacking the same attention and let's face is huge hero-worshipping. Thoughts?
I think I read an article today where someone was still fighting the punk wars of the late 70s so don't expect this to be sorted out anytime soon.

I'm not sure if this is going to make total sense but Girl Band ACTUALLY sound like I'd expect Fontaines DC to sound based on the reviews that I've read of them. Girl Band don't really sound like anyone else, there's elements of Sonic Youth in there that I can see but that's it. Their shows are a lot of fun and I think their music's exciting. Sure give the new album a listen and see what you think.

I don't think those two bands are on the same page tbh, but I'd recommend GB.

I'm not sure if this is going to make total sense but Girl Band ACTUALLY sound like I'd expect Fontaines DC to sound based on the reviews that I've read of them. Girl Band don't really sound like anyone else, there's elements of Sonic Youth in there that I can see but that's it. Their shows are a lot of fun and I think their music's exciting. Sure give the new album a listen and see what you think.
I sort of know what you mean with your first point. On no-one else sounding like them, not sure I agree with that. Health, Liars, Crystal Castles all do to varying degrees. We don't do that type of music well or often in these parts (Ireland nor even the UK ) so in that regard they're pretty singular. Haven't gotten into their records so much (although I haven't checked out the latest) but they're really good live it has to be said.

I sort of know what you mean with your first point. On no-one else sounding like them, not sure I agree with that. Health, Liars, Crystal Castles all do to varying degrees. We don't do that type of music well or often in these parts (Ireland nor even the UK ) so in that regard they're pretty singular. Haven't gotten into their records so much (although I haven't checked out the latest) but they're really good live it has to be said.

Health, perhaps.
Liars havent been any use since they picked up synths instead of guitars and CC are absolute thrash

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back