Gin & Tonic Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

this is the gear, with Lime and lots of ice
bombay_sapphire.jpg

also i could be wrong but didn't gin and tonic originate from British Admirals while on duty in India. They drank tonic water as it helps prevent malaria or something, and added the gin to spice it up...

Haven't had g+t-sessions in a long time, think its cause the booze is so much dearer than beer around these parts.

Starting drinking cans can sometimes be a sticky and slow start, but stock up on ice, lemon, gin and tonic and you're already half there, and then you go over...laughing. Good for those difficult hangover challenges too. Make it with Bombay sapphire, and it's perfect.

this is the gear, with Lime and lots of ice
bombay_sapphire.jpg

also i could be wrong but didn't gin and tonic originate from British Admirals while on duty in India. They drank tonic water as it helps prevent malaria or something, and added the gin to spice it up...

I hope that was Bombay Sapphire :) G & T is the best drink in the world... especially with lime.

You're right kind of. There is quinine in the tonic water (Indian Tonic Water) which was good for malaria and Gin has juniper in it, also good for something or other. So drinking G&T was medicinal on top of all else.

I hope that was Bombay Sapphire :) G & T is the best drink in the world... especially with lime.

You're right kind of. There is quinine in the tonic water (Indian Tonic Water) which was good for malaria and Gin has juniper in it, also good for something or other. So drinking G&T was medicinal on top of all else.

ah crap it was, was a nice picture too... yes is indeed the nectar of the gods. A friend of mine used to be the Bombay Saphire rep, so it was always back to her place for g&t post dancing. There used to be crates of tonic water in there hall way, it was always on the go. Gordons isn't bad either.

medicinal and tasty what more do ya want

There's nothing quite so nice, especially in hot weather, as a crisp and refreshing Bombay G&T.

I can drink G&Ts all night and get pretty tipsy, but never falling over drunk. It's never made me sick, nor has it made me cry. I've always been a happy drunk though.

Can't STAND people who get drunk and then bawl and cry and need to be looked after.

I would love to be sitting at home drinking G&T's right now :)

Has anyone else tried Tesco Finest Gin? If you can't afford Bombay Sapphire it is much nicer, in my opinion, than the standard gins and about the same price.

I can't recommend Gin but I can recommend what I have just found in my music library
The Clash "Rude Boy" the directors cut
This is the version with the full music and none of the film cutting in....took me something like 25 years to get my hands on this.

'music library' - very posh, Janer.
:p

You're right kind of. There is quinine in the tonic water (Indian Tonic Water) which was good for malaria and Gin has juniper in it, also good for something or other.

Quinine is not good for malaria exactly, but it bleeds out of your pours and stops mosquitoes from biting (really does) so it's a prevention.

That's my excuse for drinking one or two G&Ts every day anyway! But I can't recommend getting drunk on gin. Bad news.

Quinine is not good for malaria exactly, but it bleeds out of your pours and stops mosquitoes from biting (really does) so it's a prevention.

That's my excuse for drinking one or two G&Ts every day anyway! But I can't recommend getting drunk on gin. Bad news.

I thought it was used as an anti-malarial, but maybe I'm wrong.

I actually find I don't get drunk if I'm drinking Gin & Tonic.

I would love to be sitting at home drinking G&T's right now :)

Has anyone else tried Tesco Finest Gin? If you can't afford Bombay Sapphire it is much nicer, in my opinion, than the standard gins and about the same price.

decided against it in the end - had to drive to college.

Tesco's finest? well, their cheapo vodka isnt overly repulsive so itd be worth a ging. avoid their whiskey though - eugh.

wish i had the luxeries of bombay saphire. over in spain good few times a year so generally pick up some nice cheap stuff there. actually, my parents are goin on one of those rosslare/cherbourg booze cruise weekend jobbies. better get the shoppin list ready!

A much overlooked aspect of the Gin and Tonic is the ice.
I feel that there must be a lot of ice, and that it must be crunched up ice.
I was a bit OCD with the G and Ts. You get your crushed ice, and you fill the glass loosely with it.
Then you pour in the right amount of gin, cause, the ratios are very important too. Too much tonic and you are bollixed. Then you fill with tonic, and if you get it right the whole thing sort of glows blue. Mix it up a little bit. And none of your cheapo tonic either. You dont want it too sweet, some tonics are manky and sweet. It should be proper strong fizzy tonic.

Oh man. Golden.
And you do get pleasantly hammered on it. I find it quite a civilised hammered, not emotional or ri ra agus ruaile buaile, just locked.

Appreciated.

A much overlooked aspect of the Gin and Tonic is the ice.
I feel that there must be a lot of ice, and that it must be crunched up ice.
I was a bit OCD with the G and Ts. You get your crushed ice, and you fill the glass loosely with it.
Then you pour in the right amount of gin, cause, the ratios are very important too. Too much tonic and you are bollixed. Then you fill with tonic, and if you get it right the whole thing sort of glows blue. Mix it up a little bit. And none of your cheapo tonic either. You dont want it too sweet, some tonics are manky and sweet. It should be proper strong fizzy tonic.

All your talk and you forgot the lemon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back