Gigs are shit: Discuss. (1 Viewer)

"I sometimes think that because records are a relatively new invention, performing music yourself, or hearing music being performed live, is what music really is"

Nicely put. I feel exactly the same way most of the time.

As a gig spectator, I don't think gigs are shit however I do think the experience of going to gigs is gone to the fucking dogs. Like air travel since 2001, the experience is ruined. Every dick in the audience now has a camera/phone/gadget taking video causing distractions, people's ADD seems to rear its head during performances, is it that hard to shush for 30mins/50mins? Do you really need to turn to the person/your mates next to you to let them know this is your favorite song? Do you really need to even pay attention at gigs anymore since you can just Youtube the thing after?

professional photographers are more annoying than people with camera phones. i can ignore people with camera phones but when a snapper gets all up in my grill trying to get a good shot i feel like snapping necks.

professional photographers are more annoying than people with camera phones. i can ignore people with camera phones but when a snapper gets all up in my grill trying to get a good shot i feel like snapping necks.

They should be forcibly removed and then shot.

spoken like a man who's never played to a chattering Whelan's audience

I'm sure people have attempted to chatter, and by chatter I mean scream directly into each others ears.

But yeah that's another reason that I find singer-songwriters so mental. Audiences that could just leave if they're not interested wreck my head. There's a bar in Whelans for example which is designed purely for chattering I can't understand why people wouldn't just go there instead. I guess they think it's rude to leave but it's way more rude to just ignore feelings of the people around you and the person on stage by talking away and then politely clapping in between songs as though that makes up for it.

Pricks.

I've decided I like gigs again. I go to the majority of gigs I attend on my own (cos I'm a bit sad that way). One good thing about going to a gig on your own is that you don't have to talk to anyone. If you don't talk to anyone you can ear-wig on conversations of others. The number 1 topic of conversation of people at gigs is invariably music, and/or other gigs they've been to. These conversations can range from very interesting to downright hilarious. I was at a gig last night and was earwigging on some people who really knew their music. If truth be told, I prefer listening to people who haven't a clue, but tis enjoyable either way.

I've decided I like gigs again. I go to the majority of gigs I attend on my own (cos I'm a bit sad that way). One good thing about going to a gig on your own is that you don't have to talk to anyone. If you don't talk to anyone you can ear-wig on conversations of others. The number 1 topic of conversation of people at gigs is invariably music, and/or other gigs they've been to. These conversations can range from very interesting to downright hilarious. I was at a gig last night and was earwigging on some people who really knew their music. If truth be told, I prefer listening to people who haven't a clue, but tis enjoyable either way.

Ditto. As I nod hello from across the room while doing the same thing.

They should be forcibly removed and then shot.

I'm sure people have attempted to chatter, and by chatter I mean scream directly into each others ears.

But yeah that's another reason that I find singer-songwriters so mental. Audiences that could just leave if they're not interested wreck my head. There's a bar in Whelans for example which is designed purely for chattering I can't understand why people wouldn't just go there instead. I guess they think it's rude to leave but it's way more rude to just ignore feelings of the people around you and the person on stage by talking away and then politely clapping in between songs as though that makes up for it.

Pricks.

I dunno, you put 50-100 people in a room there's going to be some amount of talking. Personally I'd rather they were there than playing to 3 mutes. Within reason of course.

Maybe I have an over-romanticised view of these things but I've learned to love all the stuff that typically forms part of the fabric of gigging in Ireland: the obnoxious soundman, the over-exuberant dancer, the creeping photographer, the hot bored staff, the leery curmudgeon in earplugs who won't take his backpack off, the blissed-out girl with eyes closed grinning like a simpleton...

You left out too stoned to talk to anyone but still stands at the front guy.

And the person who repeatedly requests either the one hit wonder the band had or an 'obscure' b-side from 4 albums back. Someone talented should draw this!
(Kind of like this: http://gulcinekiz.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/classroom-management-02.jpg)

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/

I dunno, you put 50-100 people in a room there's going to be some amount of talking. Personally I'd rather they were there than playing to 3 mutes. Within reason of course.

Maybe I have an over-romanticised view of these things but I've learned to love all the stuff that typically forms part of the fabric of gigging in Ireland: the obnoxious soundman, the over-exuberant dancer, the creeping photographer, the hot bored staff, the leery curmudgeon in earplugs who won't take his backpack off, the blissed-out girl with eyes closed grinning like a simpleton...

Sorry, I meant the talking over a very quiet act, like some tiny lady with an acoustic guitar and a whispery voice being talked over by lads shouting about the champions league. There are two sides to this though. Anyone remember that Rednecks gig in Whelans where the support was the Dublin Guitar Quartet ? The lads in DGQ where at the end of their rope because of all the noise. To be fair though it was a saturday night and everyone had paid in to do some rocking so they where fucked from the get go.

But when people go to a gig they know is going to be a sedate hushed affair they should know better than to talk at high volume.

There's no excuse for photographers to act the way they do. It's ridiculous. 3 songs no flash should be introduced again except at small gigs where it should be 1 song no flash because basically it's dublin like ? The band aren't going to bring on a fucking inflatable lucifer and several go go dancers. How they look at the start is basically how they'll look at the end except maybe sweatier.

For everytime a spa photographer blinds you with his badly directed "bounced" flash (which should be fucking outlawed by a decent diffuser or use a few rizzlas like a decent human being you cunt) you should be allowed to spit in their face. That's essentially what they're doing to you. And if you are in a band and you say "please stop blinding me and stepping on peoples feet" they should just stop, no questions asked.

A bit of self awareness at gigs is all that's asked for really.

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/
There's no excuse for photographers to act the way they do. It's ridiculous. 3 songs no flash should be introduced again except at small gigs where it should be 1 song no flash because basically it's dublin like ? The band aren't going to bring on a fucking inflatable lucifer and several go go dancers. How they look at the start is basically how they'll look at the end except maybe sweatier.

I was at that Johnny Marr gig last night and all the photographers were hauled out after 3 songs. I was well impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back