Ghosts (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 116
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 3
I feel sory for the people that dont see apparitions.
Yer obviously not worth a wank to them that live in the NEXT DIMENSION.

Note to self..call next band THE NEXT DIMENSION

Watching a doco on prohibition andv there was an early temperance movement call the Cold Water Army
I was thinking 'great name for a band', so I googled the name. First fucking result was some fucking band from Florida, not even the actual thing itself.

8awAC.png

Captain Morgan and his Hammond Organ

Then everything is real.

And, by extension, nothing is.
Half right, everything is real but some things haven't been explained fully yet but that doesn't mean the phenomena can be simply written off as "not real".

So another example.

Aurora Borealis

It's God !!

It's the Devil !!!

It's Electricity !!!!

Oh right it's refracted light (or whatever it is I'm being very layman here)

Well that explains it. Still real though.
So a ghost may not be the spirit of a dead person walking the earth it doesn't mean you can just go

"No, you didn't have that experience. I wasn't there and I have no evidence whatsoever of that you did or did not experience something which you believe was a ghost but I'm telling you it wasn't a ghost and you didn't have that experience"

Believing in ghosts is an arrogance. It siupposes that we're something more than just some animal species that gamed natural selection. That we're something with souls that live forever.
We're not.
We live in a time where we get to have a tantalizing insight into how this planet and universe work. We should spend more time on that than talking like grannies.

Your head might tell you that 3+3=8, that doesn't make it 'real'
No maths can prove that 3 + 3 = 6

That's completely different

Thus far no one has explained why people experience "ghosts"

Believing in ghosts is an arrogance. It siupposes that we're something more than just some animal species that gamed natural selection. That we're something with souls that live forever.
We're not.
We live in a time where we get to have a tantalizing insight into how this planet and universe work. We should spend more time on that than talking like grannies.
Ha arrogance ? Really ? You don't think it's far more arrogant to just write off people's experiences because you don't share their beliefs is even more arrogant ?

You're still completely missing the point.

Lets say "ghosts" are a physical, emotional, psychological experience. Like a hallucination or a waking dream or whatever.

I don't believe that people see the spirits of dead people walking the earth. I believe that part of their brain is playing tricks on them. Maybe it's something misfiring on a chemical level like with a seizure or a part of their subconscious leaking into their conscious thought process like deja vu or maybe or a whole myriad of possibilities but whatever it is it has a cultural and artistic value.

so deja vu isn't "real" but on the other hand it is real while it's happening, maybe that's explains it a bit better.

So another example - Sleep paralysis. Part of that experience can be that a big scary mother fucker that comes into your room and you can't move to fight them off. Now that monster isn't "real" but it can't be explained either and takes on a different kind of reality in art and culture like the incubus etc. So while that's not real, in another sense it is a real symptom of a real disorder which millions of people experience,

Just like deja vu

Or in this case "ghosts".

First thing I did when I moved into the new gaff was do a newspaper archive search of the address. A 6 year old died here in 1940s and an aul wan in the 1930s. That night I promptly had a dream where the 6 year old appeared at the door, but I knew it was a dream because he was wearing a tracksuit.

2 PAGES and no one has posted this

where's @nlgbbbblth when you need him

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lets say "ghosts" are a physical, emotional, psychological experience. Like a hallucination or a waking dream or whatever.

I don't believe that people see the spirits of dead people walking the earth. I believe that part of their brain is playing tricks on them. Maybe it's something misfiring on a chemical level like with a seizure or a part of their subconscious leaking into their conscious thought process like deja vu or maybe or a whole myriad of possibilities but whatever it is it has a cultural and artistic value.

so deja vu isn't "real" but on the other hand it is real while it's happening, maybe that's explains it a bit better.

So another example - Sleep paralysis. Part of that experience can be that a big scary mother fucker that comes into your room and you can't move to fight them off. Now that monster isn't "real" but it can't be explained either and takes on a different kind of reality in art and culture like the incubus etc. So while that's not real, in another sense it is a real symptom of a real disorder which millions of people experience,

Just like deja vu

Or in this case "ghosts".

I get where you're going with it but I'd argue that the experience of ghosts is real but the ghosts themselves are not. If I hallucinate that I have seen a person, does that make the ghost real? No, it makes me think I saw something real. Your brain has evolved to take sensory information and use short cuts to find the most obvious explanation for a situation as quickly as possible; if a misfiring happens in the visual stream to make you think you saw a person (and the brain again has evolved to very rapidly analyse sensory information for faces and human characteristics, that's why people see faces in toast, machines, etc.) then you get the sensation of a person being there.

Sleep paralysis is a good example. When you sleep, your brain switches off your motor system so you don't do yourself a mischief while sleeping. Only your respiratory system, eyes and genitals remain on (hence why wet dreams can happen). Sleep paralysis is where consciousness kicks in but the motor system does not. It feels like you're being held in place because you are willing yourself to move but can't. This in turn causes anxiety, leading the brain to try and figure out what the worst possible scenario is and that is that someone or something is holding you down.

When you know this, sleep paralysis no longer feels like that but like a lack of response to your actions. I have had sleep paralysis but not before I had read about what it was. I had no manifestations of people holding me down because my brain had an explanation ready to hand. On the other hand, I was walking along the other day and one of the straps on my bag was caught awkwardly, making it feel like someone was grabbing my bag to turn me around. There was no one there but the feeling of someone there was strong. That didn't make the phantom person there a reality but an explanation for reality.

If there are ghosts, and they are the spirits of people still hanging around their house and family then that's very sad. They need to talk to someone, perhaps a bespectacled midget with a squeaky voice and a southern drawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back