Get me started. Or not. (1 Viewer)

One caveat though - I haven't actually got it to work as an audio interface per se (i.e. connecting directly to Reaper). Using the line in to record and then transferring the files over to Reaper which is a pain. But I know it can be done properly - just haven't bothered trying to figure out what the problem is yet.

have successfully used an old zoom h4 with newest reaper a few days ago. it was my first time recording with reaper. it was mostly plug'n'play.
i had to restart everything just once and then it worked well. i must say that was the quickest successful 1st time set up ive ever experienced with regards to recording/laptop/software/interface/drivers etc.

There's a thing on Garageband where you can continuously loop a part, and record another track. As the looped track ends, the loop goes back to the start, but the recording keeps going...ie your live track keeps recording, but you're now recording over what you just did. It's a great tool for drumming. Do any of you know whether this is possible on Reaper? Or should I just copy and paste my loop 50 times and play along? This involves several extra editing steps to finalise the bit I like, which really gets in the way of the work flow. I can't find anything on the documentation to help, and nowt on youtube so far. Help gratefully received!

I'm recording in Reaper. What can people recommend for doing beats? That's cheap. Or better yet free. I've a few song ideas that I just want to finish out.

There's a thing on Garageband where you can continuously loop a part, and record another track. As the looped track ends, the loop goes back to the start, but the recording keeps going...ie your live track keeps recording, but you're now recording over what you just did. It's a great tool for drumming. Do any of you know whether this is possible on Reaper? Or should I just copy and paste my loop 50 times and play along? This involves several extra editing steps to finalise the bit I like, which really gets in the way of the work flow. I can't find anything on the documentation to help, and nowt on youtube so far. Help gratefully received!

In reaper the loop button is to the right of the play button.

You'll have to highlight the region you want to loop.
Arm the tracks you are gonna be recording on.
Hit the loop button (or just 'r' if you like keyboard commands it does the same thing).

It should do what you are looking for then. heres a screenshot of it setup:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 21.07.39.png

Hit the loop button (or just 'r' if you like keyboard commands it does the same thing).

View attachment 14173
That's really super, thank you...all new information to me. As it happpens, in attempting a work-around I've kinda been forced to do 20 minute takes, and I'm really enjoying it. But when time's pressing, as it normally is, that will be a massive help. Going to take a crack at it now.

Edit: REPEAT! It's called repeat! D'oh etc

View attachment 14173

Just curious, I've never used Reaper but with all those buttons on the interface (such as this Repeat one), when you hover the mouse cursor over a button does it give you a name or function of that button?
I mean it's easy to assume it would, I'm just wondering as Reaper is the free DAW and that and maybe they didn't develop that yet

Just curious, I've never used Reaper but with all those buttons on the interface (such as this Repeat one), when you hover the mouse cursor over a button does it give you a name or function of that button?
I mean it's easy to assume it would, I'm just wondering as Reaper is the free DAW and that and maybe they didn't develop that yet

It does that, though DAW's all love to call the same thing something different.

I'm recording in Reaper. What can people recommend for doing beats? That's cheap. Or better yet free. I've a few song ideas that I just want to finish out.

For free you can assemble electronic drumkits in reaper. Some nerd in the forums has made them up as effects, so you put the effect on the channell and then write the beats in midi. If you learn these you can build a kit out of anything.

Also for free there are sequencers in reaper if you have time to spend learning them.

There are drum samples floating around online that will loop if you want a traditional sound.

When i used to use it a lot I robbed a pretty pricey program from the internet and sequenced in midi.

That's because they all invented that thing themselves, honest

Also reasons of lineage and marketing and not paying for things.

Like every program now has a fake 'fuzz pedal' in it for recording guitar. It'll always have some bullshit hendrix inspired name like 'hazy purple generator' rather than risk saying what it is they have ripped off. reaper love to be sciencey and boring so there is going to be some mind numbing programming reason why they say its a repeat and not a loop.

For free you can assemble electronic drumkits in reaper. Some nerd in the forums has made them up as effects, so you put the effect on the channell and then write the beats in midi. If you learn these you can build a kit out of anything.

Also for free there are sequencers in reaper if you have time to spend learning them.

There are drum samples floating around online that will loop if you want a traditional sound.

When i used to use it a lot I robbed a pretty pricey program from the internet and sequenced in midi.

I found an old hard drive with loads of samples on it last night after being on this thread. Loads of drum loops and hits. had a bit of craic sequencing them. Some of them are really good quality. I used to use them years ago but had forgotten about them.

I actually used to get a magazine called Computer Music (nerd alert!) years ago that used to always have free software and samples every month. Some of the stuff used to be pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back