Get me started. Or not. (2 Viewers)

You can get digital versions of the old 4 tracks can't you? I started out on the old Roland VS880. Still have it. It took a bit of getting used to.

The problem with computers is that there are a million different ways to do something simple. People love inventing gizmos and designing software to exploit the endless avenues and it looks ridiculously daunting....

But the great thing about computers is that you can also do simple things pretty simply.

If you have access to a mac or an iPhone with garageband, you can literally just plug your guitar in and press record. It's amazing.

Audio interfaces are a better way of doing things, you'll get far greater control over signal levels/ability to use mics etc, but really as long as your laptop has a line in for a mic, you can just plug your guitar in there.

I've been on the same copy of Cubase for at least 10 years to record on, and I use Guitar Rig for guitar sounds.
But i imagine some of the newer free programmes mentioned above must have plug and play guitar options.

Really though, just download something and plug in. You'll fucking get it working.

I bet one thumped 2002 rep point that

options -> preferences-> device -> output

is set to the computer/laptop speakers and can be switched to the zoom or headphones as output.

might need to go into mac/pc sound options to tweak this (it 'depends')...

Got this sorted. I think you deserve that rep point. Weirdness though.

I connect it up as an audio interface and tell Reaper to use the H2n under preferences->device->audio device (note in version of Reaper I am using - v6.05 - there is no distinction here between input and output audio devices). I then arm a track and get godawful feedback. If I then disarm the track and go back into preferences and revert to the default system device something weird happens. It continues to use the H2N as the input audio device anyway but goes back to headphones as output audio device - and all is well with the world.

Better solution though seems to be to check the option in preferences->device that says "Allow use of different input and output devices (legacy option, not recommended)" and then you can set the H2n as input and default system device (i.e. headphones) as output.

No apple products in this house.
And you first paragraph is probably the truest thing on the internet.
I use one of these for hooking my guitar and mic up to the laptop. I've had it for about 10 years. Does the job but not able to record 2 inputs at the one time. It comes with amp modelling software called Pod Farm so you don't need to worry about micing up your amp. If you have any pedals you can hook them up here as well. I record everything using reaper. This is really good for doing getting ideas down and the like. It's a really simple set up and you can get up and running with it really quickly. I might upgrade to the focusrite one in another while. Line 6 POD Studio UX 1 incl. POD Farm | MUSIC STORE professional | en-IE

I have a fender mustang amp. It has modelling and as a result can be plugged into a computer with USB. I also have a marshall origin with some kind of output for recording. Would either of those save me money on some gadget to go in between?

Yes that saves ya on needing any interface. Just need the Reaper or Audacity software. Audacity probably handier to get started with. Here's the instructions and a link to driver ya need to install.

Can be. With Reaper, for example, you can sequence beats. It's just putting dots on a grid.
Before I got into that kind of thing I used to use the beats from an old keyboard that had 100 drumbeats on it. I'd take a line out of the headphone jack, set the tempo for what I wanted and go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back