General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

i'm all for property/wealth tax, but an overhaul of LPT based on property values in a stupidly dysfunctional market seems, i dunno, kinda tone deaf?
govt fucks up the property market so people have to pay more is not going to go down well.

also, couldn't you argue that if a) housing is a fundamental human right, and b) the govt themselves claim that €450k is an 'affordable' house in dublin, that someone in a house worth say €440k has no 'net' wealth from housing, so should fall outside the tax?

i'm all for property/wealth tax, but an overhaul of LPT based on property values in a stupidly dysfunctional market seems, i dunno, kinda tone deaf?
govt fucks up the property market so people have to pay more is not going to go down well.

I think they are revaluing the properties based on current rates but lowering the tax rate to avoid significant jumps in the tax to be paid. Doesn't seem like a big issue and hopefully it goes some way to it becoming a meaningful way for local councils to raise their own money which IMO is the key to actually getting shit done in your local area...

also, couldn't you argue that if a) housing is a fundamental human right, and b) the govt themselves claim that €450k is an 'affordable' house in dublin, that someone in a house worth say €440k has no 'net' wealth from housing, so should fall outside the tax?

Actually- what would be interesting is if you don't have a mortgage to pay you should pay the full tax, and if you do have a mortgage then it should be split between you and the bank, depending on how much of the mortgage you've paid... Considering it is still partly their asset...

Actually- what would be interesting is if you don't have a mortgage to pay you should pay the full tax, and if you do have a mortgage then it should be split between you and the bank, depending on how much of the mortgage you've paid... Considering it is still partly their asset...
A nice idea but I’m sure the bank will find a way to charge you and make a further profit on it.

Does anyone in government agree with A? Genuine question because its a good argument

Doesn't seem like a big issue and hopefully it goes some way to it becoming a meaningful way for local councils to raise their own money which IMO is the key to actually getting shit done in your local area...
it is an issue in that (and i'm not playing the woe is me card here, i'm able to afford the tax) my property tax has gone up not because i've become wealthy, but because the government have fucked up the property market.

you could argue that if they fixed the property market, property would decline notably in value, as would the book wealth of irish people in general, even though the country would be far better off for it.

you could argue that if they fixed the property market, property would decline notably in value, as would the book wealth of irish people in general, even though the country would be far better off for it.
The language we are steeped in is that everything that isn't constantly rising prices is not progress, where what facilitates that is an investment market that prices people out of the market.

The value is a falsification in any case - the word value is really not being used totally fairly - the value of the a house can be both the price or the value of security.

It all drives me up the wall anyways.

6644610bb237b8f32a0f8816fb155764.jpg

4000.jpg

No doubt we need some of this

The language we are steeped in is that everything that isn't constantly rising prices is not progress, where what facilitates that is an investment market that prices people out of the market.

The value is a falsification in any case - the word value is really not being used totally fairly - the value of the a house can be both the price or the value of security.

It all drives me up the wall anyways.
I was genuinely fascinated with this headline the other day

"strong recovery".... from what? Was the whole story only six months ago not that we grew GDP in 2020 despite half the people losing their jobs because GDP bears no relation to anyone's lived reality in Ireland?

Not only do we have to grow GDP every year forever - because capitalism says so - but we can also pretend that increasing GDP after a year where we just increased GDP is a "recovery" because both industry documents and newspapers are fucking ponzi schemes that work on the assumption that no one can remember more than a week ago.

Fucking irish times man, what the hell.

I've defo read or spoke to folk who said GDP is a joke because it has no trackers on quality of like.

Anywho I'm kinda busy been frustrated by the whole PUP/dole discussion more or less sideling disability benfit as usual.

how about tax homes that are not primary dwellings.
heavily incrementally tax any more homes they may own/rent out.
but leave people in their fucking homes alone.
the government ARE tone deaf and are in for kick up the arse

The website ‘On the Ditch’ reported that Ms Conroy wrote in the blog that her message to US pop star Miley Cyrus would be that “you are a powerful young woman, use it wisely, you've had more online hits than the children in Syria, you've had your moment, spend it well”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back