General election 2020 (7 Viewers)

I hope they continue to bitch and moan and show us how out of touch they are, each time they do it their vote share next time drops half a percent.

Reading the journal's report on the meeting in Cork last night the closest thing to a seditious assault on democracy was from the Solidarity guy who was present.

I'm the last person to say nice things about SF but the political and media folks who don't like them are badly overplaying their hands. Plenty of reason to criticise them but anything valid is being drowned out by the static of the nonsense.

You could also read it as 'journo who is married to fine geal searching through old SF tweets and anti abortion websites at 2am'.

Looks like Gript (who uncovered the damning 6 year old tweets from way before she was a Sinn Fein candidate) are run by John McGuirk, who was in charge of the Save The 8th campaign. It's basically Spiked for Ireland with an anti-abortion conservative catholic slant. Challenging the "liberal consensus" ..... "concerned" about immigration .... the usual stuff.

Looks like Gript (who uncovered the damning 6 year old tweets from way before she was a Sinn Fein candidate) are run by John McGuirk, who was in charge of the Save The 8th campaign. It's basically Spiked for Ireland with an anti-abortion conservative catholic slant. Challenging the "liberal consensus" ..... "concerned" about immigration .... the usual stuff.

Yeah I saw that on further poking around.

Meanwhile a FF is setting up a meeting on crime* in Tuam this week, oddly enough nobody is flipping out and calling it a trump style rally.

I'm the last person to say nice things about SF but the political and media folks who don't like them are badly overplaying their hands. Plenty of reason to criticise them but anything valid is being drowned out by the static of the nonsense.
it's kinda astounding how badly FG have played this all along. people repeatedly pointing out that their 'we're a party of the people' ads online defined 'the people' as being anyone above average wage, and they still kept churning them out. i took great delight at pointing out to my local (now ex) FG TD that whoever wrote their policy on biodiversity didn't actually understand biodiversity.

they're a party of 'we'll trust people who are good at taking our money after showing us some shiny powerpoint slides while wearing nice suits'.

do the green party have any activity up north? is there even a green party (be they standalone, aligned with ireland, or aligned with the UK green party) active up there?

they're a party of 'we'll trust people who are good at taking our money after showing us some shiny powerpoint slides while wearing nice suits'.

In fairness, whoever styles Leo does a great job. His suits are ace.

do the green party have any activity up north? is there even a green party (be they standalone, aligned with ireland, or aligned with the UK green party) active up there?

NI Greens are a branch of the Greens that sit in the Dail*, they have a couple of MLAs. They also have links to the Scottish Greens and the Greens in England and Wales.

* I don't know if they play that up though as they style themselves as a cross-community party and maybe it's better to be discrete in case of any awkwardness.

They do.

Alignment wise both were members of the european greens, though i think that might be fecked now. ****they kinda function NI independently mostly i think.

**coincidentally i know one of them, not through work

Plenty of reason to criticise them but anything valid is being drowned out by the static of the nonsense.

Exactly. If all these critics were genuine in their criticism instead of just trying to scare monger, they could simply point at all the years SF have shared power up north and the massive amount of absolutely fuck all they've got done in that time. And if they really want to drive it home, they can just bring up water charges.

Political parties should be able to put forward many good reasons to receive votes without having to rely on criticizing others or in the case of FF vote for us because we are not them lads SF. I suspect Brexit may have played a part in SF's success myself perhaps along with untimely events like the proposed RIC comemeration. I'd say SF like every other party has some good and some bad politicians. Not that I've ever voted for them myself. I'd guess there's likely a generational divide in the perspective of them also and it's maybe the case that FF and FG are along way from accepting SF as a realistic party with one reason being there presence in the Dáil on a large scale is relatively recent.

I'd argue the Sinn Fein surge is similar to Labour in 2017 - a huge amount of the young who see no future in the status quo and are pushing left, and a fair few middle-aged people who gave them a number reluctantly for similar reasons but could easily swap back/not vote next election if they start seeing what they consider to be wacky proposals. I don't see any real Brexit factor in the votes here, exit polls were putting that at something like 1% for voting reason.

Last edited:
oi leo, you know that thing you do which is not working? keep doing it till it works.

How detached from reality is this clown?does he really have that little awareness of the image of his own fucking party?
he is such a Dickhead

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back