General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

Talk earlier in the thread about large sums of money not really existing is explained in this along with some other worthwhile info.

"From 2016 onwards, under the stewardship of the centre-right Fine Gael government led by Leo Varadkar, the economy continued to grow. But it was also becoming obvious that a large part of Irish growth was a result of being a tax haven. Irish GDP is €324 billion. But modified gross national income is €197 billion. This represents the real size of national income, and it is €124 billion smaller than GDP.

Equally, the stock of foreign direct investment in Ireland is around €850 billion but IMF research shows that nearly three-quarters of this is phantom. It is large multinationals shifting capital assets around their various subsidiaries to reduce their tax obligations.

All of this has made the economy look better than it actually is."

My more-politically-astute-than-me buddy reckons FF/FG are content to let SF run the country for a while, because they're very likely to fail to achieve anything and will destroy their credibility as an alternative in the process

My more-politically-astute-than-me buddy reckons FF/FG are content to let SF run the country for a while, because they're very likely to fail to achieve anything and will destroy their credibility as an alternative in the process
I don't think you have to be too politically astute to see that. Leo Varadkar said pretty much that in a statement at the start of the week. The problem for FFG is if neither of them go into government with SF the shinners are very unlikely to be able to form a government anyway. But if they were to have another election where SF can run more candidates they risk making them even stronger again, eroding further their own vote.

I'd be worried about another election though. Just looking at Spain and places that have had several in a short space of time, the left never does better the second time of asking.

Yep I think FG would be comfortable being in opposition although the sit back and let the other ones mess it up is kind of a questionable tactic. I'd imagine however that both FF and FG may be very stubborn about not forming a coalition with SF even if it might be interesting to see something like a FF/SF gov.

They kinda have to say that kind of thing considering how little they are connecting with people. It is the age old formula applied again and I wonder does it survive this round considering both parties are in a 40 year decline. If SF get one of the 3 de-neoliberalisations they campaigned on across the line (housing, banking or insurance) then they are going to look like 24 years of useless very fast.

What are the chances that FFG realise this is an existential issue and steal some of SF's clothes like Johnson is trying to do in the UK's north?
Get the Greens in

I don't know what that would look like - but committing to build more housing, increase the pace of Slainte Care, some big giveaway on childcare, would be a start

I mean this has had to have occurred to them

Feels like they're running down the clock now so in a couple of months (last government took 70 days to form) an "exasperated" FG go "fine, we don't really want to do this but we'll go in with FF." They can't do it now and will need to frame it as being in the national interest because if you get to 80 you get to 80 but it's certainly not in the spirit of the election result.

Martin seems sincere in his objections to working with SF, I'd have thought he'd have softened his tone by now if he was willing to deal with them, I wonder where some of his fellow party members are on it.

Good craic watching the media explode with "SINN FEIN ARE THE RA/ANTISEMITES/RACISTS/NOTFFG!!" outrage right now

I've been referring to it as the green panic. The rate at which a couple of journos have turned into twitter opinion hacks has been astounding, also with a strong odour of previously giving zero fucks about the north and now wading in drunk and blindfolded.

also the daily mail journo stunt a page or two back, I've since seen confirmation that that was indeed a straight up speech and photocall and the journo did indeed put on a show for the other journo to tweet about.
Kinda hope we go through the floor on the world press freedom index.

I've been referring to it as the green panic. The rate at which a couple of journos have turned into twitter opinion hacks has been astounding, also with a strong odour of previously giving zero fucks about the north and now wading in drunk and blindfolded.

Some of the tweets cited in the stuff about Cronin are objectionable (the Fluoride stuff at least makes her a kook in my book) but when all the tenuous stuff was rolled up and baked into the story it looked like they were trying too hard to get her/SF and it looked like it was nakedly in bad faith..

kinda funny to watch the 'how dare you say we're the RA' outrage from SF, as they bring gerry adams in from the cold.
all my previous opinions about them being a cult are being strengthened. pearse doherty appearing on the radio to defend one of their TDs who had claimed that hitler was basically a puppet of the rothschilds, was something you'd expect in a parody like scrap saturday. they're always so fucking principled when it's members of other parties who have sinned but are content with 'they apologised, can we please move on?' shitebaggery when it's one of their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back