General election 2020 (4 Viewers)

Yikes. We really need to make sure these are powered by renewables
They're building facebook's one in Clonee at the moment. I pass it regularly. Never seen a building site as big, ever. Surely a load of solar panels on the roof. The thing is as big as a big field.
Wasn't Apple's one in Galway going to be 100% renewable?

They're building facebook's one in Clonee at the moment. I pass it regularly. Never seen a building site as big, ever. Surely a load of solar panels on the roof. The thing is as big as a big field.

The rumours were A: Gas B: mystery renewables and C: over 100 backup diesel generators in case of a blackout.

It was literally going to be in front of my house so I was over the moon when they gave up

My office is up the road from that. The traffic is horrendous because of it. A friend did some work in there. The ESB have built a hub in the centre of it, at our expense I suppose.
The area used to be a wildlife reserve, there are old "no shooting" signs still to be seen, so I can only image the impact on the ecosystem.
On the idea that these things provide jobs; most of the workers are migrant engineers and craftsmen from England and Poland etc. who will be gone when it's completed leaving a crew of about 15 to run the entire complex. Those people won't spend any money locally as everything is available on site.
I believe there is a man made lake in it, presumably for cooling purposes?

a friend of mine worked on that site.
Insanely big. 20 min walk from one part of the site to the canteen the size of vicar street.

I don't think anyone claims that data centres provide long-term jobs, do they? Amazon/FB/Google employ thousands of people in Ireland, but not in their data centres
A lot of the functions supporting those data centres are not located in the data centre, no, but the jobs wouldn't exist in other locations, if the data centres themselves didn't exist.

Are they really jobs though if largely they are there to cope with the data surge of Snapchat posting over rag week or making space everyone's Instagram forehead things.

I don't think anyone claims that data centres provide long-term jobs, do they? Amazon/FB/Google employ thousands of people in Ireland, but not in their data centres
Some guy on twitter had a go at me for saying this. He was fully convinced a data centre would being loads of jobs to the area (somewhere in the midlands).

I worked in a massive factory in Leixlip where I used to live. While talking to some of colleagues, some of who were working there for 15 years or more, I realised that they didn't know the town at all. They would drive from their homes (most of them from miles away) to the factory, eat breakfast and lunch in the canteen (we weren't allowed to leave during our shifts) then go home again without spending a penny in any of the local shops or businesses.

That's thousands of workers not contributing to the local economy.

The place has since closed down leaving an enormous derelict building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back