General election 2020 (5 Viewers)

Apparently (according to twitter) the 'n' word Catherin Noone used in defending her shitty autistic comments about Leo which the times printed as "n***er" was "nutter."
nooo, really? hahaha

She should't have apologized, she's FG for god's sake, just embrace it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

man has a point

I'm glad people are catching up with me on this. :p

This might work, people who work frontline with autism are in very precarious employment position at the moment and on low wages and have been trying to get press for this for years.
I suppose they're the fiscal conservative, socially liberal party these days so they don't like saying out loud what that actually means for anyone marginalized.

Apparently (according to twitter) the 'n' word Catherin Noone used in defending her shitty autistic comments about Leo which the times printed as "n***er" was "nutter."

woah. I was wondering why everyone was lighting their torches and sharpening the pitchforks. Equating 'nutters' with autism is way over the line.

Like it or not a common (well mine anyway) layman's understanding of autism is "something about not processing "feelings" like the rest of which can make someone appear aloof or awkward". Ok, this is is too crude a definition for a very complex condition but let's not go nuts

oops.

woah. I was wondering why everyone was lighting their torches and sharpening the pitchforks. Equating 'nutters' woth autism is way over the line.

Like it or not a common (well mine anyway) layman's understanding of autism is "something about not processing "feelings" like the rest of which can make someone appear aloof or awkward". Ok, this is is too crude a definition for a very complex condition but let's not go nuts

oops.

Leo is just an arsehole though and socially awkward.

I appreciate that there is a commonly held understanding of what people with autism are like, even "high functioning" ones but it doesn't necessarily hold when you actually meet people who have autism. Noone's comments were really really shitty.

I've seen some suggest that it's a distraction tactic but I can hardly see FG going to her, "hey Catherine, because of your work on the 8th you might get a few votes from people who might not necessarily like us, why don't you piss all that goodwill away for us so people have to stand up for Leo"

I appreciate that there is a commonly held understanding of what people with autism are like, even "high functioning" ones but it doesn't necessarily hold when you actually meet people who have autism. Noone's comments were really really shitty.

I've seen some suggest that it's a distraction tactic but I can hardly see FG going to her, "hey Catherine, because of your work on the 8th you might get a few votes from people who might not necessarily like us, why don't you piss all that goodwill away for us so people have to stand up for Leo"

This is it. It's commonly held, and while it's insensitive and should not have been said the vast majority of people know she wasn't making a conscious attack those on the spectrum (you can leave that to the Fine Gael economic policy).

For what little this storm in a teacup will do it'll more likely work in FG's favour, woo-ing back those who were worried FG, as a result of their work on repealing the 8th, were agreeing too much with the 200 or so most online Irish people on Twitter who they see as just telling everyone they should feel bad for using the wrong words.

As someone who has a close relative on the autism spectrum this kind of casualisation of what is an amazing spectrum of attributes has me climbing out of my skin with rage at the sheer 'shir fuck it, its just some word I use to fuck people over' attitude on display here. Also as a potential guardian of same thinking someone so vapid is in any decision making position makes the future creak like a ship in ice.Fuck these pricks.

I hope you understand that I do agree with you; my point is she's in Fine Gael, why on earth would you be expecting compassion or understanding or even basic curiosity about the world from the free enterprise party?

As someone who has a close relative on the autism spectrum this kind of casualisation of what is an amazing spectrum of attributes has me climbing out of my skin with rage at the sheer 'shir fuck it, its just some word I use to fuck people over' attitude on display here. Also as a potential guardian of same thinking someone so vapid is in any decision making position makes the future creak like a ship in ice.Fuck these pricks.

100% agree on this. I'm in a very similar boat with a member of my family and I've very little truck with people casually throwing around derogatory words that stigmatise autism.

At the very least comments like that deserve to be noted and have their shittyness pointed out if for no other reason than it means people learn that they shouldn't be saying it, in much the same way that other shitty ways of talking have had to be coached out of people's vocabulary.

I hope you understand that I do agree with you; my point is she's in Fine Gael, why on earth would you be expecting compassion or understanding or even basic curiosity about the world from the free enterprise party?

I do. Hoover:

Simon Harris made his career in that world and is now minister for health.

Minister for Health Simon Harris has said his brother Adam’s autism led him to a political career.

“It simply would not have happened otherwise,’’ he said.

He said he was motivated by the absence of awareness and knowledge of autism and the fact that he had to campaign on issues like the provision of special needs classes.

I do. Hoover:

Simon Harris made his career in that world and is now minister for health.

I do wonder why he thought Fine Gael would be the party for him so. He seems like an alright sort, I assume Minister for Health is a thankless job for any party in Ireland but it can't be much fun when your party ultimately would probably prefer the whole thing be privatized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back