General election 2020 (5 Viewers)

Privatise, privatise, privatise
Being cunts. The racist birthright citizenship referendum was driven by Michael McDowell, the PD's were major drivers in the reduction of taxes during their period in prominence. They were a tiny party but they got the shit they wanted done.

Sounds like it suited FF to let them do that

ONE was of this country, no?

Pushing through just one of your many ‘good’ policies doesn’t seem worth it to roll over.
Just seems to backfire and make the smaller party look weak and In the long run, lose seats the following election.
So desperate to get in that they bend too much to the bigger party.
Still just not worth it IMHO
Remember Labour / water scandal?
So optics is more important than actually achieving something?

I’ll say it again,

Bar the ancient single example hermie gave,
what meaningful difference has any minority government party made in a coalition?

Plastic bag levy afaik and wiki has the following. They'll be in my top three I reckon and I trust them as much as any other neo liberal.

"In almost four years in Government, from 2007 to 2011, the Green Party contributed to the passage of civil partnership for same-sex couples,[32] the introduction of major planning reform,[33] a major increase in renewable energy output,[34] progressive budgets,[35] and a nationwide scheme of home insulation retrofitting "

Good thing you'd never have that in Ireland!

1920px-O%27Duffy_Blue_Shirt_Movement_fascist_salute.jpg

Got this from the brother

Anyone ever hear of this lot? Ailtirí na hAiséirghe? I never did until yesterday.
They were a 1940s political fascist party based in Dublin and Cork….and they made the Blushirts look like Santas elves.

It was a radical group of Irish language enthusiasts (we wouldn't dare to call Irish language enthusiasts fascists today, would we?)

Among their main ideologies...

• Removal of democracy, the country to be ruled by a ‘Ceannaire’ (cough-Toasieach)
  • Banning emigration, making it illegal to leave the island.
  • A national conscription army to be raised, to immediately invade and annex northern ireland
  • Banning immigration completely, except for those members of the Irish diaspora (No dogs no blacks, no Brits need apply)
  • The complete banning of the English language
  • Citizens to be spot fined for speaking English
  • The government to accept no representations unless in Irish
  • Ethnic cleansing of all citizens of a non christian-Gaelic background, replacing them with Irish diaspora members
  • To wait until the belligerents in WWII were worn out, and then for the massive Irish conscript army to invade and rule Europe.

I’m not making any of the above up, and before you write them off as fringe loonies, they had quite a lot of popular support, and were supported by several former \Fine Gael govt ministers, including a future Dail Ceann Comhairle

They even had their own swastika..

1579798369011.png

Note to consider.

We've never had a minority party in a non establishment (right/centre right govt).
And possibly we never will. We're close to a one party state in this country where the two main parties, who have always been in power are ideologically so similar. Look at the debate the other night. There was barely any debate at all. They'll continue to swap in and out of power as the dominant coalition partner and if that fails they're more than willing to prop one another up as we've seen.

So optics is more important than actually achieving something?

replace ‘optics’ with ‘principles’
And the answer is yes

Plastic bag levy afaik and wiki has the following. They'll be in my top three I reckon and I trust them as much as any other neo liberal.

"In almost four years in Government, from 2007 to 2011, the Green Party contributed to the passage of civil partnership for same-sex couples,[32] the introduction of major planning reform,[33] a major increase in renewable energy output,[34] progressive budgets,[35] and a nationwide scheme of home insulation retrofitting "

admittedly a few lil wins for the greens.
But they enabled FF to:
Allow Lenihan to bail out the banks and being the economy to its knees.
Removed medical card for over 70s
Allowed us troops bound for Iraq into Shannon.
And loads more.
Still worth it?

And possibly we never will. We're close to a one party state in this country where the two main parties, who have always been in power are ideologically so similar. Look at the debate the other night. There was barely any debate at all. They'll continue to swap in and out of power as the dominant coalition partner and if that fails they're more than willing to prop one another up as we've seen.

C U N T S

But they enabled FF to:
And loads more.
Still worth it?

I'm not defending them just laying out the facts for ya. :)

this is the thing. much as i like saoirse mchugh, if she's typical of the new generation in the green party, she's probably managed to turn me from someone who'd always give the greens at the very least my second preference, usually my first, to someone who'll drop them way down the list.
what's the point in being a political party with a manifesto if you've decided firmly to be a hurler on the ditch and render your manifesto moot?

she's a great example of perfect being the enemy of good.

also, the soc dems have come out with a strong environmental manifesto, and i'd be more likely to vote for them now if i thought they'd consider coalition.

So the green agenda will be better served if the Green party have no power rather than some power?
Unless they get a senior ministerial position I expect they'd have exactly zero power, and they just don't have the political experience to deal with FF/FG in coalition. I honestly think that they could effect more change by rabble-rousing from opposition

replace ‘optics’ with ‘principles’
And the answer is yes

But they enabled FF to:
And loads more.
Still worth it?
However you phrase it it's bullshit. The right have absolutely no principles. There's probably nothing more abhorrent to Fine Gael supporters than trade unions and civil servants but when they go into power with Labour (who clearly represent these groups) nobody bats an eyelid. And they certainly don't go right I'm never voting for those cunts again. Have you seen the movie Lincoln? He had to swallow all his principles, including several tonnes of shit. He lied, cajoled, bribed the opposition, got into bed with his biggest detractors - but he ended slavery.

As for the Greens, I'm not going to say they did well the last time they were in government. But what would have happened without them there? Probably much the same, plausibly much worse (they did ultimately bring down the government you might recall) and you'd have none of those lil wins as you call them. It's also worth remembering how small a junior partner they were. I don't think Bertie even technically needed them (initially) to form a government.

However you phrase it it's bullshit. The right have absolutely no principles. There's probably nothing more abhorrent to Fine Gael supporters than trade unions and civil servants but when they go into power with Labour (who clearly represent these groups) nobody bats an eyelid. And they certainly don't go right I'm never voting for those cunts again. Have you seen the movie Lincoln? He had to swallow all his principles, including several tonnes of shit. He lied, cajoled, bribed the opposition, got into bed with his biggest detractors - but he ended slavery.

As for the Greens, I'm not going to say they did well the last time they were in government. But what would have happened without them there? Probably much the same, plausibly much worse (they did ultimately bring down the government you might recall) and you'd have none of those lil wins as you call them. It's also worth remembering how small a junior partner they were. I don't think Bertie even technically needed them (initially) to form a government.

You’ve completely misunderstood me; I was referring to the principles of the smaller party

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back