General election 2020 (2 Viewers)

Not supply and demand according to this. Not that pointing it out will fix anything.

Theres also this Guardian article saying 30 thousand vacant homes in the "greater dublin area" although I'm not sure how accurate that is (you could halve it and still solve the homeless crisis overnight)

The problem is the will to do it, not an inability to do it. Its a completely shameful situation.

My social media is awash with in-fighting among the left and attacks on various parties for purportedly not caring enough about X or Y issue. It's as predictable as it is disheartening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Day 8 of the Campaign and nothing much of note happened.

Taoiseach wears brown, leaves town
Completely unrelated to the MRBI polls showing FG support crumbling in Munster, the Taoiseach took his FG roadshow to Mallow in Co. Cork, to be seen meeting “country people” and perhaps, to learn of their ways. He wore brown, to show his respect for their mud-based culture and bought sausages to prove he wasn’t vegan (regretfully, he didn’t attempt to hammer the point home by snacking on the raw sausages as he walked around. Maybe by next week’s poll.)

This is something that has stumped me by the way. Dublin City Council is mostly left wing, yet hotels are being thrown up everywhere, do they not have any control over what gets built in the city?

123616905-a-lot-of-euro-money-in-a-brown-envelope.jpg

Not supply and demand according to this. Not that pointing it out will fix anything.

Theres also this Guardian article saying 30 thousand vacant homes in the "greater dublin area" although I'm not sure how accurate that is (you could halve it and still solve the homeless crisis overnight)

The problem is the will to do it, not an inability to do it. Its a completely shameful situation.

30,000 does seem excessive - I'd love to know where that figure comes from
So what's the point in building more social housing, if the ones we have are sitting idle?

I thought you had to get your house/apt zoned to be Airbnb - which nobody does, but absolutely needs to be enforced
That 90 day rule is a bunch of hooey, cos once it's on Airbnb at all, it's basically gone as a rental

Also, not for nothing - but where's this prick in all of this
1579739023769.png
Get your kid out of the shelter, you prick

I dunno how left wing they are in action

Like there had to be absolute outrage about a Japanese hotel going in the Magdalene Laundry before they copped on, and they gifted the Iveagh to that developer
And they're also out there building white water rafting malarkey

That council strikes me that it's run on the favour bank and patronage like every other institution - the bit I do know about it
No one's clued in to the council though - they can usually fly under public radar
Today's paper - this is where their priorities are - a playground for Keegan and his canoes
This is why we're fucked

in a couple of places (some of it twitter, admittedly) over the last day or two, i've seen fresh coverage of saoirse mchugh's 'we're not going to prop up any government, period' declarations.
and why i can understand why to a large extent, it would make me ask - why the hell are you running for a seat, so? the green party is not going to get into power on their own, do you really think you'll do more from across the benches with no power than you'll do if you are a minority party in government?

as mentioned, i do understand her hesitancy. the small parties get blamed for the sins of the big parties in coalitions; but the whole point of getting into politics is to actually change things, surely (unless you're a FF or FG type who simply regards it as a nice earner)

It's a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation

I would be more likely to vote for them because of her and that promise. We need huge numbers defecting from FF and FG so that we don't always have to consider what minority is going to prop them up.

Social Democrats also get a lot of stick from left parties because they appear quite happy to prop up ( go into coalition with ) FF/FG.

Maybe by sticking to their principles and refusing to go into coalition, more people will see that there is a strong and principled alternative if we just get behind them.

Heh, ok

FWIW I think fixing housing in Dublin is going to be extraordinarily difficult. The root of the problem is demand, as far as I can see. All the parties talk about building more social housing, but how are govts going to make it happen when they couldn't in the past?
It's also that Fine Gael is a Landlord party who work with Landlords to ensure they are prioritised and poor people have feck all rights. If they can lash up hotels on a matter of weeks and change the landscape of the city, they can build social housing.

Thanks for this
So, what's the narrative?

We had oversupply in 2008
But the complete lack of additional units built for the subsequent 7 years or so meant that this oversupply was soon gobbled up by the economic recovery and population growth
Which led to demand taking over

Well, that will be my story at parties.
Oversupply is misleading. Oversupply of houses that only upper middle class/upper class could afford. Not houses for working-class/vulnerable minorities.

It's also that Fine Gael is a Landlord party who work with Landlords to ensure they are prioritised and poor people have feck all rights. If they can lash up hotels on a matter of weeks and change the landscape of the city, they can build social housing.
Who's "they"? Private sector developers are building hotels, not the government.

Do the state or local authorities employ teams of builders? I'd guess they don't, which means that if we want social housing we have to either change that or get private sector developers to build it, which has proven to be v difficult up to now.

AFAICS the most effective way to increase supply is for the govt/local authorities to just buy houses/apts as they come on the market. Does anyone know if they do this?

in a couple of places (some of it twitter, admittedly) over the last day or two, i've seen fresh coverage of saoirse mchugh's 'we're not going to prop up any government, period' declarations.
and why i can understand why to a large extent, it would make me ask - why the hell are you running for a seat, so?
I'd say this is exactly the right strategy for the Greens. If they go into govt they'll be crushed, because they just don't have the negotiation skills. If they get a good few seats and stay out of govt, whoever's in power will try and woo their voters by adopting their policies. The Green "agenda" (as opposed to the Green Party) will be better served by them staying out IMO

This 2017 podcast on the Housing Crisis is worth a listen:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Been a while since I listened to it but I remember it making the point that the government are inundated with paid experts and consultants arguing for private building contractors and no one speaking up for public housing.

Thinking about the case of a left alliance, the wisest tactic would be improve the lot of each actor in it. They'd want to be breaking ground on social housing within a year, pushing through actual climate/transport policy in year one and de-neoliberalising health within a year, by year four the transformation would want to be at the point the place is so far from the landlord/construction parties that they can't really find somewhere to place a foot.

I'm not saying this would happen but an alliance realistically should be going all in on an 8 year strategy.

and why i can understand why to a large extent, it would make me ask - why the hell are you running for a seat, so? the green party is not going to get into power on their own, do you really think you'll do more from across the benches with no power than you'll do if you are a minority party in government?

as mentioned, i do understand her hesitancy. the small parties get blamed for the sins of the big parties in coalitions; but the whole point of getting into politics is to actually change things, surely (unless you're a FF or FG type who simply regards it as a nice earner)
I'd be absolutely furious if my elected TD decided not to go into government. Shouting from the sidelines, I won't say it's completely useless but it's not far off it. Unless one of the partners in the coalition was the newly formed 'Natzee' party or some shit I'm voting for you so that you can make a difference. And to do that you have to, you know, do politics.

I'd say this is exactly the right strategy for the Greens. If they go into govt they'll be crushed, because they just don't have the negotiation skills. If they get a good few seats and stay out of govt, whoever's in power will try and woo their voters by adopting their policies. The Green "agenda" (as opposed to the Green Party) will be better served by them staying out IMO
So the green agenda will be better served if the Green party have no power rather than some power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back