General election 2020 (5 Viewers)

two things to consider here though also - methane from cattle farming, and the actual productivity of the land.

e.g. if you can produce twice as much food per acre (figure literally plucked out of the air) off market gardening, a trite argument would be to stop producing beef, and set half your total land aside for ecological purposes. beef is not exactly an efficient way of turning natural resources into food.
I tried market gardening once and all it got me was stuck in Arnhem with a load of tiger tanks driving at me

A couple of mates work on one of those government Scheme/scams. There is an unofficial cohort referred to as "the farmers" . These are long-term unemployed men who own (minimum) six seep for which they provide the bare minimum of care, but they qualify for extra government assistance for their "livestock".

bah :mad:

baaa even 🐑

Yes, and its sustainable because the maths work right now to make it that way thanks to various debt "instruments" that destroy billions of lives in the global south, and the ecology of planet with it. Neither of which are an issue because the maths work.
Erm ... is this directed at me? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

beef is stupidly cheap now. i think my local spar are selling something like 800g of mince for four quid.

how much would that cost without subsidies? and how much would the price of what is now €4 worth of carrots, say, change, were subsidies removed?
or in short, what aspect of farming is most heavily subsidised?

Erm ... is this directed at me? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

As I understand it (and I don't) I think Lili's point is the mechanism by which we work out costs is broken.
That there's a system in place which is extremely myopic, and not taking into account lots of factors that it should be.

I think.

A couple of mates work on one of those government Scheme/scams. There is an unofficial cohort referred to as "the farmers" . These are long-term unemployed men who own (minimum) six seep for which they provide the bare minimum of care, but they qualify for extra government assistance for their "livestock".

bah :mad:

baaa even 🐑

Right. So, my point is (and I'm increasingly struggling here) couldn't we just squeeze by with a few less sheep, and pay those lads to be tree-ers instead.

There's probably some culchie way of saying Tree-er, a person that is rearing trees, rather than sheep (a sheep-er).

It's the building of houses and business premises on agricultural land that causes a lot of flooding.

I'm not sure I believe that the fairly small amount of land that's covered with houses etc really contributes hugely. I'd say it's the much larger tracts of land that have been deforested and farmed into oblivion, resulting in the soil getting destroyed.

I'm not sure I believe that the fairly small amount of land that's covered with houses etc really contributes hugely. I'd say it's the much larger tracts of land that have been deforested and farmed into oblivion, resulting in the soil getting destroyed.

A lot of new estates got built on the former flood plains of towns. There was major flood in a new build in Sallins near me about 10 years ago. People were shocked to discover that their 400k homes in a place literally named Waterways might be vulnerable to flooding.

A lot of new estates got built on the former flood plains of towns. There was major flood in a new build in Sallins near me about 10 years ago. People were shocked to discover that their 400k homes in a place literally named Waterways might be vulnerable to flooding.
When did all this happen btw? Was it what became ghost estates or mad decisions in the 80s or something else? and do they know why? Straight up corruption or just bad planning or what?

Genuine questions, I've just always wondered.

bad planning, plus the boom where people were moving to areas that they had no knowledge of.
where the locals would be tutting and shaking their heads that someone was foolish enough to build an estate on mitchell's lower field, but people who were buying there because it's where they could afford, had no such knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back