General election 2020 (5 Viewers)

Ann Post wants the deal to fail, as an education for FFG about having made a load of concessions on environment and then to be told they can not have the conch of hibernia because that still is not enough.

I'm crossing my fingers for it to pass. C'mon Greens! Wish I had joined the party now
I actually tried to join but it was weird, I got no notification and they didn't take my money. Possibly they've suspended new member registration for the time being, which would make sense to be fair.

I doubt rejecting it will go well for them if we go back to the polls. Looks like a party not prepared to do the political work. Why not give it a go and pull the plug if they don't like it?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like a party not prepared to do the political work.

They were open to the wide left till PBP nixxed it, then they moved to forming govt with FFG. Possibly the most open to being in govt at their own expense party going at the minute. This dissent stuff happens in every party - She literally is saying she will do the work regardless of outcome.

I'm not sure I agree with your appraisal.

The work right now might be watching FF and FG fail. It's not like they're doing any political work except the same old, same old, that has seen them drop in favour every election for 30 years. Just because they need a scapegoat to blame all their problems on doesn't necessarily mean a party should take it for short term gains.

They were open to the wide left till PBP nixxed it, then they moved to forming govt with FFG.

I missed that happening, when was that? I just did a google and found results for S-PBP in 2017 ruling SF out for being too Tory.

If there's another election the firmly left parties will probably have a lot to worry about. The last election hinted that the seats that SF left behind them went left rather than to FF or FG. Fianna Fail won't be too happy at the prospect either given the general perception that FG have handled Covid well.

ended up swapping a couple of tweets with a former FG TD from my constituency, last night.
he was crowing that SF hadn't tried to form a government, i was asking how could they if FG (and FF) had explicitly ruled out talking to them.

if i do the numbers right, ruling out FF and FG would require a 5 way party coalition propped up by 14 independents (or single TD parties). that'd be astounding if they could even make it last a day.

They were open to the wide left till PBP nixxed it, then they moved to forming govt with FFG. Possibly the most open to being in govt at their own expense party going at the minute. This dissent stuff happens in every party - She literally is saying she will do the work regardless of outcome.

I'm not sure I agree with your appraisal.
Hey, I said 'looks like', but then it probably is my opinion as well. Optics will go a long way if we go back to the booths.

Wouldn't have thought the super left rainbow coalition was ever a strong option. They didn't have the 80 seats altogether did they? And if one of the more stable parties in it (the Greens) can't agree on this document, getting all the parties working together would be a struggle with a very strong FF and FG in opposition giving them grief.

Sinn Fein did have an excessive amount of hubris on results day when things went so well for them, every interview they had started with, we don't need to talk to FF or FG.

Hey, I said 'looks like', but then it probably is my opinion as well. Optics will go a long way if we go back to the booths.

Wouldn't have thought the super left rainbow coalition was ever a strong option. They didn't have the 80 seats altogether did they? And if one of the more stable parties in it (the Greens) can't agree on this document, getting all the parties working together would be a struggle with a very strong FF and FG in opposition giving them grief.
This is true, just reading this irishtimes article

Martin and Varadkar seek to sell coalition deal with Greens to their bases

Micheál Martin is clearly very willing to play the victim even as he the one in power, not sure Eamon Ryan is up to that, too busy trying to be fair minded. You'd probably need a very aggressive Green leader who would call them out on this shit.

Another vote seems fair enough tbh. Wasn't that always a strong option anyway after the votes were counted? Difficult to remember after the poxy covid.

Another vote seems fair enough tbh. Wasn't that always a strong option anyway after the votes were counted? Difficult to remember after the poxy covid.

YEah the overall with the possible left coalition is that all 5 woulda have to have been all out super confident about it from day one, walking about merrion street with arms linked talking about the first 100 days etc etc which in the dreaded terms of PR would have made a minority coalition a possibility. FFG had to try and stop another vote becayse the dreaded SF would be democratically elected or possible whipped them both, essentially retiring MM and LV on the spot after years of incompetence and supply.

The trouble with a re-count now is the whole citywest/nursing homes debacle which Leo is clearly trying to duck by getting into fake oppossition.

it is a flat tax - a flat tax is not one where everyone pays the same amount, but one where everyone pays the same rate.
Really because I work in tax and we would refer to flat rates (of reliefs or taxes) as the former not the latter? It's always different terminology depending where you work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back