General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

If there wasn't a pandemic we'd be talking about an election, the next budget might force one anyways. Eurowallet is currently talking about 2bn recovery and we down 6ish.
IREXIT or interest free loan from the EU, problem solved.

i suspect it's a fresh end for the greens, their activist base won't forgive them a single misstep. even one of their own negotiating team is refusing to endorse the deal.
Their activist base will whine but won't be able bring themselves to vote for anyone else (unless the party splits, which seems unlikely given the size of it). It's the casual green voters who they'll lose unless they can demonstrate some measurable progress on climate change goals

On one hand I'm disgusted that Micheal Martin is getting first go on the PS5

On the other hand you just need to look at England. Boris is in charge, Corbyn is gone. Corbyn has no influence. If ER/GR2020 hadn't stepped in (they were open to wide left roughly till PBP ditched) then It'd be zero enviro policy for 4 years. You actually have to be in the government to be the government, and the wide left is still a more significant voting bloc in Dail than ever before.

FFFGG don't want an election because it's too risky. Even with the 'opinion polls' showing increased support for them, another election would let SF run all the candidates that they didn't run back in January but would have got all the votes. It's of less concern to the greens, but FFFG will never go for that when they are so close to what they want unless there is no other choice.

FFFGG don't want an election because it's too risky. Even with the 'opinion polls' showing increased support for them, another election would let SF run all the candidates that they didn't run back in January but would have got all the votes. It's of less concern to the greens, but FFFG will never go for that when they are so close to what they want unless there is no other choice.

Dont disagree, though I do think the public might have forced it, if they were actual in public.

Piece of piss for Sinn fein now. Sit back, talk shit, become 2nd biggest party by default.

FF/FG will be aware that's the road ahead, so they should try their best not to be totally shit.

what's the deal with the grassroots movement in FF to stymie this? i haven't heard much about it, just a small number of members raging against light?

Pretty disappointed at people I know on FB absolutely ripping into the Greens. These are people who would be "green". Mainly giving out about how they're "going to be taxed".

Pretty disappointed at people I know on FB absolutely ripping into the Greens. These are people who would be "green". Mainly giving out about how they're "going to be taxed".

I've been giving out about the greens.
But I welcome our new tax overlords. I'm just pissed at essentially the same government again, pretending it's Entirely different

Until people stop seeing tax as a personal affront and something good for the community it'll be a tough argument to win. You'd need a society that genuinely doesn't rate success as wealth accumulation, which would also require a government that doesn't rate how well it's doing as high GDP growth... ultimately being Ireland it probably means waiting for the USA to do that and then following meekly a few years later.

Until people stop seeing tax as a personal affront and something good for the community it'll be a tough argument to win.

I think you can sell that if you put a decent PR campaign together. You can basically use the US as a model of what happens where people don't pay tax, in a country that has huge wealth.

There was a viral thing up a while ago with just interviewing punters in the street about US health costs vrs the NHS. That can be used as a template. Topics can be health costs, the difference in schools, the cost of going to college, local PDs camping out on roads pulling virtually everyone over in order to generate money to fund their department. There's loads of topics that can be gone through, and you can frame all of this in the context of: This is the outcome of not paying tax, is this what you want for our country?

You could align it with interviews with nurses, interviews with teachers, people working in the HSE, even coppers FFS, just talking about what they get up to on a day to day basis, putting a face on what precisely the tax money is used to pay for. It's not a faceless bureaucracy, it's that hot nurse I just saw who was helping that aul lad rehab after he fractured his hip.

Its hard to pay tax and see any legit value in it with FF holding the conch, and FG obvs too but particularly FF.

They've managed to turn the idea into something the greens did though.

I mean like, what about dissolving the green party? They have been corned by the FFG machine into being the whipping boy for A: anything unpopular to do with the environment and B: any increase in tax. If they all retired, where would the blame fall?

I've been wondering about that as well, are FF/FG just straight up climate change deniers? Is most of the country outside of the failing media and twitter mob? Is that what they're banking on?

Obviously there's also the major issues of if you're living paycheque to paycheque then the fate of the entire planet is a bit of a luxury, and, just thinking out loud, if transport was improved around the country then the people who think the carbon tax is purposely aimed at them by Dublin elites might become amenable to going green... so that will never happen under FF/FG.

By no means scientific but I tend to observe UTM's outlook as a bellweather. A: He doesn't collate voting FG with FF, he votes FG and doesn't see that this is now effective support for FF, not even MM becoming taoiseach has made him consider this, and he hates FF. B: Is environmentally concious, but untill told to do stuff, ideally by the govt there will be no self direction. That includes googling a train time instead of driving across the country.

Is there a specific reason he hates FF but is ok with FG?

Some teacher/union debacle in the ahern era. Apparently ahern sorted it by pitting the public against the teachers and owning the press, which made it really hard for the teachers to warn people what gouger he was. I get it and all but to state the very obvious for the bots, I'm not sure FG have ever been less of an opposition to FF as they are this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back