General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Get the cans in"
This is bigger than a World Cup to RTE

The news division sees themselves as an integral, if not preeminent part of the process, as they're the ones setting the rules of debate and enforcing them and doing punditry

In their mind, they are the stadium, the refs and the commentators

And they get to log an obscene amount of hours in the next few weeks - which means getting a huge whack of the summer off
That also giddies their blood

I know this isn't news to anyone, but worth saying nonetheless

He'll be fine, I think. Very active on the ground with the parish politics in this constituency, getting huge grants for the likes of Wesley college, etc. And largely, I think it's hard to unseat a Minister, whoever they may be, there's just a degree of brand recognition when people hit the booths.

Shatter on the make

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See that Fine Gael joke poster?

82106564_2555584334679418_1129719356834447360_n.jpg

On the first point - ooh, work and tax, how horrible :eek: Fucking grow up

Edit Pete beat me to it. Fuck being forced to work til 68 before being eligible for a pension.

Fine just bring in the Irish four day working week then, and bring it in in Finland as well, they deserve it as much as us, jeez.

You're aware that the number of workers per pensioner is falling, because we're living longer and having fewer kids, right? How do you think we should deal with it instead?

Tax the richest more, cut corporate tax loop holes etc etc. There's billions sitting in bank accounts that could cover pensions.

The pension age is rising because the population is aging because 12 years of FF drove the country off a cliff and all the young people had to leave to carve out a life that wasn't unemployment instead of all having families here.

I don't like FG but that poster is letting FF off the hook, considering some of that old guard are still in the dail, probably using this on their social channels.

The pension age is rising in part because people are living more healthy and productive lives in their 60s – the old formula is no longer applicable.
It works both ways – you can’t start forcing people out the door at 65 either – they still have good years left in them.

The demographics of an aging population is a western phenomenon; anywhere you have educated women really.
Babies are a default choice for women when they have no other options.
Fewer young people than old people is really a great sign that we’re doing something right.

Well US Life Expectancy is falling so we'll follow that in a few years. I figure give it a few decades and everyone will be dying below Glasgow levels except for our lords and masters from Silicon Valley who will quite rightly live forever. And we'll deserve it too, thinking we know better than the cleverest people in the world.

The pension age is rising because the population is aging because 12 years of FF drove the country off a cliff and all the young people had to leave to carve out a life that wasn't unemployment instead of all having families here.
Emigration may have made it happen quicker, but the population is aging everywhere, not just Ireland.

Try telling manual labour workers – many of whom actually have good jobs – that they'll still be digging holes in the ground and lifting heavy cases up flights of stairs until they're 70, see how fucking well that goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back