General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

This is known, wha? Hehe well I'm glad you and your associates are here to explain things to a simple country boy in a helpful manner :p
Well you could try reading the thread? If you disagree with that statement why not disagree with the content of it, and the evidence several of us have posted, and not just attack me?

I really wish you'd stop preaching at an imaginary right-winger, and engage with what I'm actually saying. Your anti-MNC rhetoric is a little close to "tech giants are bringing in too much money and foreigners and making things too expensive for the rest of us". I just wanted to make sure that wasn't what you meant
Please stop telling me what it is that I'm doing.

I'm sorry it feels like i'm painting you like a right-winger because I don't think you are one but I also don't think you are questioning what freedom of movement means, who it benefits and who it harms.

As for tech giants "bringing in too much money", if only, they are bringing in money via wages but not money via taxes. I have a problem with this. That's probably the simplest way of putting this whole thing.

Please stop telling me what it is that I'm doing.
See, what you're doing here is ... ok, sorry

I guess where I began with this is - afaics successive Irish govts have gotten as much as they thought was possible out of MNCs. Some from wages, some from direct taxation. In return the MNCs have gotten to operate in a tax haven, and easy access to the EU.

I agree that Irish govts probably fucked over the rest of Europe in the process, but I think they were probably acting in good faith in the best interests of The People Of Ireland.

I also think that if there's no real way to tell if things would be worse or better here had they acted differently.

I guess what I'm really arguing against is certainty. Everyone is so sure that their favourite policy X will product their desired result Y without fucking up Z, if only the stupid government would listen, but the world is a complicated place, economics seems to be mostly bullshit, and prediction is impossible.

If we could only acknowledge how little we know then I think we could all get along better, and understand things better, and design policies that are flexible enough to actually get results

See, what you're doing here is ... ok, sorry

I guess where I began with this is - afaics successive Irish govts have gotten as much as they thought was possible out of MNCs. Some from wages, some from direct taxation. In return the MNCs have gotten to operate in a tax haven, and easy access to the EU.

I agree that Irish govts probably fucked over the rest of Europe in the process, but I think they were probably acting in good faith in the best interests of The People Of Ireland.

I also think that if there's no real way to tell if things would be worse or better here had they acted differently.
Sure I agree with this, as I said in this post, it'd be interesting what the ministers who started this tax situation back in 1988 or so (IIRC) would think of our current situation.

I guess what I'm really arguing against is certainty. Everyone is so sure that their favourite policy X will product their desired result Y without fucking up Z, if only the stupid government would listen, but the world is a complicated place, economics seems to be mostly bullshit, and prediction is impossible.

If we could only acknowledge how little we know then I think we could all get along better, and understand things better, and design policies that are flexible enough to actually get results

Well, we've had 40 years of neoliberal economics that started with Thatcher/Reagan and they've led us to the very brink of the planet falling apart, not to mention our problems at home. The people who push for these policies aren't going "hmm, maybe we should consider something else, we're not sure", they're pushing harder for more financialization and more markets, so sometimes to stand up to this shit you have to present a brave, strong face and say "no, you are wrong and we are right and we have our evidence and all you have is broken world and a few ancient putdowns about Stalin."

edit: I suppose ultimately the left is supposed to be about solidarity, so when I see Ireland taking our little tax advantages and jobs from Silicon Valley and saying "cheerio lads, sure we're grand" to everyone else in Europe (or America, or the entire global south) that's hurting I find it hard to see it as an acceptable position.

Last edited:
Someone with letters on their name that aren't part of their original name wrote this and vaguely resembles something I might have said in this thread but am unwilling to check but I think people might enjoy reading it all the same

It's all going so well

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I follow a fair few journos pretty closely and the past few days, to put it mildly have been educational. A few of them (the ones who work for FG) have gone into some kind of green panic mode where clearly now that we are ruled by SF entirely we have literal days before we are marched off to gulags. The dude tweeting that daily mail stunt is literally married into FG fyi. I didn't see the invite for that presser so I'd hold my breath till that surfaces - loads of them all the time are statement/photocall format, I mean really what the fuck questions could anyone answer today other than 'I am negotiating all day, here is what we all look like in one room'.

someone a few tiers above me at work, who is in fairness from the country next door and cant be expected to understand the place is about five tweets off plainly saying that those bloody irish cant be trusted with democracy, its amazing. I'm actually starting to wonder do I need to have a talk with the dept about him going mad, he's doing this every day from 5am till 9am, then teaching future members of the press

I follow a fair few journos pretty closely and the past few days, to put it mildly have been educational. A few of them (the ones who work for FG) have gone into some kind of green panic mode where clearly now that we are ruled by SF entirely we have literal days before we are marched off to gulags. The dude tweeting that daily mail stunt is literally married into FG fyi. I didn't see the invite for that presser so I'd hold my breath till that surfaces - loads of them all the time are statement/photocall format, I mean really what the fuck questions could anyone answer today other than 'I am negotiating all day, here is what we all look like in one room'.

someone a few tiers above me at work, who is in fairness from the country next door and cant be expected to understand the place is about five tweets off plainly saying that those bloody irish cant be trusted with democracy, its amazing. I'm actually starting to wonder do I need to have a talk with the dept about him going mad, he's doing this every day from 5am till 9am, then teaching future members of the press
I think you need to go back on Twitter.

We need you there.

Ann Post was Irish Border (@Border Irish)and I claim my five pounds

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hmmm yeah that's fair, but I think it's reasonable for a government to prioritise keeping those jobs, no? Or creating more of them?

no.
I fundamentally disagree with that as a general rule of thumb.
Obviously depends on circumstances and varoius situations.

but Just because someone’s wage is higher doesn’t neccessarily make their job more important than someone else’s.

I think you need to go back on Twitter.

We need you there.

I'm not going back till I 'finish' a few projects. Even then i've doubts.

got in today and 'someone' 'else' has 'noticed' 'the' 'green panic'

IT IS FASCINATING.

Also tenuously related at best but there is a mad line in the Liam Mellows wikipedia.

A nationalist from an early age. He purchased a bicycle when resident at 21 Mont Shannon Road, Dublin. Then in 1911 he purchased a copy of Irish Freedom

I want that in my bio. I also purchased a bike.

Yikes. We really need to make sure these are powered by renewables
I agree, and imho this kind of thing is something that has to be tackled on a global, or at least an EU level. If we're going to build these data centres, and it appears we are, we should be getting all sorts of financial help to ensure that they are powered by as much green energy as possible, shooting for 100%. They're going to be powering god knows how much of the internet worldwide.

But, like, what incentive is there for any country in Europe to send us money to help with our energy problems?

Not an attack on you, just trying to think it through.

that article said:
The Government Statement on the “Role of Data Centres in Ireland’s Enterprise Strategy” recognised this exposure but to date no measures have been put in place to ensure that these costs are fully borne by data centre developers.
Oh god. Why do we always do the dumb thing?

It will all be powered from bike dynamos when the greens make cycling the only compulsory transport this will be enforced by a special armed Sinn Fein bike force in green beret and mirror sunglasses by then Varadkar himself will be homeless and often seen drunkly wandering the quays muttering "where did all go wrong" "Mary Lou bitch"

It will all be powered from bike dynamos when the greens make cycling the only compulsory transport this will be enforced by a special armed Sinn Fein bike force in green beret and mirror sunglasses by then Varadkar himself will be homeless and often seen drunkly wandering the quays muttering "where did all go wrong" "Mary Lou bitch"

Its pretty clear from the Liam Mellows wiki that this is a 98% possibility. they mention cycling MORE THAN ONCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back