General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i'm inclined to agree. if even just to infuriate leo at taking his chance to be taoiseach again, away from him,

the greens would need to have support of SF to walk, as outside the greens there is no party with any climate policy at all - If they walk and post next election retain the 12 seats but don't get into coalition we might not have any climate based party in govt if SF get a majority. Those solicitors know who pays their bills.

SF is the sword of damocles the GP can hold over the heads of FFG, so that'll be an interesting game of poker. i'm not sure the GP are as good at playing poker though.

I'm more interested in the politics behind the framing here that FFG can do an climate fucking shit that they want without consequence and it be totally accceptable and the 12 seat green party are responsible for anything that goes wrong.

i'm inclined to agree. if even just to infuriate leo at taking his chance to be taoiseach again, away from him,

People love saying this.

They are in govt to have that all night discussion.

If they weren't in govt, it woulda been solved under the table by ffg and there'd be no discussion.

But go unknowing or electioneering journalists anyways.

You can be at the table and be told to shut the fuck up and do as you are told, you have no say at this table, be grateful for the seat.

@ann post as the only green party defender on here, how are you on their nuclear power policy?

@ann post as the only green party defender on here, how are you on their nuclear power policy?

I'm not so much a defender, more i'm trying to keep a non tainted view of thier performance. FFG want the eternal 'the smaller party fucked up everything and should wither and die' mantra to continue for eternity so long as it keeps them in the top 2/3 realm. I see these kinda ultimatum things from journalists and by extension social media as part of that machinery, a bit of astroturfing. FFG absolutely fucking up just about every facet of irish life but they might scrape a coalition again with another partner party, greens not managing to overhaul the entire enviromental policy of a country from 10 seats but actually managing to do more than 10 seats should allow and i see these 'oh they'll never survive' this tone and I try and just plant it back into realism. 16% of the dail are clearly responsible for the entire environmental policy and the rest are just accepted to be fucking awful and yet tenable. If the greens collapse the govt, who's gonna want johnny collapse the govt in the next coalition? if they don't collapse the govt and wait for the democratic cycle to get rid of it they are in position for maybe 8 years of ten seats, which might get something done, and they have to play a long game.

I don't know thier position on nuclear. I just know in the last election no other party had any climate policy at all.

Mostly though, bashing the greens is easy. It's what people do a lot and my nature is to look at what lots of people are doing and assume they are wrong.

I wouldn't say AP is the only defender on here, I'd argue that they have done a reasonable job in the circumstances of trying to get their manifesto achieved. Their habit of having family arguments in public hasn't helped though, but it's been quiet enough on that front recently.

Like i said yonks back, I don't hold them responsible for the FF/FG policies, either positive or negative, and FF/FG will do nothing to decarbonize until capital steps in and tells them what to do, call me when this changes.

I'd just like to see us use nuclear since wind and solar power are under constant attack by the sensible, centrist dads running everything so now might be a good time to push for it. Might petition Google.

Last edited:
it does amuse me that SF are very often accused of being populist - surely FF are the most populist party? no agenda or ethos bar 'it's natural that we should be in power and we'll move whatever way the political weather vane points'? to be fair (!) to FG you at least have a better idea what their aims are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back